• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Raptor B3 RD v. Raptor 140 RS

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
So I've found I keep packing my liners out on my 140 RS and have even swapped out the stock liner for a foam liner, which I eventually packed out as well. As a result, I switched over to a Raptor B3 RD, which is obviously a much tighter fit. My problem isn't the fitting process (my foot is pretty narrow so outside of some minor carving to accommodate my styloid and 6th toe, it fit pretty well out of the box) but the ski feel. I figured this boot would ski EXACTLY the same as the RS as it appeared the only difference in boots was the shell last width (97 @ 28.5 for the RD and 100 @ 28.5 for the RS). The problem is that this is a stiff boot with more snow feel and I'm having a hard time skiing in it. Most importantly, I'm getting bucked in the bumps when I never had that problem in the RS.

So, my ultimate questions are as follows: does a plug boot ski differently than the detuned version of the same boot? Does a plug boot (getting used to it on the groomers...pretty nice) suck in the bumps (i.e., just not designed to perform off-trail)?

Thanks for the input / feedback guys.

Bill

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The B3 is stiffer than the RS 140. All plug boots are even if the designated flex is the same as their non-plug brethren. You'll need to soften them They can be softened to better approximate the flex of your old boot by cutting the lower shell. Your fitter should know where and how much to do this.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Thanks. I have it set at a 120 flex and that's where I'm going to leave it. My RS boots were set at a 130 and after hammering them for 2 seasons, I bumped it up to a 140.

Bill

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Bill, the bolts in the back of any performance boot do not "set" anything. They are as much marketing hoo ha as the numbers that are printed on the outside of any ski boot box. The cuff bolted to the lower is the cuff bolted to the lower. does not matter if there is one bolt, multiple bolts, bolts high, or bolts low.

markup's post is correct... the lower shell can be modified to make the B3 more skiable in varied conditions. In addition there is prolly something going on with the ramp angle of the bootboard vs the forward lean that is not balanced for optimum performance.

Watch this video to understand modifying boot lower and upper shell/lower shell interaction.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem is that this is a stiff boot with more snow feel and I'm having a hard time skiing in it.

The B3 is stiffer than the RS 140. All plug boots are even if the designated flex is the same as their non-plug brethren. You'll need to soften them They can be softened to better approximate the flex of your old boot

Thanks. I have it set at a 120 flex and that's where I'm going to leave it.

I'm confused here. Did the problem get solved in the two and a half hours between the first post and the third?

If we forget about the nominal flex numbers and just go by the OP's original subjective experience, isn't there a case for following marko's suggestion?

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Otto put a bow on it. Now it's about horses and water. ogsmile

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah. Posts overlapped.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Nope. Haven't solved the problem yet. Need to bring them over to my boot fitter to have them softened. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Much appreciated.

Bill

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I’ve had a similar issue in that a consumer boot is too wide & ive found that the the Tecnica / Nordica Plug fits my foot perfectly. Go with fit & adjust for flex. If my boots feel little on the firm side for the weather/conditions, I’ll pull one bolt in the back.

You’ll find a number of pros in plugs from Schmitt to our own @Marcus Caston - just now when he’s doing a cover shot. :D

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Rather than pulling a pin in a plug boot, IMHO, cut the boot. See Otto's post.

(Plug boots are fine if the shoe fits, or you have access to tools... if not, the non plug race boots work fine for performance rec skiing. )

Sponsor

Staff online