• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Race boot recommendations for kid with big feet

Jeff_team FAST

Booting up
Skier
Hi all,

I'm new to the board, but I'm a former FIS racer and have been a USSA coach for the past 6 years and have 2 sons who race.

My older son is a giant of a kid. He's 13, 6'3 and 155lbs and has about size 13.5 feet (The height is all on my wife's side of the family, I'm only 5'11). He's a solid skier and will be a first-year u16 this season with 4 years of USSA racing under his belt. He's historically been a mid-pack skier at the Rocky mountain regional events (Prater cup, etc).

I've always had him in boots that are on the softer end of the spectrum because as a tall kid, his coordination and strength always seemed to be bit behind other kids his age. Now he's starting to put on some muscle and he and I have been lifting so I'm optimistic that this season we're at the point where his strength will finally catch up to his size. Ideally, this season I'm looking for something in the 110 flex range with a narrow last, but I'm having difficulties finding any race boots in sizes larger than 28.5 in softer flex (really in any flex). I am concerned that a 130 flex boot will be too firm and I don't want him to lose ankle flexion (i.e. I'd rather put him in a boot that's too soft rather than too stiff).

I read about Bryce Bennett (and his size 16 feet!!!) cramming into 29.5 fishers with extensive modification, but I'm wondering if anyone here has suggestions regarding brands and models. Last year he skied Lange and liked the fit (but his feet were 3 sizes smaller)...He is a racer and at this point doesn't expect comfortable feet, but I also don't want him to be tortured by his boots.

Thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you have access to any fitters where you are? I agree that the ability to flex the boot is a priority. Yes, as an example, you are not going to find a Lange Z boot above a 28.5 but a RS 110 or 130 (with a better liner and can be softened) could work.

TS
Jeff_team FAST

Jeff_team FAST

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the reply. We have only one ski shop in the Phoenix area (it's weird being a ski coach in the desert)...I've met with their manager and we are setting up a team equipment night so hopefully I can find something that will work. At this point, I'm looking for a 98 or 100 lasted boot for him in like a 28.5 so I think the RS 110 might be a good option. I'll post back after we try some gear out.

Sponsor