• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommended edge angles for 100mm wide skis

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, I do a .75 and 3 on frontside skis up to 88, 1 and 2 for 99-105ish, and 1.5 and 3 for dedicated 115+ powder skis. PNW... pretty much every condition known to man week by week, day by day, sometimes hour to hour.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Does anyone know what the Fischers are tuned to out of the wrapper? I do know they are notoriously well tuned from the factory.
I have no idea, but I did Re-Tune these!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Does anyone know what the Fischers are tuned to out of the wrapper? I do know they are notoriously well tuned from the factory.

Well I just happened to tune my Fischer 115 FR skis yesterday. To my surprise they were 1 base 3 edge. There were portions of the base underfoot that weren't even quite at 1. I now have them set at 1/2 which is my preference for big skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will go with a .3 when I want to be on the snow, a .2 when I expect to be in the snow.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I run everything at a 3 degree side, my touring skis get a 2 degree tip and tail and 3 underfoot. Anything without touring bindings gets a .7 base, anything with touring bindings gets a 1 base. The 2>3<2 takes a while because I'm doing the tips and tails by hand, but it works really well.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My Fischer Ranger 102fr came out of the wrapper also at 1/3 with the best grind on the base I had seen on any of my recent skis.

I typically run 1/3 on everything, but recently I have stuck a 1/2 on the Renoune Endurance 98s and Icelantic Pioneer 109 I have.. no particular reason except that's what the Endurances came with and I didn't swap file guides when I was doing edges on the Pioneers last year.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My Fischer Ranger 102fr came out of the wrapper also at 1/3 with the best grind on the base I had seen on any of my recent skis.

I typically run 1/3 on everything, but recently I have stuck a 1/2 on the Renoune Endurance 98s and Icelantic Pioneer 109 I have.. no particular reason except that's what the Endurances came with and I didn't swap file guides when I was doing edges on the Pioneers last year.

What bindings are you mounting on the 102s?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Coach13 I had Pivot 14's on them for the first season, then I got different boots with gripwalk soles and had to remount this season with a set of Attack 14at's I had. I honestly don't really notice much of a difference between the bindings.

offtraildog

Booting up
Skier
Recreational skier and new to tuning. I use 1/2 on my Brahma (88) and Rustler 10 (102). I tune the edges (200/400/600) every 4-5 days of use and have plenty of grip for my level of carving.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Most skiers skid their turns at least to some degree and that is why if you have a ski shop sharpen your skis and you do not specify edge angles then in most cases you will get a 1/1.

I only ski in the west (rarely on the west coast) and all my skis are 1/2. If I ever encounter eastern conditions that would require 1/3, then I just call it quits and go home. (a patch of ice on a run doesn't count). So, yes I am a snow quality snob

As long as the ski is turning when and where I want to go, I don't care about skids. I also believe that most of a ski's grip charictaristics come from its construction and shape, not edge angle.

NOPE!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
It lasts slightly less then 2deg but that's so not an issue for me, that I never bother with this "downside".
Old wives tale...Not True! NO empirical evidence to back this up! No downside to a 3 degree. All my skis are tuned to a 3 including my Enforcer 100's except my slaloms are 4 degrees!

Last edited:
TS
C

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I put a 1/3 on them and skied them today. They worked well. I could get them to hold on firm snow and with slightly detuned tips and tails the skis would still slide if needed.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
3 lasts less than 2, according to my favorite tune shop.

Theoretically this is understood to be the case, but in the real-world I don't believe it has been proven. Evaluation of this "theoretically" involves considering the extremes; a 1/1 edge versus a 1/10 edge. The more acute the angle, the easier it would be to dull the "corner" of the edge. However when you get to directly comparing 1/2 to 1/3, it's hard to say that this will actually result in faster dulling of the edge.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Came upon this looking for some other info. I was surprised my Ranger 115 XTi came 1/3, but never had confirmation from another source that Fischer would put that tune on such wide skis.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Start with 1/2. If you need a bit more, then 1/3. It's easier to go from 2 to 3 than 3 to 2 if you don't like 3.
Actually it easier the reverse of what you say, just do a light pass with with a 2 setting, don’t need to bring the entire vertical to 2 just enough that the edge itself is 2.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If the edges is properly tempered, which most are, the difference in life between a 2, 3 or 4 is not measurable. If I consider what I put my metal working edges through and they generally have more aggressive angles and last, a little snow and ice on ski edges is not going to wear them out regardless of what they are set for.

Sponsor

Staff online