• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Razor tune - Finally have my own!!!

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had the chance to meet Troy Scriven the inventor of the razor tune at Killington during the World Cup.

He had a nice booth set up along with his wife and daughter in tow.

Impressive set up and demo.

I picked up my own razor tune (race version with three wheels) yesterday from my tuning goodies rep and am ALL set to get going this evening.

Details to follow and not to worry Jacques.
I will still tune completely by hand. Some days. lol.

4B8558C9-2520-4709-A6F9-F78BB0071912.jpeg

TS
Zrxman01

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
They just came out with a add on battery for the cord free set at $125.00.
8CBF09E6-2B7F-4263-AE26-A626F60C7C8C.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Zrxman01

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
7038D882-4CD3-4A0A-B09D-A4AE73E24EB6.jpeg
Another cool thing they added was half degree shims!!!

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
There's no going back now. It's really amazing. Go slow like learning any new skill. The edge I get now is simply amazing.

TS
Zrxman01

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s a nicely made unit for sure.
Excellent ergonomics and really easy to use.
My budget did not allow for a carrot or some of the more expensive options.

It took me about two sets of older skis to get the hang of it.
Mainly do not start the machine by the curvature of the tips. Start on the fore part and work the contact edges.

The course wheel is more than I would typically need.

The medium wheel feels about
perfect for my every day needs.

At first I was a little bothered by the striations the wheels leaves although you can take them out with a diamond stone. I cannot feel them with my fingers and I do not think they are an issue. Once I start using the “Fine” grit wheel they should be minimized.

The BEST part is the machine leaves no hanging burs. You can sharpen and just go.

TS
Zrxman01

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is what I am using to trim back the plastic.

7mm beast with pansar file
32F0B888-42BD-4828-B170-3D52611B0E0C.jpeg

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
The cut lines (although actually smoother than a typical hand tune) are what some techs believe why the machine tunes grip better on ice.

TS
Zrxman01

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I plan to test that out and see if I can tell any difference.

I am feeling a LOT better about the upcoming season!! I have 6-7 pairs of skis to look after every week starting now.

Usually towards the end of the race season I am BEAT.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Apart from these being expensive, how much faster are you using up your edges? With these machines will you end up replacing skis due to no more edges vs some other reason? Do they all suggest wearing a respirator/mask due to metal dust?

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd like to see the other side of that battery. It looks like an Anton Bauer.

TS
Zrxman01

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok so some updates after using this all season.

I tune a minimum of four pairs of skis a week. Race weekends it can be up to seven.

The razor tune can be a real time saver!

I do find I still use a file, mainly to double check the edge is set correctly. You will want a good sidewall planer and a couple of diamond stones.

The edges are now much smoother and sharper than I could get when tuning the old way.

I really notice an increased level of edge grip on hard snow (feels like 20% more grip to me)
It’s to the point even our U12 can tell when I used the razor tune versus tuned entirely by hand.

So far it’s held up well and I would highly recommend this for anyone who is tuning multiple pairs of skis and needs a better hard snow edge.

NOW I have more time for waxing and roto brushing.

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
I truly mean no disrespect when I say this, but if you can notice that much difference between now and before, I'd say there's a pretty good chance you were lacking a little in your edge tuning skills.

But, I think that is exactly why these types of tools can be such a benefit. Not everyone has the same skill set and I think there are a lot of race parents that aren't getting their edges really sharp. These power side edge tools make it easier to get that "really" sharp side edge.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Seriously, I would've loved something like this when I was tuning 30-40 skis a day
You folks are spending how much to set an edge?
I can (and some others) put an edge by hand that'll hold on glare ice but that depends just a bit on technique and tactics.
OK it might be a 1/2 on the base (might be no such thing as flat,... there is, but) which means it could be a less than 90 on the edge but it'll still and have held on glare fucking pond ice
I understand the 1 degree 2/3 degree needs/desires but seriously, there's maybe a handful of skiers that can tell the difference. Have them tuned however you like and ski the crap out of them
There's not many humans on skis (<1%) that can distinguish much less know what their edge angle is doing as far as the 1, 2, or three degree of negative edge angle they're on.
There are so many variables with the boot/ski orientation that can render the edge angle insignificant but that's a different thread

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I truly mean no disrespect when I say this, but if you can notice that much difference between now and before, I'd say there's a pretty good chance you were lacking a little in your edge tuning skills.

I used to think that as well until I picked up a SnowGlide. You CAN tell the difference and WC techs think the extra grip is due to the wheel spinning perpendicular to the edge vs a file which is pulled horizontally. That doesn’t mean one can’t hand tune to a sharp enough edge...just that the machine does it better for tech.

I’d course this is also precisely why WC techs don’t tend to use these machines for speed events (too grippy).

Not only that but I find the edge sharpness holds for longer (can get more runs in before noticing deterioration of the edge sharpness in course).

That of course was a nice benefit in addition to the time savings.

James

Out There
Instructor
I understand the 1 degree 2/3 degree needs/desires but seriously, there's maybe a handful of skiers that can tell the difference. Have them tuned however you like and ski the crap out of them
There's not many humans on skis (<1%) that can distinguish much less know what their edge angle is doing as far as the 1, 2, or three degree of negative edge angle they're on.
There are so many variables with the boot/ski orientation that can render the edge angle insignificant but that's a different thread
Ok. Let me guess, you tuned 30-40 pairs of skis/day in the straight ski era?
Just about anyone who gets decent edge angles when skiing hard snow could tell. Not that complicated. Not sure what "negative edge angles" are. You mean less than 90?

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Actually you can guess, but you may be wrong.
I disagree wholeheartedly with the statement of who could tell. We conducted numerous blind trials with professional skiers and the results were eye opening and the biggest factor was the level/quality of tune, less so the angle of the edge, while the changes in the base bevel were much more noticeable to the tester.
Negative angle I refer to does indeed mean <90

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid