• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Race Boots becoming more upright?

Mcjenk321

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It would seem that some manufacturers, Head and Dalbello in particular, are moving to a much more upright cuff in their race boots. For example I've seen the 2021 Raptor is listed at 14 degrees of lean, but I've heard that it actually is closer to 8. This seems quite contrary to historical ski boot design or even the current designs of Fischer and Atomic. Does anyone know what the logic behind more upright boots for racers is?

Thanks!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It would seem that some manufacturers, Head and Dalbello in particular, are moving to a much more upright cuff in their race boots. For example I've seen the 2021 Raptor is listed at 14 degrees of lean, but I've heard that it actually is closer to 8. This seems quite contrary to historical ski boot design or even the current designs of Fischer and Atomic. Does anyone know what the logic behind more upright boots for racers is?

Thanks!
I don't know but I'd love to see the Raptor 140 in a more upright stance. I believe my 2018 (I think) Raptors are around 18°. They fit well but I had a bit of gas peddling done so my thighs don't kill me quite as badly. All that said, I'm not a racer nor will I ever be!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The forward lean is determined by a couple of things

The amount of dorsiflexion available

And the body configuration.

This said though, a more upright boot will make it easier to support the weight and centrifugal force easier with less quad fatigue.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Fake news... Check your sources... Let this be the one place where myth and innuendo do not rule the day...

Since forward lean is completely individualized ( see rod9301 post above ) It does not matter what any manufacturer does or anyone on this forum says... Adjust Bootboard ramp angle and FL to the skier!!!

Have race boots had the FL diminished since the 70's? Yes, have they changed from last season to this season? Not really ( leaving room for subtle or as the manufacturers say "a running change" meaning that you change it without telling anybody and then run)...

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I didnt quite adjust to more upright boots last year (came from old atomics). Took a great lesson in February then skipped a week for a friend's Bah Mitzvah then the season was over.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider

Thanks!

nope Head have just changed the way they measure it to give a different number, even they can't explain how they do it