• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking forward to coaching at USSA U16 Eastern Finals at Okemo over the next few days. While the top U16s will be at Stowe, the competition at Okemo will be fierce and fun to watch. I'm setting the boys' second run slalom course, which will be a riot - Wardance is a fun trail for setting tech courses (tho we may be on Chief, which would also be fun for a set).

Regarding the U16 equipment regulations, I agree: get the longer radius skis to begin with, especially racing in New England. You can find a pair with a good flex profile for a lighter weight athlete and really give your daughter a leg up on making those next steps up to U19 and FIS competition.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
2nd place in GS today.
DSC_3222.jpg

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
So my kiddo's loaded up in the team vans and headed to Taos last night for the Southern Series Championships GS and SL races tomorrow and Sunday. They are all staying in some cabins about half way up the canyon to Taos and were planning to freeski the mountain today in what was hoped to be some fresh powder. Boy did Ullr deliver! 24" in 14 hours at the cabins and very high winds knocked out power to the whole valley including the resort. They spent all day digging out just to get to the road and the mountain was basically closed all day. They did manage to get Lift 1 open for few hours around 1:30. They just cancelled the GS for tomorrow and gave all the kids lift tickets to free the untouched all day tomorrow. I'm kicking myself for not going down with them. I'll post pics if they me some!

Is it okay to be jealous of your kids and their adventures!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

Absolutely. Still happens about 18 years after they started. I still have never skied in NZ. Both kids have hundreds of days there....as one example.

My son told me when he was about 20 that he could ask where the men's room was, and order a meal in about five languages. Life skills.

Sounds like a lot of fun in Taos!!

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
So my kiddo's loaded up in the team vans and headed to Taos last night for the Southern Series Championships GS and SL races tomorrow and Sunday. They are all staying in some cabins about half way up the canyon to Taos and were planning to freeski the mountain today in what was hoped to be some fresh powder. Boy did Ullr deliver! 24" in 14 hours at the cabins and very high winds knocked out power to the whole valley including the resort. They spent all day digging out just to get to the road and the mountain was basically closed all day. They did manage to get Lift 1 open for few hours around 1:30. They just cancelled the GS for tomorrow and gave all the kids lift tickets to free the untouched all day tomorrow. I'm kicking myself for not going down with them. I'll post pics if they me some!

The pics I saw were pretty crazy, including a Taos car that was totally buried. Looks like everyone had a great time.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Any of you Rocky/Central peeps coming to the Derby?

We will probably be there.....somewhat depends on the girls motivations and the weather forecast but as of now planning to be there. Olivia needs to finish a SL race........5 straight straddles on the last few gates:rolleyes:

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
A lucky weekend skiing (nyc boy, alas when it comes to getting on snow, it's weekends only, he'd ski every day if given the option but unavailable!) kid made U14 2017 Eastern Championships at Sunday River, all 81 lbs of him - a few pictures. (Three of his team mates, 2 boys and 1 girl, who are upstate skiers earned by dint of talent, hard work and sustained great performances, spots on the Can-Am team!). Sunday River is a beautiful place to ski, slopes are great, varied, grooming is superb, trees for glade types and nice long runs, and views of the Presidents (Mt. Washington looks positively Alpine! and Tuckerman's Headwall visible a stone's throw away from the top of the Jordan lift, all were just a spectacular experience!
1. Easterns: Super-G (Robin Leavitt kindly took photo)
2, Tristate Championships: GS (Beignyreih kindly took photo)
3. Easterns: GS (Robin Leavitt kindly took the photo)
DSC_9968.JPG

DSC_8638 3.jpg

DSC_1868.JPG

James

Out There
Instructor
Nice!
U14! Wow, seems not long ago he was on video winding his way down Sun Peaks when 5 or 6 yrs old
Volkls and Heads eh?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had the pleasure of staying with @epic and his family for a bit while in Vermont. His daughter
Its hard to believe that this little girl
1910589_19198405017_4690_n.jpg

Is this little girl
dsc_3222-jpg.21283

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I like that she is using a lot of the hill width and making complete turns. I see a lot of junior athletes avoiding these things outside of the race course and training, to their detriment.

So this is a great model of behavior. Yes, the turns are big, but the technique is good and the use of the terrain is commendable.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Funny you mention it Rudi, but coach did say "try to make complete turns".

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Nice!
U14! Wow, seems not long ago he was on video winding his way down Sun Peaks when 5 or 6 yrs old
Volkls and Heads eh?

Thanks Jim, a bit of sweat, raw smarts , and staying power through all the travails of ski racing, made this happen.

Galun

Booting up
Skier
Had a little fun playing with a training run and hyped up music. Video was speed up a little (10%?) to match the music.

Sponsor

Staff online