• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

lonewolf210

Jake K.
Skier
Since there seem to have been a couple Ski patrol threads already put here I figured I would ask here if this is the wrong place, mods please move it.

I just passed my OEC exam and will be a patrol candidate at Lee Canyon just outside Las Vegas this season. I know more then a few members here are long time patrollers so any recommendations on what to keep in my pack besides the stuff listed in the OEC book?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats on the accomplishment.

From the Midwest, I think we tend to carry not as much gear. Our trauma bags are in easy range. Majority of our injures are shoulder, leg and head.

Personally I have a seat belt cutter vs scissors, works better for me. Some people create their own cravats out of kid friendly designs. I would think since it looks like you have harder terrain, you might want to carry more in a back pack.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Jake, it's a shame we never met up while you were around here, but congratulations. The Lee Mtn patrol may have/probabaly has a list of supplies they want you to carry so I won't go too far into that other than to say that I carry stuff geared more toward airway, breathing, and circulation (ABC!) than things like splinting. I want to be able to work quickly on stabilizing a patient while calling for other stuff (trauma pack, airway pack, drugs, etc) as needed. <-This is assuming I come across a patient or am dispatched while skiing. If I'm at a station, I take the appropriate pack/supplies - trauma/airway/etc. - that are kept there.

That said, I'm not too familiar with OEC protocols, we're EMTs or paramedics where I work so some of this stuff might be outside your protocols. But for medical supplies I carry basic airways (NPAs w/ lube, OPAs) and an O2 system-compatible CPR blob/mask, aspirin and epinephrine, glucose, vinyl gloves (several pair), an assortment of gauze pads and sponges, bio-occlusive dressings, Kerlix and gauze rolls, eye pads, triangles, medical tape, bandaids (Spider-Man and Snoopy), trauma shears, plastic bags, stethoscope, a BLS guide (also available on my phone), and on some days as appropriate heat packs (which tend to break or self-activate if crushed).

I also carry non-medical stuff geared toward rapid response/stabilization and humdrum daily work. That stuff includes reading glasses, a lighter, a pocket knife and small vise-grips (or a leatherman type tool). Webbing, 'biner, mini-rescue 8, and 160' of 6 mm rope for chairlift self-evacuation, and also a couple 'biners, slings, prusiks, cordolettes, for cliff rescues (just to get me to the person and stabilize them, then call for the cavalry). Obviously training and local procedures will determine a lot of that. And whistle, pens, sharpie marker, paper pad, forms, courtesy cocoa cards, trail maps, sunscreen, radio (maybe a spare battery), and earplugs. And zip ties!

Other things I carry as needed include beacon/probe/shovel, and a headlamp.

I wear a vest instead of a pack, just a couple people where I work carry packs. But what I want to say is develop a system for placing this stuff and memorize it. I always have my things in the same pocket/place and I can reach for, say, aspirin or airways or abdominal pads or PPE or a Snoopy bandaid without having to look for it. Grab and go to work.

I think that's most of it. Again, congrats and good luck.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
OEC can carry most of your list except medicine. We can give glucose, but that's about it.

I would love to get a HH vest but they don't seem to sell to NSP patrols. :(

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Patagonia makes a really nice vest. You might have to contact them directly.

TS
L

lonewolf210

Jake K.
Skier
OEC can carry most of your list except medicine. We can give glucose, but that's about it.

We can give aspirin just not epinephrine. In Nevada BLS can also give Narcan but I don't anticipate encountering too many opiate overdoses while skiing. Is there a good place to buy med supplies or is Amazon as good a place as any?

I might get a vest eventually but I have been skiing with a pack for a while now so that's what I was planning on getting.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We can give aspirin just not epinephrine. In Nevada BLS can also give Narcan but I don't anticipate encountering too many opiate overdoses while skiing. Is there a good place to buy med supplies or is Amazon as good a place as any?

I guess Amazon, but doesn't the ski area provide it?

Not big fan of Patagonia.

Ookaay then, there are other manufacturers I guess.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glock 19 easily stored away, great for them unruly snowboarders

You can laugh. but I came across a Diamondback 9mm lying on the snow in the middle of a green run during spring break last year. Guy had dropped it "by accident." So with that in mind I'd say maybe an armored vest is worth considering, at least during busy times. :huh:

And FWIW that Diamondback 9 was real small - designed to be easily carried (and dropped I guess) for CCW. Just sayin'.

We have to provide our intial gear set up. its an all volunteer patrol

Ah, well...

Dwnhlldav

Booting up
Skier
Not big fan of Patagonia.

Dwight, What's the deal? We're going to have to take this one out back... (Full Disclosure, Dwight and I patrol at the same hill. His kids taught my kids to ski)

Patagonia sponsors the best podcast ever! Dirtbag Diaries. It's reason enough for us to give them all our money.

Congrats on passing Jake! I'd ask your hill what they require. Also talk to the veteran patrollers about what they carry, though you'll find a huge range of what, and how much is carried by each patroller. I'm in the midwest, at my home hill our trauma bags and oxygen are at most 3 minutes and 30 seconds away so I carry a lot less than I would otherwise. Basically, the things that would be required for issues that can't wait that 3 minutes and change, so things for ABCs. It all fits in my vest. I've toyed with carrying stuff to self evacuate from the chair, but it's just not needed. Even if all of the patrollers on a shift were on the chair when it broke down, enough of the management and lift crew have been trained on chair evac well enough to at least get the patrollers off quickly. I keep a much more complete kit in a backpack in my car, and will carry that when I sign on at Mount Bohemia, where back up can take a bit longer to get there.

I have a Patagonia vest, and love it. I also had a mountain uniforms vest. It was adequate, but the Patagonia vest is more thought out, and better made. My only gripe is that I can't fit my ham-fists in the zippered chest pocket. But I have gigantic hands...

I tried some jackets, but I'm rather picky so prefer to wear the jacket I want, with a vest over it.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Lots of people have this question so I think its worth doing a bump.
Hers a picture of what I carry in my vest. It's changed a little over the years, I now carry self evac rope and belay stuff and I've dropped some of the stuff like glucose and cpr mask.
patrol vest.jpg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
A few posts have mentioned carrying or not carrying glucose. It is expensive and has an expiry date.

I am a retired Occupational First Aid attendant who mostly worked in remote logging operations on B.C's west coast. At one point I was responsible for equipping and proper placement near logging crews of 11 industrial ambulances. I found I was throwing out more glucose than was ever used, so we switched to non dated tubes of cake decorating icing, the kind that are used to write "Happy Birthday" on cakes. No expiry date and cheap compared to buying glucose.

One other thing I did was stock first aid backpacks with plastic zip lock bags marked "bleeding control", with pressure dressings, sterile gauze pads, artery clamp, tourniquet, band aids, butterfly strips, adhesive tape; all in one easy to get to bag.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
A quick question for you. Do you have the vest in your regular cloth size, or one size up?

Lots of people have this question so I think its worth doing a bump.
Hers a picture of what I carry in my vest. It's changed a little over the years, I now carry self evac rope and belay stuff and I've dropped some of the stuff like glucose and cpr mask. View attachment 43998 .

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
A quick question for you. Do you have the vest in your regular cloth size, or one size up?
Actually mines a tad small for me, vest are really made to fit over a jacket so they are sized big, in other words if you wear an xl buy an xl vest and it will fit over your stuff, someone gave me mine and its a large from cascade and while I'm nominally an xl it fits okay ...just a bit snug.

Sponsor

Staff online