• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SLC Skier

Booting up
Skier
I got a pair of Volkl Racetiger SL skis at the end of last season and had a full tune done to them from a good shop. Taking them out for the first time this weekend.

What extra care do you put into race skis to maintain them compared to your average skis? I have diamond stones to maintain the edge and will wax them frequently. Do they need to be taken to a shop to be tuned more frequently than an all mountain ski?

thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Start by using at least two straps, once for the tip and one for the tail.

pugski-ski-straps-jpg.58230

You can get them HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have. fairly serious race family. Every time one of my now adult kids transported a pair of race skis, they had four straps on them. Even 157cm SL's. I've helped load a few hundred times.

But no, nothing special. Treat them as you would any good pair of your skis. They will ski best with a sharp edge, and the right bevels. A frequent stone to remove burrs and keep them sharp is a plus. And like any ski, keeping the bases full of wax and nice and "greasy" will make them ski better.

I wouldn't plan on more frequent trips to the tuner.

TS
SLC Skier

SLC Skier

Booting up
Skier
thanks for the advice. I have some straps I use for them ( I just use two). Cant wait to take them out tomorrow

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use no less than 16 straps on mine... They cover the entire ski.

Can't be too careful.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'd say an even FOUR, one behind the heel piece, or behind the plate..
Cannot tell if serious... (three I'm totally down with, four I can see, but could also see you taking the piss.)
They always ask me the same thing when I say 4... probably it really is overkill, but like it or not, there's less chances to damage edge (or do damage with sharp edge) during transport this way.

James

Out There
Instructor
Loading skis into the back of a vehicle with no straps makes me cringe. Even one trip to the mountain will leave all these little scratches on a base.
The more you tune the less tolerance you have for this. Even on fat skis.

Most college level racers routinely use three straps for slalom skis. Long trips 4.
I use two, but airline bag is 4 at least. If you don't have straps use a piece of cardboard between bases and tape for inside the airline bag. Essentially making your own straps. Do not load without securing! Plus unscraped wax on the base. Tsa routinely searches the bag but I don't remember them taking straps off.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Loading skis into the back of a vehicle with no straps makes me cringe. Even one trip to the mountain will leave all these little scratches on a base.
The more you tune the less tolerance you have for this. Even on fat skis.

Most college level racers routinely use three straps for slalom skis. Long trips 4.
I use two, but airline bag is 4 at least. If you don't have straps use a piece of cardboard between bases and tape for inside the airline bag. Essentially making your own straps. Do not load without securing! Plus unscraped wax on the base. Tsa routinely searches the bag but I don't remember them taking straps off.

My sons uses a good ski bag at all times with his SL skis. Keeps them more protected while loading/unloading. The bag get beat up pretty quickly each year which gives you some impression of what the skis are going through...