• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rate the Turns 2

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Like I mentioned, he's sort of the captain of word soup. Still a great skier though, and I admire versatility. Im sure there's also a larger backstory within the Japan tech and teaching world. Look at where they were 2 interski sessions ago and where they are now. I'm sure may feathers were ruffled, or higher ups in the SAJ retired. And yes, I like JF as well as Andreas Spettal.. and others. I'm not looking for perfection. I'm looking for bits and pieces of inspiration. :)

Last edited:

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Im sure there's also a larger backstory within the Japan tech and teaching world. Look at where they were 2 interski sessions ago and where they are now. I'm sure may feathers were ruffled, or higher ups in the SAJ retired.

yeah - I was hoping JFB and SM would also push these guys into evolving and, while there were some definite and positive changes recently (years now) from a technical framework standpoint, I think there is so much more to go...

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
What's interesting is the disconnect between tech comps and how these guys free ski. I've seen it first hand on the past. I'd argue that things like Rookies Academy, etc... that get all these folks together is much more interesting and beneficial for all their respective nat'l associations. ... and us.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Like I mentioned, he's sort of the captain of word soup. Still a great skier though, and I admire versatility. Im sure there's also a larger backstory within the Japan tech and teaching world. Look at where they were 2 interski sessions ago and where they are now. I'm sure may feathers were ruffled, or higher ups in the SAJ retired. And yes, I like JF as well as Andreas Spettal.. and others. I'm not looking for perfection. I'm looking for bits and pieces of inspiration. :)

A major difference with the recent interski is that now the top SAJ demonstrators actually are involved, previously it was the SIA, a different organisation.

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
@razie
Do you find JF Beaulieu to be a better skier than Sebastien Michel?

Cause I would disagree. The level of JFB is not even close to SM imho.

E.g. 1:05 is JFB, those are by far the worst turns of the video. Sebastien Michel is an absolute beast, not many people can ski like him.

How would you rate an Alexander Taugwalder e.g.? Imho the best skier from the projected productions crew. From what I see he extracts the most performance out of a ski.

I find the difference in how we perceive skiing amusing though haha. I am looking for sheer GRF, you for certain movement patterns. In that sense I understand why you like JFB.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like JFB's skiing. I think he gets the same job done with a lot of finesse, control and refinement. I like his teaching style too.

Here's a nice vid of him in bumps:

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Make no mistake, Okabe was the real deal in his day. It's also for the audience.
I noticed that. It’s like canned laughter or applause. Like Murayama’s “Ohh’s” as if Okabe shed light on a new concept. But I suppose that’s his way of emphasizing, to the audience, some particularly key point

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
A major difference with the recent interski is that now the top SAJ demonstrators actually are involved, previously it was the SIA, a different organisation.
That explains alot! I'd heard that the team was a mess with politics and infighting a couple of interski sessions bsck... there used to be some dumb junk between a couple of regions in the TAJ as well. Not everything is as well oiled in Japan as people might imagine. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
That explains alot! I'd heard that the team was a mess with politics and infighting a couple of interski sessions bsck... there used to be some dumb junk between a couple of regions in the TAJ as well. Not everything is as well oiled in Japan as people might imagine. Thanks for the clarification. :)
So, what is the SIA, SAJ, and TAJ?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
How would you rate an Alexander Taugwalder e.g.? Imho the best skier from the projected productions crew. From what I see he extracts the most performance out of a ski.

I find the difference in how we perceive skiing amusing though haha. I am looking for sheer GRF, you for certain movement patterns. In that sense I understand why you like JFB.
IMHO, I find Nadine Gruenenfelder's short turns to be more impressive than Taugwalder's.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
So, what is the SIA, SAJ, and TAJ?

SIA - professional ski instructors assoc.
SAJ- Ski Association of Japan.
TAJ- Telemark association of Japan.

nSkier

Booting up
Skier
IMO I don't know why you would look for peak GRF in professional demo skiers as they will never compare to WC racers. It's also impossible to quantify without some kind of instrumentation and greatly depends on an athletes weight, strength and speed...maybe mental too. A more objective measurement is the movement pattern as it is purely a measure of biomechanical skill...something that's far more relevant to learners.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
IMHO, I find Nadine Gruenenfelder's short turns to be more impressive than Taugwalder's.
Nadine, that’s who I’ve had in mind the past 1-1/2 seasons, this season not being a full season. But, I’ve only seen her ski one type of short turn, in another Projected Productions video.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
don't know why you would look for peak GRF in professional demo skiers as they will never compare to WC racers.
Someone like Reilly, when instructing, tips very early every turn. Would a WC skier always tip as early, every turn?

nSkier

Booting up
Skier
Someone like Reilly, when instructing, tips very early every turn. Would a WC skier always tip as early, every turn?

I want to share an analogy that I think fits well here. I don't know if all will get it, but its the best I got :doh:

Reilly is like a software engineer working without deadlines (rare, I know). A WC skier is a hacker competing in a timed, competitive hackathon event. Ultimately, the same principles are used to write the code but its going to look quite a bit different because of different needs. Reilly's code is going to be clean, precise, readable...all that good stuff. The hacker's code is going to look pretty messed up by comparison...but its actually a masterpiece considering the time constraints. At the end of the day, both have complete control over the language but you wouldn't want to study the hacker's code if you are just learning the basics. WC racers are "hacking" the course for the best possible time...they have to do whatever it takes.

A racer can't be expected to free ski like Reilly...when you are used to hacking you tend to try to hack everything. Likewise you can't expect a software engineer like Reilly to try to hack something for you. If you only look at the end result it's not apparent that these guys use the same language (aka. fundamental movements), but someone who can read the code will firmly identify the same logic.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January