• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Race plate mechanics

pykie87

Booting up
Skier
Hi guys,

Can someone please clarify the science behind race plates and their impact on ski's for me?

I keep getting mixed information from different people depending on who I ask.

They:

- Generally make the ski stiffer.
- However, also spread the load imparted from your boot, hence making it easier to flex a very stiff ski (In some cases absolutely necessary for some very stiff ski's).
- Increase boot height from ski edge, giving extra leverage in the turning motion, enabling quicker edge to edge turns. Less stable for intermediates because of this.

Anything else?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Plates don't always increase stiffness as it depends on the design. Some plates actually improve flex underfoot by providing a more free flexing interface for the binding. The plate uses oblong holes and sliding grommets for the screws.

My main use of plates is for the added tipping leverage and the ability to move or change the bindings without need to re-drill the ski.

On your second point, it sounds like you're more talking about technology like DoubleDeck or the "strut" arms that are sometimes used to extend the flexing forces down the length of the ski.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
On your second point, it sounds like you're more talking about technology like DoubleDeck or the "strut" arms that are sometimes used to extend the flexing forces down the length of the ski.

No, he's talking about the type with the internal viscoelastic polymers, like Rossignol T-Box. Or the generation before that which looked like a direct copy of the the Vist WC. In fact, Vist make the very point themselves:

https://www.vist.it/en/technology-and-materials/plates/

vist.JPG

Notice - "Allows a not so strong skier to easily bend the ski".

This is in opposition to the bridge type, which do stiffen the ski.

Rule of thumb: Polymer toe/heel bridge or no bridge - make softer or no effect. Rigid bridge - stiffening effect.

Last edited:
TS
P

pykie87

Booting up
Skier
No, he's talking about the type with the internal viscoelastic polymers, like Rossignol T-Box. Or the generation before that which looked like a direct copy of the the Vist WC. In fact, Vist make the very point themselves:

https://www.vist.it/en/technology-and-materials/plates/

View attachment 63703

Notice - "Allows a not so strong skier to easily bend the ski".

This is in opposition to the bridge type, which do stiffen the ski.

Rule of thumb: Polymer toe/heel bridge or no bridge - make softer or no effect. Rigid bridge - stiffening effect.

Yeah exactly, the Vist plate technology info was what I'd previously read.

I thought as a general rule of thumb, increased flex force from boot/binding was a main benefit of a race plate in general, not just the Vist plates? Obviously not.

I need to do more reading!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I need to do more reading!

You have to ask yourself - what exactly does "zero" stiffening mean? One answer is: It allows the ski to flex against the binding forward pressure spring.

Therefore, under that definition, any plate which provides a flex path that is "softer" than the binding forward pressure spring in the early stages of ski bend (not necessarily the entire flexing range of motion) will be in the "softening" category.

Hence my viscoelastic polymer generalisation above.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Plates of any type will add stand height. That will never result in quicker edge to edge response.

'Science' says so!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Plates of any type will add stand height. That will never result in quicker edge to edge response.

'Science' says so!

Agreed, but given the FIS stand height limitation rule, the advantage of the leverage outweighs the lag in response. If not, the racer's woudn't be maxing it out.

Oh yeah, that reminds me of another advantage of the plate height; reduction/elimination of boot out.

Sponsor

Staff online