• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
SO it wasnt right to help free people from slavery because it was against the law? The law is the law so dont violate it!

You must of missed my early post on how wrong the laws can be, and that violating unjust laws are pretty much the only way to defeat them. Your damn straight that I am encourage people to break any victimless laws not just one in question, and to avoid paying taxes to our oppressors. When you pay taxes you are supporting violence.

Back on topic does anyone have more info on how the PNW concession ski schools operate?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
No, not for that. But perhaps for violating the law and encouraging/enabling others to do so as well. You may not agree with the law (and I don’t) but that doesn’t mean it is right to violate it.

Mike

You must of missed my early post on how wrong the laws can be, and that violating unjust laws are pretty much the only way to defeat them. Your damn straight that I am encourage people to break any victimless laws not just one in question, and to avoid paying taxes to our oppressors. When you pay taxes you are supporting violence.

I doubt Mike missed your posts. Your views are this are pretty well established. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that while you both likely have different views regarding government, Mike probably doesn't mean "Slavery was fine because it was legal" - and I doubt he feels that teaching snowsports illegally is on par with slavery in its negative impact.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
So how does the NFS or the resort plan to enforce this outrageous violation of the law? Set up sting operations in the parking lot? Look for skiers who seem a bit too helpful? Question anyone who might accidentally learn something from skiing with a better skier?

"Every time you help a skier you steal from the American People"

OK, I exaggerate, but aside from obvious solicitation activities how do you distinguish on the mountain between groups of friends learning from each other and someone giving an illegal lesson? The resorts would have to consider the public relations aspect of accusing a paying guest for no reason.

And as for the Feds, they might start with growing a backbone with the Cliven Bundys of the world before they worry about losing a few dollars of revenue on the slopes.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No, not for that. But perhaps for violating the law and encouraging/enabling others to do so as well. You may not agree with the law (and I don’t) but that doesn’t mean it is right to violate it.

Mike

There were two arguments getting jumbled into one: 1) the safety aspect and 2) the legal aspect.

As far a the legal aspect is considered, to my knowledge I've never bought an unsanctioned good or service on NFS land. I probably would shy away from private ski lessons, but if I rode my bike to the national seashore on a hot day and some girl scouts were selling lemonade I just might decide to buy a cup of lemonade, now fully aware that I am not only violating federal law but various municipal and probably some state laws as well. Still, the law is the law. How about those brewskies in the parking lot, it might be legal by the nfs, but not most local or state rules.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The law aspect doesn't bother me much. The safety aspect, that is another story.

As a New Yorker, everyone I don't know is a stranger. Some stranger than others.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
What's next? Only rental skis from the ski area allowed on the hill? As I understand it, "outfitters" need to have permits to rent rafts, kayaks, horses, packs, etc for use on NFS lands.... so do the local rental shops also need these "outfitter" permits? And why is this "bootleg" rental of equipment allowed, but not "bootleg" lessons?

"Outfitting. Renting on or delivering to National Forest System lands for pecuniary remuneration or other gain any saddle or pack animal, vehicle, boat, camping gear, or similar supplies or equipment. The term "outfitter" includes the holder's employees and agents."

https://www.fs.fed.us/dirindexhome/fsh/2709.14/wo_2709.14_50.doc

Probably better to leave the 'what next?' to media pundants opining on opinions and pandering their positions as fact. But for the sake of information, no, there are no 'outfitter' permits necessary to rent gear, just BUSINESS LICENSES. Of course you're free to borrow everything from uncle John and aunt Sally and lett'er rip, all for free!

There's also the consideration that a private entity is NOT providing access through their investments in infrastructure to get to the river, non? Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone here is in complete agreement with the NFS allowing ski area operators instructional monopolies. The OP asked a question, and factually, he was asking for illegal services. Whether or not we agree with that fact is another discussion.

:beercheer:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
SO it wasnt right to help free people from slavery because it was against the law? The law is the law so dont violate it!

Back on topic does anyone have more info on how the PNW concession ski schools operate?

Shark jumped. :roflmao:

Josh, there's no moral equivalency between access to skiing and slavery unless you're a slave to your ski habit.
:beercheer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online