• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Random things you've learned from Pugski members

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What random things have you learned from other pugski members that has enriched your life in big and small ways?

I was just openeing a bottle of Bulliett bourbon and popped the plastic thing out of the top.
I never used to do that but @Drahtguy Kevin did that at a ski house because it made it easier to pour bourbon into a flask.
Since then, its become a regular thing I do when I crack open a new bottle.

IMG_3669.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Grill mats.
I think it ws @SkiNurse who told us about Grill mats. You get all the goodness of a grill but easy cleanup when you have stuff with marinades and veggies. Easy to clean and reusable.
B081509A-2DB5-427E-ACE2-B9D825CFB6B2.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Grill mats.
I think it ws @SkiNurse who told us about Grill mats. You get all the goodness of a grill but easy cleanup when you have stuff with marinades and veggies. Easy to clean and reusable.
View attachment 105692
That looks interesting, what is it made of? If it is metal how is it different from frying?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What random things have you learned from other pugski members that has enriched your life in big and small ways?

I was just openeing a bottle of Bulliett bourbon and popped the plastic thing out of the top.
I never used to do that but @Drahtguy Kevin did that at a ski house because it made it easier to pour bourbon into a flask.
Since then, its become a regular thing I do when I crack open a new bottle.

View attachment 105690
I just learned that American Bulleit has a thing in the top. In Canada our Bulleit is thing-free.
I am now more enriched!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That looks interesting, what is it made of? If it is metal how is it different from frying?
Its a non stick flexible mat. You can cut it to size if you want to cover a portion of the grill.
I got this set on Amazon. The first set we got at Costco, but they don't always have them.
The nice thing is, you get the grill lines and the goodness of a grill but avoid some of the drippings, flames and issues when you have marinades. We use it a lot for fish as well.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just learned that American Bulleit has a thing in the top. In Canada our Bulleit is thing-free.
I am now more enriched!
The 750ml bottle doesn't have one but the 1.75 L bottle does. ;)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I learned from @Ron to freeze fresh basil leaves whole and when I am going to put them in sauce (not "gravy", that goes on meat) just crunch them up as you need them. Prior to this method, I used to spend time picking and drying the leaves which took a lot of time. This is a lot easier, thanks Ron.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I have learned that baby seal skins are used in the making of Stockil and Augment skis from @Drahtguy Kevin

I have learned so much over the years from many Epic's and now Pugs, Especially from @Philpug! Not just for skiing, but biking, bourbon, Covid-19, Cars, weather and so on. its a cornucopia of knowledge.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@Atomicman

Let the toddlers play with their ski gear out in the yard before the first time you take them to the real ski hill... even if there's no snow. Learning to shuffle around in the boots, stomp in to the bindings, shuffle around the yard falling down and learning how to untangle their feet to get back up are critical skills they can learn on flat dry ground... and having perfect sharp edges isn't all that critical for beginners so don't freak out worrying about the ski condition. You can take a look and touch any dings with a stone before loading up for the real ski days.

One thing I'd add.. Make sure they have gloves on so they don't cut their hand on those edges.

1593968909460.png

1593968931007.png

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Atomicman

Let the toddlers play with their ski gear out in the yard before the first time you take them to the real ski hill... even if there's no snow. Learning to shuffle around in the boots, stomp in to the bindings, shuffle around the yard falling down and learning how to untangle their feet to get back up are critical skills they can learn on flat dry ground... and having perfect sharp edges isn't all that critical for beginners so don't freak out worrying about the ski condition. You can take a look and touch any dings with a stone before loading up for the real ski days.

One thing I'd add.. Make sure they have gloves on so they don't cut their hand on those edges.

View attachment 105729

View attachment 105730
Thanks for the mention cr......I let 'em stomp around in the house! Ya know we don't get much snow in the lowlands around here!

Sponsor

Staff online