• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recco here, there and everywhere

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have a hand held Recco detector in all of the top shacks at the resort where I patrol. We practice with it periodically but it usually stays in the top shack unless it is required for a search. On the other hand, we are required to wear our beacons, shovel and probe at all times on the mountain and we practice beacon searches almost every day. We can respond most places on the mountain very quickly with beacon searches since every patroller wears one. It would sometimes take longer to get a Recco detector in place for a search. Our patrol is very proficient with beacon searches and Recco searches are more difficult. Recco is useful for finding lost items containing metal and I found a quest's lost GoPro in the POW last season. We removed the Recco reflectors that came in our uniform ski pants since they potentially can interfere with a Recco search and a beacon search will be quicker if we get caught in a slide. Bottom line - beacons are your best bet if you want to be found quickly.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Seems like Recco would be great for end of season cleanup.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
BTW, I'm not arguing any claims that a possible cell phone app would ever be better than an actual 475mh beacon for real back country skiing in terrain where avalanche is a real thread under certain conditions.

What I was saying is that if the popular ski track applications also "pinged" on a designated standard cell capable frequency and had a find setting with direction and distance display that could be used short range that might save some tree well or other shallower traps and injured skiers. If' you're heading anywhere where you should check the avy forecast and bring a cert beacons should always be required, not just a cell phone app.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid