• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wouldn't even try.

My daughter could humiliate me in SL already in U14.:
Skärmavbild 2019-01-20 kl. 00.31.19.png

I could still hang with her in GS but by U16, bye, bye. SG too fast for me from day one.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Erik Timmerman tuning in late to say that's some fierce skiing!!!!! U16? She should come out here & do dick's ditch banked slalom all the u16 racers do it ... she'd kill it

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Erik Timmerman they totally dominate. The video makes it look like more of a pro boarder dude thing but a bunch of local kids do it too and the racers do great. Full disclosure I’m doing it w one of my kids and will 100% be TERRIBLE , a friend out of concern or pity offered to coach me :doh::roflmao:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
My first year FIS kid is headed for her first race coming back from ACL surgery last March at Spirit Mtn in Duluth. They are flying out on Wed morning and were planning to practice Wed night and Thursday to race Fri-Sun and now we find out that Spirit is closing Tues-Thur due to projected wind chills of -50-60 and actual temps of -20ish for those days:nono::roflmao: She's excited about her first plane trip race but not the cold.

update:
Southwest cxld all flights into MSP on Wed and Thursday so the team loaded up the van and left Wed afternoon for the 16.5 hour drive to Duluth to ski 700 vertical feet:roflmao::golfclap:

Last edited:

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
My first year FIS kid is headed for her first race coming back from ACL surgery last March at Spirit Mtn in Duluth. They are flying out on Wed morning and were planning to practice Wed night and Thursday to race Fri-Sun and now we find out that Spirit is closing Tues-Thur due to projected wind chills of -50-60 and actual temps of -20ish for those days:nono::roflmao: She's excited about her first plane trip race but not the cold.

update:
Southwest cxld all flights into MSP on Wed and Thursday so the team loaded up the van and left Wed afternoon for the 16.5 hour drive to Duluth to ski 700 vertical feet:roflmao::golfclap:
I LOVE the dedication and enthusiasm.....Road Trip!!!

Zski

Booting up
Instructor
My son is a 2nd yr U16 skiing at an academy as a day student as we live locally to our Mt

His GS and SG have really taken off this yr
Scored his lowest pt race at the ussa GS project a couple weeks ago and knocked over 100 points off his SG points during ussa speed week
He is is a speed kid and isn’t really into SL

Attachments

• D8DF152F-6925-41F9-A909-E59F0C8E3205.jpeg
    D8DF152F-6925-41F9-A909-E59F0C8E3205.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 22

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tough lesson for one of my U12 daughters. She was leading at the local championships after her first slalom run then walked out of her binding pushing out of the start house at the start of her second. Athletes walk up some stairs then put on their skis. Bet she double checks every single time from now on. There's always the GS in the rain tomorrow.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
They do combined times at U12? That’s rough.
We either do a best of, or single runs. Theory to setup the kids to go all out and race with some risk. Combined times used to be used long ago but found kids would ski more cautious in run 2 if they had a lead as not wanting to ruin a placing with DNF.

Always interesting to hear how other areas do things.

Up here we don’t do any combined times until U16.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Daily podium is combined time, championship determined by best two of the six scoring opportunities (4 individual runs plus 2 combined times). So, she still has a chance to place well overall. I suppose the good thing is that she never holds back. It's been either first or DNF this year in each run.

Sponsor

Staff online