• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Quiver addition- need a trenching tool to use with family

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
For most resort on-piste use on groomers/bumps, I prefer recreational skis around 76-78mm, unless there has been recent fresh snow under 12" or so, spring corn/slush, or I am spending more time off-piste/in trees--then something in the 88-90mm range works great for me. When there is more than 12" or so of powder, then the 100+ mm wide skis are coming out to play.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Can people educate me on how much more snow/terrain/conditions a ski in the mid to high 80s can handle versus mid to high 70s?

Depends on if we're talking East or West and the skills of the skier. 10mm of additional waist width will typically result in substantially more surface area across the entire ski. More surface area will of course provide a bit more float, but at these widths were probably not going to really get much total float that would be meaningful. Rather I think what you get with the wider skis is a bit more platform to prevent auguring into the snow pack. That can be downright dangerous at speed. So if the snow is soft, then the wider ski will keep you smiling in the off-piste areas of the mountain.

A good skier can take any ski anywhere, but other less skilled skiers can certainly "level up" a bit with wider skis (up to a certain point).

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@MN skier, when I hear “spring skiing” I do not think of 100% corduroy.
Most of the time in spring, you get ice in the morning, slush lower down in the afternoon, which leads to alternating ice and slush piles on the busier runs.

Seems like the Bonafide where made for that?

If you do find pure corduroy, wouldn’t the GS skis be a good choice? Or do they need to much speed?

Probably true, but I still like the camber. As far a speed, a cheater GS would be fine, a FIS ski might desire more speed than I want to run all day (or than traffic may prudently allow). IDK, I spent the majority of my life free skiing in all conditions on GS skis, but these S/Force bold's actually feel a lot like a cheater GS ski, but obviously wider. I haven't skied the Bonefide, but I assume it feels at least somewhat similar to the Brahma and I just don't love the feel of the rocker on corduroy. I'm sure it would be great on the slush piles but for some reason I haven't had to deal with that too much the last few spring break trips I took, which is just random luck I suppose. I certainly have encountered those conditions, but not lately. I would think the Bold would be better in that than a GS ski but not as nice as a Bonefide. I guess I'll just have to take up slowrider's offer to follow me with the wagon and add some Bones for him to bring with! :)

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@MNskier oops, I mis remembered what you have right now. Thought you had GS and Bonafide. That’s what 3 pages does ;-)

TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, here is Phil's long term review of the Bold and the follow up posts. Actually, this thread (in the link) is why I bought a used pair to try. Glad I did, I like them so far and based on the reviews below it seems they has some real ability to deal with a variety of conditions.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
M

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Phil. Also, to be clear, I'm not suggesting by any means that the Brahma isn't a good ski. I have just come to the conclusion that it doesn't fit in my quiver. I'm sure it makes a lot of sense for some people, especially if you are going to have only one ski.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January