• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recovery Drinks

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This is a great thing from that article..encapsulates my thinking from when the internet was being shat upon the Earth 30 years ago...
"The internet can be less like an encyclopedia, and more like a dumpster at times. There may be a few pieces of gold in there, but mostly it is just shit."
:roflmao:

The bit about the hot drinks in winter is interesting as well as I often find that in hockey when playing in a cold barn...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
:roflmao:
The bit about ..

The bit about needing recovery drink before 45 minutes of descent is a prime example of why I was suggesting regenerative drag braking during low-power efforts on hub motor e-bikes over in the other thread.

FWIW it looks like I need to add sugar to my yogurt to get those ratios :eek:

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The bit about needing recovery drink before 45 minutes of descent is a prime example of why I was suggesting regenerative drag braking during low-power efforts on hub motor e-bikes over in the other thread.

FWIW it looks like I need to add sugar to my yogurt to get those ratios :eek:

I do know that Susie uses honey in the USOPC recovery drink.

One of the more interesting dietary experiments that I did was use a glucose meter, and set-up a spread sheet to track the effects of different foods. My half-marathon time was stuck at 1:30ish. My doctor, who I used to teach kayaking with decades ago, and who is now a big wall climber, prescribed it to help me dial my diet.

One of my take-a-ways was that our local, artisan ice cream had the same effect as a piece of salmon. The fat and protein balanced the sugar (honey in their case).

If nothing else, it justifies my ice cream intake. :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great topic. I always have a hard time with recovery drinks. I know they make sense, but darn it, I want my post-workout reward in the form of some salty chips and some ice cream!

But when I go hard and long, I typically come in the door and mix one up immediately. At the risk of finding out I'm doing it all wrong when @martyg posts Part 2 of the article, here is my "one liter recipe":

Once scoop of Hammer Recoverite, four ounces of unsweetened cranberry juice, four ounces of unsweetened grapefruit juice, and then enough water to make up one liter in total.

I've found that this helps keep me from sinking into what my wife and I have termed "the bike black hole" later in the day.

My blender bottle is a one-liter Zefal Magnum water bottle, half full of liquid, plus four ice cubes for agitation.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Great topic. I always have a hard time with recovery drinks. I know they make sense, but darn it, I want my post-workout reward in the form of some salty chips and some ice cream!

But when I go hard and long, I typically come in the door and mix one up immediately. At the risk of finding out I'm doing it all wrong when @martyg posts Part 2 of the article, here is my "one liter recipe":

Once scoop of Hammer Recoverite, four ounces of unsweetened cranberry juice, four ounces of unsweetened grapefruit juice, and then enough water to make up one liter in total.

I've found that this helps keep me from sinking into what my wife and I have termed "the bike black hole" later in the day.

My blender bottle is a one-liter Zefal Magnum water bottle, half full of liquid, plus four ice cubes for agitation.

Tom - unfortunately, Hammer declined participation when I filled them in on USOPC's blend being the standard. No idea what was up with that.

The macro nutrient profile is outlined, so yo can certainly take a look at your blend, and how it stacks up.

Enjoy.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think a recovery drink actually helps. I frequently ski several days in a row at Whistler, and I usually download in the gondola (I find the ski-out to be just a slog). Either a pint of chocolate milk or a pint of Endurox R4 (powder in a drink container until I fill it with water before downloading) drunk while riding down seems to allow me to have more energy the next day. Then at the base I can settle back with a pint of stout. Stout definitely is a food.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think a recovery drink actually helps. I frequently ski several days in a row at Whistler, and I usually download in the gondola (I find the ski-out to be just a slog). Either a pint of chocolate milk or a pint of Endurox R4 (powder in a drink container until I fill it with water before downloading) drunk while riding down seems to allow me to have more energy the next day. Then at the base I can settle back with a pint of stout. Stout definitely is a food.

Another month and we will be well into my hot tea sweetened with recovery powder season.

Sponsor

Staff online