• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
We always buy what is needed for the upcoming year plus the next length up (as the longer ski is worked into training during the year anyway).

At U12 we see most 1st years on a 129-135 SL and 145-156 GS. Strong 2nd years on about a143 SL and 165 GS.

Surprisingly there are some differences between OEMs at those lengths for true race skis (proper SL and proper GS). Although transitions do change at different lengths depending on which on. Eg Rossi’s 165 GS is very close to the 170 but just with a jr plate instead of the R22, where the 158 is a noodle and completely different ski. Head makes jr skis up until about 150SL and 175 GS.

Shorter Rossi have next to no metal in theIr line which Blizzard is full metal layup throughout.

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
That's very helpful, thank you. I'm inclined to at least do a little shopping as it will help break up the non-skiing months which can be difficult for her. Cheers!

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pulled the trigger on the 175 Rossis today. Boots will wait until the fall, of course. We've also found ski flex to be all over the place. They were on Fischer GS last year (with the split plates) and it was a bit of a disaster. Ski was really noodly, they overflexed the ski and got bounced all over the place. Plus they developed some bad habits in the line they took through the course. It really was for someone 30# lighter.

Have been scouting pants and training shorts as everything got outgrown this year. My wallet is happy that they don't need new race suits.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
We are big fans of the Rossi line. Find it fits a wide range of skiers (from finesse to chargers). Other oems make good stuff as well but depends if skiers fit the lineup (Fischer has a medium and stiff flex so perhaps that is what you were seeing)
Biggest thing for us is boot, Rossi/Lange make an awesome boot (no surprise to see the other boots are SUPER similar for good reason). The fact the ski also works great allows mom and dad to save a few bucks.
R22 plate is a bit different than the old rocker flex but the athletes figure it out quickly.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
One of my daughters was skiing the Nordica 183 GS with a Marker piston plate for Super G and fell in love. She couldn't really bend it enough for the U14 GS sets here but it might be waiting in the wings for the future.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
They make good stuff. I haven’t seen many (come to think of it...any) FIS girls (Or U16) on Nordica/Blizzard as it’s like rebar.

My daughter was on Blizzard in the earlier days but moved to Rossi given the tweener skis were a significantly better fit and much faster on course. Short Rossi’s were like toys but she really loves the tweener/adult lengths (Eg 150sl, 170gs and longer skis).

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
My girls are both on Atomic and Lange boots. Mostly because they spent two years doing most of their training in Austria and Switzerland, and those were super common and in the team pool. This third year (current season) we changed teams and moved the bulk of training/racing to France, with only a little in Austria and Switzerland. They stayed on Atomic (was still a team pool option) even though the majority of their French ski team was on Rossi or Dynastar. Our kids love their red "arrow skis" as they call them because of the logo. My 2nd year U10 girl was on 131SL and 159 GS (started the season 131/145). My second year U8 daughter was on 124SL 131GS. They both podiumed most of their races. They only missed the podium in races that they crashed. Whether the skis actually give them any real advantage I can't say, but psychologically I think they are super comfortable seeing those familiar bright red skis below them that they've had the past 3 seasons. To me, that extra confidence exceeds any potential performance gain they might get out of another ski brand and gives them all the advantage they need.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
At the jr level the differences are not as significant as when you get into the tweener/adult skis. I’d say at that point it’s less about confidence in the ski (As that is mental and binary and can easily be translated to a ski that works better as well....nothing creates confidence than a ski that is simply faster on the course) and more about how the ski performs.
As mentioned all oems make good stuff, just depends on the athlete as to what works better. My daughter used to hate Rossi skis (as she folded them in half at the short lengths) but now LOVES them in the longer lengths as they feel better and are simply faster in course for her.
Always interesting as often the brand that works well in the early days is not the same brand when they ski U14 to FIS.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
2nd post in this thread is Alsacia tearing her ACL. Since then she's had two U16 seasons and a COVID shortened U19 season. She got herself down to 70 FIS points although with slow updates to "the list" and the season being so short, she never got a start from the top-30. Well, her season ended today. Maybe her ski racing career too. If you are going to miss a season, this is the one to miss, but I'm not sure how she reaches her dream of skiing in college when she has nothing to show them. That said, there may be no racing this season and then no one else has anything to show either. Just a big bummer all around though. :crutches:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
2nd post in this thread is Alsacia tearing her ACL. Since then she's had two U16 seasons and a COVID shortened U19 season. She got herself down to 70 FIS points although with slow updates to "the list" and the season being so short, she never got a start from the top-30. Well, her season ended today. Maybe her ski racing career too. If you are going to miss a season, this is the one to miss, but I'm not sure how she reaches her dream of skiing in college when she has nothing to show them. That said, there may be no racing this season and then no one else has anything to show either. Just a big bummer all around though. :crutches:
What happened, exactly?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I haven't seen video yet, but tore her ACL out at Copper today. The crash was "no big deal" as is so often the case.

Comish

Putting on skis
Skier
Got a 1st yr U14 in Far West. What is the story on Far West U14 Super G? What skis do I need? He is about 5'4" +/- and 115ibs and has grown a ton this summer. I'm hearing 27m radius. Length?

For U12 they had always suggested a GS ski 2 sizes bigger, but now it sounds like an actual super g ski recommended. I know nothing about super G skis. Educate me por favor : )

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got a 1st yr U14 in Far West. What is the story on Far West U14 Super G? What skis do I need? He is about 5'4" +/- and 115ibs and has grown a ton this summer. I'm hearing 27m radius. Length?

For U12 they had always suggested a GS ski 2 sizes bigger, but now it sounds like an actual super g ski recommended. I know nothing about super G skis. Educate me por favor : )
My daughter was/is on a proper jr SG ski, 186/30, tough to find however as they are uncommon. Most kids are on a 182/25 GS ski or similar....some crazily on a 170 GS yikes!

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I have a pair of Nordica SGs to sell. 185cm 27m I think. We thought it was worth the money to get the real thing instead of using some college kids GS skis. Those kids are way, way bigger than any U14.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
That sucks, you are right in this is a year to miss (we are purely training focused as I doubt races will run). Never fun to go out that way however. Hope she has a speedy recovery and perhaps can find some desire to race when she's back to 100%.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair of Nordica SGs to sell. 185cm 27m I think. We thought it was worth the money to get the real thing instead of using some college kids GS skis. Those kids are way, way bigger than any U14.

great point Erik, definitely a whole lot better option for a competitive kid. The real thing certainly helps with developing proper speed techniques rather than a GS ski . IIRC 27m is still OK for U14, beyond that I am pretty sure it is> 30m

BTW, sorry to hear about your daughter's misfortune

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January