• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Different mission. A number of folks locally do both.
I know. My very not humble opinion is that PSIA should require SafeSport for membership, or something similar, for a number of reasons.

You fail an exam? :eek::rolleyes::duck:
Not yet, no matter how hard I try.:nono::D

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The big difference vis a vis SafeSport requirements though is that ski school folks aren't travelling with kids, driving vans to weekend races, staying in hotels with kids, chaperoning 'unacompanied minors/teens' beyond lift spinning hours off site, etc... though I'm ok with anything that makes the USgymnastics mess unrepeatable in any shape, form, or place.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
:popcorn:

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 6.23.21 AM.png

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
how is austria even less than us? France listed L4 and not L2, and the equivalent of an L4 in the USA I am actually not far behind them

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What if everyone booking a lesson insisted on an L2 (or higher) instructor, or else took their business elsewhere?
I think this is commonly done (and accommodated) for private lessons... is there any chance of that happening for group lessons?
Would it help fix things if more people did that?

I’m not sure “fix” is the right word but it would surely forcefully encourage ski schools to hire more experienced/qualified instructors which would in turn raise instructor pay. This is no different than any other commercial venture. That is, if the public demands a certain level of service, is willing to pay for it and refuses to pay for anything less, there will be a correction to the service provided.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The big difference vis a vis SafeSport requirements though is that ski school folks aren't travelling with kids, driving vans to weekend races, staying in hotels with kids, chaperoning 'unacompanied minors/teens' beyond lift spinning hours off site, etc... though I'm ok with anything that makes the USgymnastics mess unrepeatable in any shape, form, or place.
I know, it would need to be something that is more applicable to instruction vs coaching. Even if it's their own curriculum. Something that holds every instructor to the exact same standard. I wish that we could have not gotten to a point where it needs to be a thought, because to me SafeSport (or any other similar training) is common sense. But I guess that's the world we live in.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A lot of thoughtful opinions here. Maybe we can get something straight, is it against NFS regulations to pay for an unsanctioned ski lesson, or is it against NFS regulations to give unsanctioned lesson, or both?

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Although it's generally frowned upon, there is nothing saying you can't follow your kids around the hill during their lessons. Just don't be that parent that hovers and shouts from the sidelines.. no one likes that parent.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The best was after navigating an interesting entrance to a pitch in a multi week all mountain youth program a few seasons back, one kiddo said, " I'd better not bring my dad here."

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
A lot of thoughtful opinions here. Maybe we can get something straight, is it against NFS regulations to pay for an unsanctioned ski lesson, or is it against NFS regulations to give unsanctioned lesson, or both?
Not only is it against NFS regulations, NFS rangers patrol a number of resorts looking for underground teaching and will arrest and charge the underground teacher with theft.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Not only is it against NFS regulations, NFS rangers patrol a number of resorts looking for underground teaching and will arrest and charge the underground teacher with theft.

What did the instructor steal?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Presumably, money from the resort that holds the rights to sell that service, or money from the NFS, because only the resort has paid NFS to be allowed to offer that service.

To further this, almost every special use permit the NFS issues to ski resorts on their property include a fraction of revenue (including lessons) to be paid back to the NFS.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, so the parent paying for the lesson probably isn't breaking the regulations unless they're accused of buying unsanctioned goods or something like that. So if I'm at the national seashore or whatever and someone is selling paintings without a permit I would still be contributing to an un-permitted activity but it's more the vendor who is breaking the rules.

Sort of like the kids selling lemonade without the appropriate municipal permits. There is a line somewhere and the nfs should enforce their regulations (lol, could turn that political fast) and I agree ski lessons are cutting it close, but it's not the horrific crime some have made it out to be.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Ok, so the parent paying for the lesson probably isn't breaking the regulations unless they're accused of buying unsanctioned goods or something like that. So if I'm at the national seashore or whatever and someone is selling paintings without a permit I would still be contributing to an un-permitted activity but it's more the vendor who is breaking the rules.

Sort of like the kids selling lemonade without the appropriate municipal permits. There is a line somewhere and the nfs should enforce their regulations (lol, could turn that political fast) and I agree ski lessons are cutting it close, but it's not the horrific crime some have made it out to be.

Basically the victim of this crime is the government and the resort......cry me a river. Both act like you(the guest's) money was there before you even considered to hire that freelancer.

If there was a way to legal obtain that permit with out being the resort operator than there could be legal way to work and government still gets to steal your money to go bomb people in the middle east. Go to keep lockhead martin, and Haliburton going somehow.

I love the quote "breckenridge is concerned about the safety of guest" , no they are concerned about competition.

Again the way I see it is.

You have lift ticket that has payed for your lift rides and use of the land. The only thing preventing legit concession ski school is the government only issuing use permits to one entity and persecuting anyone who does other wise. Its basically stopping tax evasion, which if more people evaded taxes it would lead to less violence and force overall....

The current system is absolutely bad for instructors, and when its too late it going to be bad for resort operators as well. People like the fair wages facebook page just want better wages, but with no incentive and seemingly enough willing bodies to keep filling those instructor uniform wages will not go up. There is no real competition among most ski area on the labor end, and in some parts of the country certain operators are moving towards an effective monopoly. If your a full time line instructor and think the current system is positive for anyone except for the operators short term(i feel its not even good for them long term), that vast majority of instructors defending the status quo here are not in anyway shape or form doing this as their main career.

just to be clear, I am vested into this flawed system, and will continue to follow my local resorts polices regarding employment, but everyone even including them should start to ask themselves, if what is going is sustainable.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
In N.A., as a guest buying a private lesson, you can always request higher levels of certification or ask for recommendations for a given interest.

Few people know to do so. I suspect that before I became friends with a number of instructors, it didn't even occur to me that there were certifications, or that a mediocre skier could be an instructor.

In N.A., as a guest buying a private lesson, you can always request higher levels of certification or ask for recommendations for a given interest. All the good instructors are not exclusively trainers, managers, or even L3 for that matter. An old friend (L2) is teaching at Whitefish this year. I'd recommend him to anyone for about 90% of the lesson taking public's needs.

As I've gotten much crap for saying in the past - a higher certification does not guarantee a good lesson, but I believe it does increase the odds. If I could not request an instructor by name, I would certainly request (in the US) a PSIA level 3, preferably trainer or examiner. But I'd far rather have a name.

If I were going to work under the table (and I'm not), I'd want at least $400 a day.

Which is still less than half the price of a private at the Colorado VR mountains.

What if everyone booking a lesson insisted on an L2 (or higher) instructor, or else took their business elsewhere?
I think this is commonly done (and accommodated) for private lessons... is there any chance of that happening for group lessons?
Would it help fix things if more people did that?

I would think this would help *if* a significant percentage of people actually did this, and *if* they voted with their feet by demanding a refund if their instructor weren't the requested level. Of course, what do I know - if this were effective, I bet the schools would just provide several tiers, with the current price for an instructor with no certs or a L1. And of course, that extra pay wouldn't be passed on to the instructor. (Man, I'm cynical.)

But the fact is that very few people know to do this, and even fewer would just walk away or - harder still - demand a refund.

It would be cool if instructors had their PSIA level on their pin/nametag. Sometimes I feel like it's rude to even ask a person what cert they have.

What "independent" instructors want is the free use of someone else's property. It doesn't matter if the property is held by deed or by forest service lease (except that a USFS lease bumps violations form torts to crimes).

I wonder how the backcountry schools work - the ones going into RMNP and such.

Most of us would be better off if they gave up the food service and bar monopoly.

This is a really good point.

Honestly, I think the insurance part is bullshit. It is there to protect the ski resort and maybe the instructor.

My wife tore her acl and fractured her tibia while taking a private lesson (4 of us in the lesson) in Beaver Creek a few years ago. The fall was caused by an abrupt step (8-10" high) / change in surface made by the grooming crew, in the middle of a wide open run. It was unmarked. They marked it with a rope the next day...

We did not get a dime, we did not sue though. Maybe we should have. Getting her knee fixed cost us thousands of $ obviously.

This sort of thing is covered in the print on the back of your ticket or pass. Unmarked manmade and natural obstacles. I'm not saying it doesn't suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor