• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rear wheel drive performance car for skiing?

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dialect_Survey_Results.jpg

Pretty cool what you can find on this Internet thingy!

I introduced my son to them for the first time in the big storm here last week. He thought they were the coolest thing. We did so many he eventually got bored and wanted to go home after an hour or so. Trying to get me to go home he said, "Dad, you know there are cameras on all these houses?". Good point. AFAIK, I never ended up on the news or reported to the police. I dropped him off, switched trucks, and took his twin sister out and did the same. At home, my son thought it would be funny to tell my wife that I got pulled over by the police. I didn't, but she believed it and didn't even bother to ask me about it until the next day. Damn kids. :D

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
In my neck of the woods we learned to drive in the mud with a 4x4. Doing donuts was part of the experience. Another driving tip- roll up your window unless you like mud inside the cab.

James

Out There
Instructor
View attachment 86342

I introduced my son to them for the first time in the big storm here last week. He thought they were the coolest thing. We did so many he eventually got bored and wanted to go home after an hour or so. Trying to get me to go home he said, "Dad, you know there are cameras on all these houses?". Good point. AFAIK, I never ended up on the news or reported to the police. I dropped him off, switched trucks, and took his twin sister out and did the same. At home, my son thought it would be funny to tell my wife that I got pulled over by the police. I didn't, but she believed it and didn't even bother to ask me about it until the next day. Damn kids. :D
So, what did you tell your son they were called?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never heard it called a cookie before.
We called it spinning chitties..

Same. "Shitties". I think it was very regional back then, before the internet. Northern Minnesota for me. When I moved down to Minneapolis for college, it was donuts.

EDIT: Opps, missed the map from @tball. You can see my green square up there at the top of MN. :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
View attachment 86342

Burnsville MN was shitties for sure in 1980. I suspect that "Other" is probably something like "Oh crap we're gonna die!!!"..

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, what did you tell your son they were called?
I think I said when I was growing up we called them cookies, but lots of people call them donuts these days. I didn't mention that lots of those people moved here from warmer states and can't drive in the snow! It used to also be "pop" and now everyone says "soda." Outnumbered!

The sad thing is around here, you would get charged by the police for doing doughnuts in an empty parking lot. :(
Yeah, cops would not be happy here either. I like to think I was doing a public service in addition to having fun. With 14 inches of snow, clearance on most vehicles made driving difficult. I got lots of thanks and waves from folks for breaking trail and packing down the snow for them.

Surprisingly, 4x4 and studs were the best combination for spinning whatevers in those conditions. The traction in the front really helps with establishing a pivot point and not just pushing, and it's much more controllable driving the front wheels too as opposed to RWD. Too much traction in the rear is easily resolved with your right foot. :D

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
The sad thing is around here, you would get charged by the police for doing doughnuts in an empty parking lot. :(

I will point out that it's important to consider the lot surface and anything in the vicinity. I may or may not have been in a Suburban when a coach I worked with did some serious donuts in a gravel lot, which coincidentally happened to be the evening before someone discovered a shattered porch slider in an unoccupied room.

Around here, assuming nothing was damaged and you weren't an ass to the police, I'd expect they'd just tell you to move along. I'd try not to prove it, though, because I'm sure they could come up with a reason to write a citation if they wanted to.

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Found another video where the Everyday Driver guys updated driving their FRS in the snow:

RWD in the snow can be so much fun! I think I'll have to take a lunchtime spin in my G over to the north-facing steep neighborhood and check out the conditions.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe 12yrs ago, in VT after a good 6-8 inches of snow. There's a self storage place with like 3 rows of units, and a decent amount of tarmac at both ends. So, I went in there and used it as a drifting course in the snow. Did maybe two laps then out to the main road. Go less than a half mile and get pulled over. Cop comes up and wants to know what I was doing in there. I had my nephew in the car who was maybe 13-14 at the time. So, I pointed to him and said, "teaching him how to drive in snow". Cop said ok and left. Not even a license check.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Sienna AWD Grand Touring Skimobile is shite for shitties, but does a MEAN J-turn if the traction control is turned off!

Regional colloquialisms are fun. Growing up in northern MN, my mother cooked us "hot dishes". Not sure I knew what a casserole was before I turned 20.

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Forget RWD for a moment, is anyone driving a performance CAR for skiing? Or, have even enthusiasts given in to the call of the SUV?

I wandered around a Carmax recently and saw a sweet Audi RS3 and an Evo (no trunk ski pass-through). They were in the row and a half of the cars surrounded by seven or eight rows of SUVs!

Anybody drive a performance car skiing anymore (ANY drive wheels) besides a few Subarus?

Last edited:

Sponsor