• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Recommendation for resorts in Hokkaido

Juliedang

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi guys! My name is Julie and I am new to the forum! December this year I plan a vacation to Hokkaido in one month for skiing; hence, I need to find a studio for long term rental. If you know, please suggest some names for me. Thanks in advance!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I've got as far as early planning stages for a trip rather than actually visiting but from my research I'd probably avoid Niseko and bunker down somewhere like Furano

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
What's your budget? What kind of skiing do you like? How deep do you want to dive into the Japan pool?
Is this a "ski" trip or a Japan trip with some skiing? Do you speak/understand any Japanese (or Aussie)?
Any particular reason to choose Hokkaido? Have you looked into Honshu ski regions?

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
So many options..... as Jim mentioned above, we don't know your budget or what you are particularly looking for, in a home base. My personal experiences relate to Hokkaido and in particular, the Otaru and Furano areas. Niseko has some amazing skiing, but it's crowded (for Japan) and very Westernized. It does get a lot of snow and there is plenty of good skiing to be had and I'm sure, decent options for studio apartments. It's just not my cup of tea, but you might like it depending on what you are looking for.

I do like Otaru, it's very Japanese and not necessarily a ski town as such, but has plenty of good resorts close by. I think if I was going to be doing a month in a ski town in Hokkaido, I would start the search in Furano. Furano is a great resort in it's own right; it has good skiing, long runs, great sidecountry, good amenities and is a nice blend of Japanese and Western culture. It's not been over-run yet! There's plenty of other resorts close by, especially if you have transportation, but there are some public transport options (though the train is not direct to a lot of places, if you have your own wheels, then you can really get around).

I think more info on what you are really looking for in your search for a location, will help people give you more focused information.

- Matt

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Juliedang, from the way you posed the question, sounds like you are looking to stay at one single location and ski nearby rather than a month of ski safari around the whole island.

In addition to the comments and questions above, note the new minpaku law (which recently went into effect) reduced 80% of rental property inventory (including airbnb). This translates into tighter lodging supply, so you should start looking sooner than later. Good luck.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
What's everyone got against Niseko? Yes it's westernised, but honestly living in a more western environment is just easier. I like Japanese culture fine, but being able to do things in english goes a long way. Also, some seasons, like last year, you won't find better snow anywhere in the world.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I love Niseko, but it has (imho) gotten overcrowded in the last 4 or 5 years, and expensive. The loss of so many low to mid price lodging options in favor of megabuck condos was perhaps inevitable but nonetheless a shame.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
I love Niseko, but it has (imho) gotten overcrowded in the last 4 or 5 years, and expensive. The loss of so many low to mid price lodging options in favor of megabuck condos was perhaps inevitable but nonetheless a shame.

Fair enough, I've been there 10 years, and it's obviously busier than it used to be, and believe me the accommodation situation has affected me as well, but I think it's still a great place to ski.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Absolutely. Hard to beat a mountain where you can depend on a foot or more of great powder three/four times a week from late-December to mid-February.

Sponsor

Staff online