• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Random Aching Feet ?

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Just for reference, by aching, I mean a dull pain that seem to encompass the entire foot with a cramp like feeling.

Every now and then my feet ache to the point where I just have to stop skiing for the day. They will often ache a little on the first run, but are OK after. And, it tends to happen more often early in the season. Other than than that, it seems random. They only action I can can sometimes take to alleviate the problem is to loosen my buckles. I have tried to pay attention to variables like technique, terrain, hardness of snow and temperature, but can find no correlation. And yes, I have tried custom boots with orthodics. In fact, my old slop buckets seem to be less of a problem. Could it be compression intolerance?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Feet are often the limiter of my day. Use boot heaters to help keep them comfortable. Standing around in ski boots is the worst. Pop my feet out of the boots when I stop for lunch or to tailgate. They get the hot tub treatment at night. I’m blaming my problems on aging.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just for reference, by aching, I mean a dull pain that seem to encompass the entire foot with a cramp like feeling.

Every now and then my feet ache to the point where I just have to stop skiing for the day. They will often ache a little on the first run, but are OK after. And, it tends to happen more often early in the season. Other than than that, it seems random. They only action I can can sometimes take to alleviate the problem is to loosen my buckles. I have tried to pay attention to variables like technique, terrain, hardness of snow and temperature, but can find no correlation. And yes, I have tried custom boots with orthodics. In fact, my old slop buckets seem to be less of a problem. Could it be compression intolerance?
Does it only happen in ski boots? Were the orthotics custom or drop-ins?

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
I feel like I've gotten a similar feeling from bad circulation around the calf - it feels like the foot sort of cramps and refuses to move for no reason?

TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Does it only happen in ski boots? Were the orthotics custom or drop-ins?

I do a lot of skating as well, and sometimes get a little cramping early in the session, but nothing like in skiboots.

I've used OTC foorbeds, like Surefoot and have a pair of custom orthdics made by a Physician. I hate to admit it, but can sometimes temporarily fix the issue by taking out the custom beds and putting the thin flat liners in instead.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just throwing a couple of ideas to be considered. I don't have enough info from above to guess at the issue.

Do you eat salty foods the night before? I've had my foot swell little from having sushi the night prior.
Along the same lines, have you gained weight?

Are you sure your foot is well seated in pocket? If I don't have my heel well seated, the wide part of my feet feel more squeezed than usual all day, and other little feet issues occur.

TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Just throwing a couple of ideas to be considered. I don't have enough info from above to guess at the issue.

Do you eat salty foods the night before? I've had my foot swell little from having sushi the night prior.
Along the same lines, have you gained weight?

Are you sure your foot is well seated in pocket? If I don't have my heel well seated, the wide part of my feet feel more squeezed than usual all day, and other little feet issues occur.

I'll take any and all ideas.

Yes to the salty foods, but that is a constant for me. I'm a saltaholic/

No to the weight gain.

I feel like my boots fit consistently well, but I did give up on my custom boots with footbeds as they caused me the most problems. I'm in more of a stock boot now, with less frequency,but still an issue.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
custom orthdics made by a Physician
I have heard that "street shoe" orthotics don't necessarily translate well to ski boots. If the stock foot bed works better I'd use that. You may also look into a ski boot specific custom footbed. It sounds like a pressure situation, either around the foot or perhaps at the top of the cuff around the calf. I know if I crank my top buckle or strap too tight my feet don't feel as good as if I don't. Blood and nerves and stuff.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How many days do you ski? My feet do the same thing, but I've noticed that if I'm averaging more than a day week the incidence goes way down. In other words, I have to break in my feet.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have heard that "street shoe" orthotics don't necessarily translate well to ski boots. If the stock foot bed works better I'd use that.
-
Check out the Masterfit EZfit QF Snow footbeds. They are ski specific with a low and medium volume option and have high semi-pliable sides that cradle the heel/arch. Nice quality too and a joint effort with Superfeet but without the hard plastic capsule underfoot.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Aching feet really sounds like blood flow restriction. You could try compression socks (I use a $12 high grade thin compression sock from Amazon) especially since you like salty foods. They will prevent swelling and keep blood moving.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If your ski boot footbed and your regular footwear offer significantly different levels of support, you may have to limit the amount of continuous time you spend in the ski boots the first few times out so your feet can get used to the footbeds.
Circulation is the other likely suspect.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate to admit it, but can sometimes temporarily fix the issue by taking out the custom beds and putting the thin flat liners in instead.
Take a note if you can ski better like this or not, esp carving. On the ache, are you cranking your boot too tight? Crushing the foot, even mildly, will often cause feet to ache intermittently.

TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Thank you for all the replies. The consensus seems to be poor circulation due to cranking on the top buckles. I’ll loosen things up a little and see if that helps. I do feel like I have more control with the top strap tight, so wonder if replacing it with the Booster Strap may be an option.

I have spent decades in bare feet practicing martial arts, so maybe my feet just don’t like being enclosed.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
More water, less salt, less buckle and strap. Keep us posted.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Thank you for all the replies. The consensus seems to be poor circulation due to cranking on the top buckles. I’ll loosen things up a little and see if that helps. I do feel like I have more control with the top strap tight, so wonder if replacing it with the Booster Strap may be an option.

I have spent decades in bare feet practicing martial arts, so maybe my feet just don’t like being enclosed.

If rebuckling doesn't solve it - I asked a doctor friend about it a couple years ago when I was having really persistent issues, and she mentioned that anemia can exacerbate circulation problems. It's been a while, but I think it was iron and B12 deficiencies that she said were the likely suspects? Thought I'd mention it since I'd somehow never made the connection until she pointed it out.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Molded Intuition liners! Says one with intolerable Morton's neuromas who now has a pretty good chance of making it through a day in boots.

Yoga with the feet above the heart helps general foot circulation to reduce pain and swelling.

I had a fair amount of foot pain when I got orthotics for my waterski boot. Remolding my Intuitions with a generous toe cap cured the problem. Sometimes we accept too little volume in our boots thinking that will enhance performance. Certainly doesn't work for me.

Eric

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have heard that "street shoe" orthotics don't necessarily translate well to ski boots. If the stock foot bed works better I'd use that. You may also look into a ski boot specific custom footbed. It sounds like a pressure situation, either around the foot or perhaps at the top of the cuff around the calf. I know if I crank my top buckle or strap too tight my feet don't feel as good as if I don't. Blood and nerves and stuff.

As a former athlete with very flat feet...and now a teacher/coach who is on my feet 12 hours most school days, I wear orthotics and have been since 9th grade....sore feet is the name of the game at night.....so I have been used to it for over 30 years.....I have accepted that it is what it is...I have em up right now as I type this....lol

To help alleviate the dull pain/soreness, I do really try to keep my feet up at night while in for the night. While having them up, I am constantly flexing them and moving them to work out the soreness...and keep them “loose”. If real sore, while sleeping, I put a pillow under my feet overnight. (That really helps in my marathon training months) In most cases, I wake up with my feet feeling refreshed...and ready for the day.

As far as skiing, I use BD custom foot beds. I have found them to be very successful in my comfort and fit for my feet in my Cochise 130’s. Although my feet are very flat, I usually have an out of the box fit and have had a lot of success with Tecnica.

TS
Fishbowl

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
My orthodics were custom made by a Podiatrist (MD), who also claimed to be a skiing enthusiast. He assured me that they would work equally as well in street shoes as in ski boots. I was a little skeptical of this claim. I went through about two months of discomfort before they started to feel normal in my street shoes. I do remember having a surgery on my feet and orthodics as a child, but the details and diagnosis are lost in the mists of time. I wear my heels out on the inside of the shoe, so I guess that means I'm a pronating pigeon.

I skied in the felt liners today with my buckles loose and saw some improvement. There was still some pain, but at least i quit on my own terms.

I'm not sure if my love affair with Salt and Vinegar chips is an issue. My blood pressure runs on the low side and I have never noticed any signs of pedal edema. Not ruling it out, but is doesn't seem to fit the profile. Besides, what else compliments Glenlivet so well?

Lastly, without my footbeds I noticed that I developed a slight stem on one side, my traditionally weaker leg. I believe I was A framing, by allowing the knee to roll in on edge changes. I guess this alignment stuff really works.

Sponsor