• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommended ski and boot bags?

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
In the market for a ski and boot bag. Typically will be driving to go skiing but will occasionally be flying. Would prefer something with wheels but definitely not required. What do you guys recommend? Sportube seems to be a popular option but I wonder if it'd be overkill if we'll be usually driving rather than flying.

Thanks.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I bought this Dakine 50L to haul backpack style. Will provide a review once I fly with it in January.

Initial impressions:

Pretty ideal assuming I don't have any issues fitting carry-on on the larger planes. Backpack is comfortable when it's fully packed. You can fit boots, helmet, gloves, goggles and pants. Wear your coat as that won't fit with all the other stuff unless it's just a shell.

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/travel-bags/snowboard-gear-bags/boot-pack-50l/

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
That's a sweet looking bag for not too much. Might get that for a Sweden trip coming up, let's hope my RX12s are still with my friend!

Dakine gear is pretty great for the money, their quality and features are all very solid and well thought out for the gears purpose. I've purchased the 50L Boot Pack and the 18L Mission Pro ski pack, my friend purchased the Dakine Split Roller 110L. Been very happy so far and they were a good amount cheaper than many of the competitors selling similar items. Haven't had any warranty issues yet, so I can't speak to how they handle those things.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Paging @KULKEA to the phone. Several of us have picked up boot bags of theirs, and have been really pleased. Bonus is, they are a site sponsor. Not sure what they have in the way of ski bags.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Kulkea Boot Trekker, and love it. Holds everything I need for a day at the mountain and then some. Very well laid out, and easy to keep your gear organized.

Not sure about their ski bags, but I am thinking of getting one.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Transpack makes great stuff at a reasonable price.
I love the TRV Pro boot bag!
And the heated bag is very nice too.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Wheels are a big help in airports.

Check airline carry-on baggage sizes. Most boot bags don't fit. I'll never check my ski boots. I can rent or buy anything else, but I need my boots. I put one or two pair of skis into the roller bag, pad them for "protection" with clothing, put the walking-around boots, helmet, other stuff in the boot bag. Ski bag & boot bag count as one piece if under 50# (subject to change at the airline's whim). I use a carry on bag and sling my boots over my shoulder. That's everything.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
A very light, but tough, double-ski wheeled bag is the D Bag (originally named Douchebag, but that name no longer appears on the bag). Designed by Jon Olsson, ribbed design for lightness with strength.

An inexpensive, but very good compact boot bag is the High Sierra bucket boot bag. Fits boots, helmet and gloves, fits in the airline overhead and has lasted me six seasons and counting!

https://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Bucket-Boot-Bag/dp/B003R50BBS

Best!
Mike

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
My son has a transpack and he loves it. He can fit his boots, Helmet (with chin guard), goggles, gloves, Padded racing suit, racing shorts and other items. It is a tight fit to get that all in there however, but it would be in almost any bag to be honest. It's still pretty comfortable with all that in it as a backpack also due to the way your boots fit into the sides of it.

They are pretty inexpensive on Amazon also

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a double sport tube and while I feel fairly confident my skis are protected there are two cons for me with it. It’s a pain to pack vs a zippered ski bag and multiple times through the airport the closing latch and lock have come up missing which is the only way to keep it closed and wheel it. I now carry a spare lock with me in case I arrive and my case is open, but there is always the worry I’ve lost a glove or sock or something else that I’ve used as padding material.
I have a transpack boot bag and always carry it on the plane and it fits in the overhead with a little coaxing. A friend has a new Kulkea boot bag and I have to say it makes me want to replace my transpack.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Kulkea Boot Trekker, and love it. Holds everything I need for a day at the mountain and then some. Very well laid out, and easy to keep your gear organized.

Not sure about their ski bags, but I am thinking of getting one.
Got the bag.... Love it.

Sponsor

Staff online