• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommended edge angles for 100mm wide skis

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just picked up a pair of Mindbender 99 Tis and am wondering what to do for edge angles. These are going to be primarily softer snow, out west skis vs my Salomon Blasts. I run 1/3 on the Blasts should I go 1/2 on these? Thanks.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I don't see a whole lot of downside to going with 1/3 on everything I own. It keeps me from putting the wrong edge on a pair of skis, in soft snow it doesn't matter that much what the side bevel is and on hard groomers it's nice to have a decent edge. So I vote for 1/3

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I just picked up a pair of Mindbender 99 Tis and am wondering what to do for edge angles. These are going to be primarily softer snow, out west skis vs my Salomon Blasts. I run 1/3 on the Blasts should I go 1/2 on these? Thanks.

I have 1ºBase and 2ºEdge angles on my wider skis. The "narrow" ones have 1/3.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I just had my 106 underfoot Soul 7's out on cordurice as I call it. Very firm. It took some extra effort to tip the skis enough to hold as compared to what I have to do on my race skis. I got there after a couple of runs. What I don't see is why I'd want less of a side bevel to make it even harder to get to critical edge angle.

I have mine with 3 degree sides.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
My point being that even though they're for soft snow, you often end up on the wrong ski for at least part of a day. If it's firm I want my skis to handle it, if it's soft I just don't see the bevel making anything worse.

strix

Terminal Intermediate
Skier
I haven’t really figured out why to not set the edge angle to 3 degrees.

People warned me not to (and even suggested de-tuning) on my snowboard while learning, but I’ve been loving the stability in ice/hardpack of 1/3.

For wide skis nearly exclusively for powder, I suspect the side edge angle will be irrelevant, so I’d just use whatever tool you already own. Like if you could only set it to 1/4, I’d probably shrug and say go for it. I’d be nervous, but my nervousness isn’t really relevant to real world performance. If you own a 94 degree tool you already know what you are getting in to. Same is probably true for a 93 tool.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I haven’t really figured out why to not set the edge angle to 3 degrees.

People warned me not to (and even suggested de-tuning) on my snowboard while learning, but I’ve been loving the stability in ice/hardpack of 1/3.

For wide skis nearly exclusively for powder, I suspect the side edge angle will be irrelevant, so I’d just use whatever tool you already own. Like if you could only set it to 1/4, I’d probably shrug and say go for it. I’d be nervous, but my nervousness isn’t really relevant to real world performance. If you own a 94 degree tool you already know what you are getting in to. Same is probably true for a 93 tool.
Thing is, sometimes even on a powder day, you can have to traverse ice etc.
Good edges are good even on powder skis.

TS
C

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
So is there a downside to a 3* side edge?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

1 and 2.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
So is there a downside to a 3* side edge?

No not that I can think of.
Maybe if one is not quite on edge, (stalling in the middle) and hits some pile of snow, they might get a catch more than they might feel if the side was a 1 or 2.
I don't really notice until I get to a 4 or greater side bevel.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Most skiers skid their turns at least to some degree and that is why if you have a ski shop sharpen your skis and you do not specify edge angles then in most cases you will get a 1/1.

I only ski in the west (rarely on the west coast) and all my skis are 1/2. If I ever encounter eastern conditions that would require 1/3, then I just call it quits and go home. (a patch of ice on a run doesn't count). So, yes I am a snow quality snob

As long as the ski is turning when and where I want to go, I don't care about skids. I also believe that most of a ski's grip charictaristics come from its construction and shape, not edge angle.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Start with 1/2. If you need a bit more, then 1/3. It's easier to go from 2 to 3 than 3 to 2 if you don't like 3.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've been using 1/2 on my powder skis, but really it's only laziness that's stopped me from changing them to 1/3. The edge this fall was still so good (little used) that I saw no reason to take a file to them pre-season. If I did, I'd probably go to 1/3.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does anyone know what the Fischers are tuned to out of the wrapper? I do know they are notoriously well tuned from the factory.