• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommend me some soft snow skis for New England

Rossness

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Howdy, this is my first post here-

Last year I picked up a set of Kastle MX84's and I love them! They're more or less wide race skis- rockets attached to my feet! I demo'd many skis last year and got the Kastle's because they held the best edge, It was very hard to kick the tails out, and they were stable- especially when landing airs. They're AMAZING hardpack skis :D

They're also pretty abysmal skiing in anything over a dusting of powder or wet snow. I was up at magic the other day- they got about two feet of wet snow. My ski's just sunk. I couldn't kick the tails out. I wasn't a happy camper :( Also on resort pow days, they're not the best.

So, I'm looking for a second set of skis that would be better suited to New England powder days/ soft snow/ wet snow/ tree skiing/ off piste. My Kastle's are all-camber. That's what I'm most comfortable on. I tried a full rocker ski once, and felt uncomfortable making pivot turns- its just not the way I know how to ski. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get that ski to hold an edge.

I know the limitations of an all camber ski in pow, but don't feel comfy on an all-rocker ski either. So, I think I'm looking for a camber/ rocker hybrid ski. I'm a big guy. I weight about 260 pounds. I'm a powerful skier and typically like some metal in my skis. What skis should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Howdy, this is my first post here-

Last year I picked up a set of Kastle MX84's and I love them! They're more or less wide race skis- rockets attached to my feet! I demo'd many skis last year and got the Kastle's because they held the best edge, It was very hard to kick the tails out, and they were stable- especially when landing airs. They're AMAZING hardpack skis :D

They're also pretty abysmal skiing in anything over a dusting of powder or wet snow. I was up at magic the other day- they got about two feet of wet snow. My ski's just sunk. I couldn't kick the tails out. I wasn't a happy camper :( Also on resort pow days, they're not the best.

So, I'm looking for a second set of skis that would be better suited to New England powder days/ soft snow/ wet snow/ tree skiing/ off piste. My Kastle's are all-camber. That's what I'm most comfortable on. I tried a full rocker ski once, and felt uncomfortable making pivot turns- its just not the way I know how to ski. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get that ski to hold an edge.

I know the limitations of an all camber ski in pow, but don't feel comfy on an all-rocker ski either. So, I think I'm looking for a camber/ rocker hybrid ski. I'm a big guy. I weight about 260 pounds. I'm a powerful skier and typically like some metal in my skis. What skis should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Plenty of choices nowadays.

My resort powder skis are wide and full rocker. I really like them specially in tight trees they are amazing but still have some beef for wide open terrain at speed. All my other skis have a lot of camber.

That said, you are looking for something else and I have demoed a bunch of skis that fit the bill.

The Kastle BMX 105's come to mind right away, even the 115's.

I loved the Dynastar Legend 106's in 188cm.

The Black Crows Corvus in 188cm is another ski I really liked.

None are noodles.

TS
Rossness

Rossness

Skier
Plenty of choices nowadays.

The Kastle BMX 105's come to mind right away, even the 115's.

None are noodles.

I should probably have mentioned that since these are not going to be my main set of skis, I can't really afford to spend the kind of money that Kastle's cost. I skied the FX95 last season- I think its the cousin the the BMX series and it was stable but I didn't find it all that fun- then again, it was skied on icy slopes at Stowe.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
How versatile do you want the ski to be?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I should probably have mentioned that since these are not going to be my main set of skis, I can't really afford to spend the kind of money that Kastle's cost. I skied the FX95 last season- I think its the cousin the the BMX series and it was stable but I didn't find it all that fun- then again, it was skied on icy slopes at Stowe.

No powder ski, or a ski designed to be really good in powder and trees, will be great or lets say enjoyable on an icy slope. Pick your poison.

TS
Rossness

Rossness

Skier
How versatile do you want the ski to be?
It doesn't have to be super versatile. I have the MX84's for the groomers, skiboards for the park. These are meant to be my more off piste focused skis.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
You would be one of the few guys that would love the Faction Dictator 3.0. At 106 underfoot with that smooth Swiss made feel these boards have been crushing all the great soft snow we have gotten in Vermont. Marketed as a western type ski it is hard to find out east. Have skied my Dictators the last 10 days that I have been out at Killington. Being a 250# clyde the 182 length is perfect to dart thru the tight New England trees. Paired with your MX84’s you would have a killer quiver of two skis that would handle just about any condition.

TS
Rossness

Rossness

Skier
I've asked a few skiing friends too and these are their recommendations. I wanted to double check here, to see if their recommendations would be good for me?
1)Nordica Enforcer 100 (this seems to be the ski most people recommend)

2) Moment Deathwish- I started looking at this one and its got a weird camper profile. I'm not sure if it works or its just a gimmick. I skied a Libtech ski once with a weird sidecut and wasn't a fan.

3 & 4) J Skis The Metal & The Friend

5) Elan Ripstick-
From my initial research, these might be a little soft flexing

6) Stockli Stormrider

7) Bent Chestler

I'm looking into the black crows line, thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No powder ski, or a ski designed to be really good in powder and trees, will be great or lets say enjoyable on an icy slope. Pick your poison.
Got to disagree with this. Until you get to real glare ice, where you want a true slalom ski, a powder ski will work just fine on icy slopes. Other types may be even better, but powder skis don't have to be a disaster elsewhere. Provided they aren't Soul 7's and provided you put a real edge on them, which for some reason is often not done.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Provided they aren't Soul 7's and provided you put a real edge on them, which for some reason is often not done.
I see I'm not the only one with this sentiment.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I've asked a few skiing friends too and these are their recommendations. I wanted to double check here, to see if their recommendations would be good for me?
1)Nordica Enforcer 100 (this seems to be the ski most people recommend)

2) Moment Deathwish- I started looking at this one and its got a weird camper profile. I'm not sure if it works or its just a gimmick. I skied a Libtech ski once with a weird sidecut and wasn't a fan.

3 & 4) J Skis The Metal & The Friend

5) Elan Ripstick-
From my initial research, these might be a little soft flexing

6) Stockli Stormrider

7) Bent Chestler

I'm looking into the black crows line, thanks for the recommendation.

I wouldn't put the Deathwish and the Libtechs in a similar camp. I've skied both. The Deathwish is a much more dialed ski and has a normal sidecut paired with its unique camber profile (that happens to make it unusually fun on hardpack for a ski of its waist width.)

Personally, if you like the MX84 it means you can handle a good bit of ski. I'd personally lean a bit more off-piste focused than the enforcer to pair. The J Ski The Metal is a unique ski in that it is heavy and metal laden, but has a very nice medium flex that makes it easy in tight spots like Eastern trees.

The new Bent Chetler would not be on my list for you. The latest iteration is a very light ski and will feel ping-y compared to your MX84. It's a wonderful ski for out west, but where you ski more ... diverse ... snow conditions in the east something with a bit more beef seems appropriate.

Other 10X skis with metal I'd add to your list:

- Moment Commander 108
- Blizzard Rustler 10 or 11
- 4Frnt MSP 107

SkierGolferNH

Putting on skis
Instructor

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
How tall are you? You gave us a weight, but that's just one parameter.

What you like in a frontside ski should be different from what you want to be skiing at Magic. Don't write off skis because you think they won't be 'enough' for you, east coast tree skiing requires a different tool than east coast hardpack. There might be some adjustment to the new ski, let it happen- you'll be better off in the end.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Got to disagree with this. Until you get to real glare ice, where you want a true slalom ski, a powder ski will work just fine on icy slopes. Other types may be even better, but powder skis don't have to be a disaster elsewhere. Provided they aren't Soul 7's and provided you put a real edge on them, which for some reason is often not done.

True. I mean, If you are a good skier you can edge a ski into almost any type of snow. No doubt. But, while it can be done it doesnt mean they are comfortable doing that, specially when we are talking about skis designed to be great in powder. There are always design compromises.

I used a pair of Soul 7's and got through very firm hard packed slopes no problem BUT I had to keep my speed low. The tip chatter at speed was unreal but the ski held, up to a point of course. So one can make almost any ski work for you in almost any snow condition but there are much better options for each case.

TS
Rossness

Rossness

Skier
How tall are you? You gave us a weight, but that's just one parameter.

What you like in a frontside ski should be different from what you want to be skiing at Magic. Don't write off skis because you think they won't be 'enough' for you, east coast tree skiing requires a different tool than east coast hardpack. There might be some adjustment to the new ski, let it happen- you'll be better off in the end.

5 foot 10, about 257 pounds last time I got on the scale. Athletic build (though I don't know if that matters). What else? I have foot/ ankle medical issues up the wahzoo and rock a custom-made pair of Daleboot ski boots. I give up a little performance for comfort (I wouldn't be skiing otherwise). Most of the time, I like going wicked fast. I feel most comfortable on the slopes when I'm zooming past everyone else. Off trail, I like soft pillowy snow. I like to huck my self off small obstacles/ cliffs/ jumps. I'm also pretty comfy in a terrain park hitting the big air jumps- landing is the hard part ;)

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
My thoughts: Nordica Enforcer 100 or Blizzard Bonafide. I like the Bonafides as they still hold a great edge if you jump on a ice covered trail or if all the goods get pushed off the trail. I’ll probabky add a set of Rustlers to the collection this winter.

TS
Rossness

Rossness

Skier
So...

I skied a bunch of things this weekend at killington- they were having demo days :) And the ski I liked the most was the Soloman QST106. I don't think it had any of the things I asked for, but something about it just feels right. Its damp and easy-peasy on soft snow. I actually like buttering my turns on it- Go figure that one. It could hold an edge ok on a groomer and it was intuitive to use. skiing it aggressively, it was stable down the fall line :) And the biggest part was that is was FUN and lively. It was like the whole mountain could be my big playground/ terrain park. Honestly, I could see it as being the ski I asked for, I just didn't know enough about it to ask correctly. I'm thinking pretty hard about buying it. The longest it comes in is a 188. would that be right for my body size (5 foot 10 and about 260 pounds) or should I go shorter?

I tried a bunch of other stuff too- Black crows Daemon was a great frontside ripper. Very damp at speed. I'd never skied a black crows and was super impressed with them. Fat-ypus Dvice- which was definitely ok, but not a ski that I loved. The QST99 seemed to have less endgehold on hardpack but otherwise it was very similar to the 106. Some company called Meier, I'd never heard of them. I jumped on a set of their big powder boards and realized how they were not exactly intended for your average east cost day. I tried a more all-mountain and it was ok, but not really fun.

So I had someone tell me I'd hate the Soloman QST's and I actually wanted to try them to see exactly why I'd hate them so much???- And in reality, I ended up loving them! So, I also tried out the Rossi Soul 7's, thinking very much the same thing. And... I absolutely hated them! By far, one of the worst ski's I've ever used. A handful to use. Super slow. Numb to react. The opposite of what I like in a ski. It was awful :(

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online