• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Random things you've learned from Pugski members

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
its a joke. If you know @Drahtguy Kevin you would understand that 's his sense of humor. Its kinda like you or me saying they are made form the most valuable and rare stuff in the world.
ie elephant dreams and unicorn tears.

Reactions: Ron

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Who knew there was a 1.75L bottle?
Me too, but the wine may not be as good. The fancy vineyards don't use the 1.75 bottle. But I don't care the 1.75 stuff is good enough for me.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Long list. A few things were were true and valuable. Many were fun. Some were disgusting. Jim Kenney's pic, above, of John, Gary, and (?) Spike contains elements of all three. The Ullr is the disgusting part, btw.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
When I took my written exam for Level II I got all but one question right, impressing the Examiners greatly. Pretty much learned everything from reading Epic ski (yes I know, not Pugski, but Pugski members for the most part.)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I learned something new from @pais alto.
He posted a picture on FB of his patio after a fresh rain.
I said, "I bet is smells great"
He answered, Petrichor: a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.

20190228_petrichor.jpg

From Wikipedia:
Petrichor (/ˈpɛtrɪkɔːr/) is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil. The word is constructed from Greek petra (πέτρα), "rock", or petros (πέτρος), "stone", and īchōr (ἰχώρ), the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I wonder if that applies to the wonderful smell of sage after a rain. Some Nevada resident should...oh, wait. ogwink

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If you are doing a cuff alignment on your ski boots and need an Allen wrench to do it, most likely it will be a 5 MM size.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is something I'm hoping to learn from a pugski member.

I know there must be a scientific reason that this is happening but it has me baffled.
Why is my ice maker making hollow ice cubes?
IMG_4373.JPG

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
So the Bourbon can get inside and give you a whisky surprise when you crunch down? How the icemaker knows, I am not sure, but you and Phil should probably wear foil hats for a while and turn off FaceBook ...

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I learned something new from @pais alto.
He posted a picture on FB of his patio after a fresh rain.
I said, "I bet is smells great"
He answered, Petrichor: a pleasant smell that frequently accompanies the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather.

20190228_petrichor.jpg

From Wikipedia:
Petrichor (/ˈpɛtrɪkɔːr/) is the earthy scent produced when rain falls on dry soil. The word is constructed from Greek petra (πέτρα), "rock", or petros (πέτρος), "stone", and īchōr (ἰχώρ), the fluid that flows in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology.
This is amazing. I was in Sedona yesterday with some old friends and something extraordinary happened. Water fell from the sky. No-one could remember when it last happened, but this worrying phenomenon did not last to worry us further. Nonetheless, we were discussing the distinctive smell and wondered if it had a name ... and today, I find out!

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here’s an idea about it.

The interesting thing about that particular link is that, 8 years ago we had the compressor replaced on our refrigerator. At the time the service man explained the reason our water didn't work was because this particualr fridge had an issue with the chill tank being too close to the water filter so the fitler froze and water never worked on this model unless the freezer was too warm.
Because of that we use filtered water at our sink but ice cubes at the fridge and have never replaced the filter for water. *obvious*

But maybe.... we have the freezer set too cold...
Will report back.

James

Out There
Instructor
Had the ice-maker suddenly fail to make cubes and after looking into it, was about to start ordering water line solenoids. But one thing I read mentioned the water filter. I was like “yeah, right”. But, it needed to be replaced anyway. Found one at a parts store for about 2x the price but went for it.
Took like two days I think, but low and behold they started to come back and now it is fine.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
its a joke. If you know @Drahtguy Kevin you would understand that 's his sense of humor. Its kinda like you or me saying they are made form the most valuable and rare stuff in the world.
ie elephant dreams and unicorn tears.

Huh. I thought it was Unobtainium. Or Vibranium. One or the other. Or both.

I learned that I’m not the only adult nerd geek here who knows the difference.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I learned about “quivers” from Epic/Pugski. Before that I had one pair of skis. One.

Can you imagine????
Yes, I can. I had zero. None. Nada. Zilch. Now I have a Renoun quiver of three, which is seriously not inexpensive. I can't completely blame Pugski, as @kimberlin put me on to them initially, but Pugski is not totally blameless. If Phil had been posting "Renoun - what a load of old rubbish, yada yada yada" there is a fair chance I'd have stopped at one pair.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid