• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rampage 2019

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As crazy as that looks in video...in person..it must be spectacular. I know when I went to The X Games in Philly years ago, I was amazed how high they went. This is off the charts

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, we got two threads with identical titles, showcasing the same video?!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah the entire point of starting my thread was giving these guys prop not letting some grumpy old guy say man I wonder how many they are going to die.......

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
yeah the entire point of starting my thread was giving these guys prop not letting some grumpy old guy say man I wonder how many they are going to die.......

Clearly it is a very dangerous career path. Rampage seems to take it to another level yet.
You find the question inappropriate?
You're one of those guys that says "at least he died doing what he loved" aren't you?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Clearly it is a very dangerous career path. Rampage seems to take it to another level yet.
You find the question inappropriate?
You're one of those guys that says "at least he died doing what he loved" aren't you?

I'm not but honestly do you not think, these guys know the risk and how to mitigate them?

I dont think they have death wish, or even accept the consquence, they just do everything in prep to so that these things do not happen.

Lets be honest Rampage is so far removed from normal trail riding I am not even sure how they prep themselves for something like this.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
In 19 years of rampage there has been no fatalities, and I can recall only one really terrible injury (I’m blown away by the crashes they walk away from)... and lot more famous extreme skiers seem to cash that final check than their extreme bike counterparts

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well I will tell you this. I won't watch it live. I don't want to be watching when someone dies. It is amazing though.
I'm in this camp.
Its crazy cool and crazy crazy. :eek:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I'm in this camp.
Its crazy cool and crazy crazy. :eek:
Crazy to us perhaps but maybe not so crazy to them.

I used to water ski with a friend who was also a competitive speed skier on snow. One day he brought a fellow speed skier out on the boat with us while we ran the slalom course. His friend Jeff had just set the record of being the first to go 150 mph on skis! After watching us run the slalom course for a while his comment to us was…. “YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!” So I guess it all depends on your perspective.

who’s nuts :huh:
200DFC4E-3824-42AB-B820-3C3836BAC336.jpeg

81327194-8C95-443A-9935-1BE2BDEFFCA3.jpeg

I don’t think those Rampage guys just show up and throw it down. They arrive well before the event and are integral in building & testing the features that they will use. I am sure there is a progression beginning when they were kids at home in the bike park. Yes, it is a fringe event that only a few are qualified to do but it probably doesn’t seem as dangerous to them as it does to us.
A25D842D-4D00-4079-B11D-B98A103A2FB6.jpeg

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's been my personal experience that falling on snow going really fast, even from some big air is way more survivable and less painful on average than falling on rocks. Both require a steep landing to keep things survivable. But, rocks on skin or pads is way worse than snow on ski clothes IMHO..

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Just watched the entire finals on you tube yesterday (4.5 hours) . the prep work that goes into it is intense. each rider has 2 builders and 8 days to sculpt their lines/build kickers.......they used the same area as last year so they got to really fine tune their lines this year which surely reduced the number of crashes. These riders plan their line all year long and really put it all on the line at this contest. I'm trying to get some friends together to go to this event next year. I've seen the Nitro circus games live and that is really something to behold in person. this would be an amazing event to see live. much respect to these guys!

Sponsor

Staff online