• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, I hit what I consider the best jackpot possible at work. I'll have a work-paid trip to Salt Lake City during winter! Of course, this means a chance to sneak in a day or two on the mountain.

Basically, I plan to stay in a hotel Friday night, ski bell-to-bell on Saturday, and then catch an 8:25 PM Saturday flight out of SLC.

I have the Mountain Collective pass, so either Alta, Snowbird, or Snowbasin is an option.

A couple of questions so far during my planning:

1. Skiing on Saturday, February 16th (President's Day weekend) or Saturday, March 30th? Either dates are an option for the trip. I assume lift lines over President's day at any of these three resorts are insane, so am I correct in thinking March 30th is the obvious better choice?

2. How do the Saturday crowds compare at Snowbasin vs. Alta vs. Snowbird? These days I do all of my skiing during the week if I can help it, so the potential for Saturday crowds has me worried. Of the three options, I want to visit Alta the most, but not if there's significantly lesser crowds elsewhere.

3. How often does the LCC road to Alta/Snowbird close due to snow? Looks like my best deal on lodging in the canyon is a shared dorm in Goldminer's Daughter at $200 for the Friday night. However, I could use hotel points to stay for free in either South Jordan or Cottonwood Heights. (If I decide on Snowbasin, I could also stay for free in Odgen.)

4. Is it worth trying to chase powder between AltaBird and Snowbasin? I could book the lodging last minute, to try to go where the conditions are best, but how often does Snowbasin get dumped on that Alta/Snowbird doesnt?

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
- Avoid Presidents day weekend - by far the worst crowds of the season
- Avoid Snowbird on Saturdays - place is a madhouse
-Saturdays at Alta can get pretty packed as well even without the knuckledraggers - if you can handle some bigger terrain, the line at wildcat chair usually isnt too terrible
-its tough to beat spring skiing at Alta
-LCC gets shut down sometimes on big days - if we get over a foot your chances of waiting on the canyon opening increases dramatically

-I have very limited knowledge of Snowbasin, but its certainly a great resort

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
1. Presidents Day is crowded for sure, but any powder day on a Saturday in the SLC area is usually madness. By March 30 you might catch the tail end of spring break.
2. Not much difference. Wherever you go, get there early. Once you are on the hill, the lines aren't as bad. If you really want to go to Alta, it's going to be crowded at the Collin's Lift, which doesn't get rolling until 9:15. The lift line is very entertaining, however, and the office for your Mountain Collective is right next to the lift line.
3. If you are worried about heavy snow, Ogden is a better option. Even if the Cottonwood roads don't close, it'll be slow going.
4. Snowbasin doesn't usually get as much snow, due to lake effect and mtn angle. The ski areas are close enough together that you don't need to agonize over hotel location.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting info, thanks guys.

Based on that, Snowbird is definitely out, and so is February.

So it's between Alta or Snowbasin in late March.

One thing that worries me about Alta is that it seems to have a steep learning curve. For somebody who's never been before, it seems like the sort of place you want to stay for a week and slowly uncover the secret stashes and favorite spots. I'll also be skiing alone, which always has me more hesitant to explore off-trail or into the trees. Alta's "all double blacks are only rated blacks" trail system makes this even more complicated, since I'm advanced enough to ski any black, but not advanced enough for all double blacks.

Snowbasin seems more straightforward, which may be good for quick one day solo-trip.

No idea if I'm correct on those assumptions, but that's the impression I have.

Last edited:
TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
But, the huge flipside to all that... according to ZRankings.com, Snowbasin's end of March snow is statistically poor, while Alta's is the best in the country.

Decisions... decisions...

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Based on the criteria mentioned above, and that March 30 is the target date- I'd go with Alta. I've only skied a handful of days at Snow Basin, but even mid-season the elevation has yielded me some sloppy, heavy snow. That definitely doesn't describe Snow Basin on their best of days, but if you can only commit to a single day, I'd hate for that day, particularly in late March, to be one of their worst. Alta is much more dependable from that standpoint. And, definitely do Goldminer's for the night. You'll be up there already and not have to worry about driving up the road in the morning. Literally 100 steps to the Collins lift. The camaraderie of like minded skiers at the Alta lodges is unique in my skiing experience. You have to do it at least once in your life. And the food is great to boot. When you go up to dinner ask if you can be seated with another single skier or small group of friendly skiers. You might just score a guide for the next day. (I did, for the week!) If you do the dorm room, bring ear plugs. And scope out the lobby or other alternate restrooms in case you wake up to find the door to in-room bathroom locked.

Edit: Don't worry about not knowing Alta- There is more than enough to be skied within view of the lifts or plain to see on the trail map to keep you more than satisfied for 7 hours. The nooks and crannies can be saved for the next time.

Last edited:

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski Snowbasin all the time and @cosmoliu is exactly right. Alta is the place to go if you have to make advanced arrangements and you are going in late March. It could be great (or bad) both places but Alta will have a huge statistical advantage that time of year.

One thing that may be worth mentioning about President’s Day is that all the “value” passes at Snowbasin are blacked out that weekend so that will cut into the crowd some. It will still likely be crowded, but not much worse than a normal mid-winter Saturday/holiday.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
March 30th, Alta, without a doubt. In addition to what's already been said, Snowbasin's layout isn't as simple as you might think. You can get stuck in a lot of flat areas, or out of bounds, for that matter, pretty easily. Some of the better spring terrain is hike to only, and if you don't know where you're going, or what's open, that can be a disaster. I had a friend who knows the mountain well end up making one wrong turn and skiing into Ogden. (2 years ago, lots of snow.) Comically, she ended up right by her house.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting... I think you all nearly have me convinced!

One more question though. If going to Alta, any advice on a car rental?

Alta's website says state law requires snow tires and/or chains when driving up the canyon, and the road is sometimes limited to 4WD only. But I've never seen the typical rental car companies (Enterprise, Avis, etc.) ever let you specify 4WD, and I've never seen snow tires on a rental before either.

Surely not every Alta visitor is booking through some specialty car rental company, are they?

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are you going to have a rental car for the business trip? If that car can't meet the criteria, maybe return the car at the airport and grab Alta Shuttle (the best of the airport shuttles, IMO) round trip to Goldminer's. Circa $75. Or keep the car if the weather forecast shows no chance of snow.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If it's such a short trip, just stay slopeside and shuttle to the resort; especially if you aren't going around.

If you rent a car, typically you need to book an SUV class to get a higher chance that you will get an AWD. It helps if you book directly and not through a reseller (orbitz/hotwire/costco) so you can walk away if there is nothing suitable.
Else wise, visitors use the bus to get to the resort if it's storming.

Don't forget to inquire about MountainCollectove discounts for lodging since you have it.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree that Alta is better than Snowbasin in late March. Besides elevation, Snowbasin's predominant exposure is Easterly, and I have seen it pretty sloppy in latish March.

My preference would be Snowbird, however.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
oh also remember alta and snowbird are sidebyside. so you can stay at snowbird based lodging even if you want to only ski alta, and either just interconnect over or take the bus.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Alta has a great afternoon group lesson that program for advanced and expert level skiers. They take you to come great spots and search out the stashes and give you a few pointers along the way. This being your first time I highly recommend it.

At last year's gathering I rented a 4wd SUV at the airport for about $30 per day.

If you do get a powder day - consider heading to Snowbasin if they get a decent dump. It's like a feeding frenzy at the LCC resorts... probably more so at Snowbird.

Wy would you not stay and ski Sunday as well?

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
You didn't tell us why you want to visit Alta the most....
My intel is from a few years ago, so take it with a grain of salt, but I'd say the best bet is to stay in Cottonwood Heights and rent a car, then decide based on conditions.
- If it's a stormy day, Snowbasin is likely to have a lot of fog, with significant in-bounds sections of the mountain potentially closed. Alta and Snowbird will be crowded, but conditions will likely still make them the better choices.
- If it's a powder day, they'll all be crowded... Snowbasin probably a bit less so.
- If it's a sunny spring day, Alta will be the most crowded. I think Snowbasin and Snowbird are better bets for spring skiing, with less crowds and the easier ability to pick the elevation and aspect appropriate that yields the best conditions at that moment. Which can be a challenge for a single day at a new-to-you ski area, but following the sun in the morning, then focusing on north-facing terrain once it softens up will get you a long way.

Spring comes earlier to Snowbasin as a general rule, but specific conditions that day are going to be much more relevant than generalizations. Altabird will likely be better, but if the first-hand reports and forecast are favoring Snowbasin once the day actually arrives, then Snowbasin seems the better bet... a rental car means all three are within easy reach.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
+1 here for staying friday night at Goldminers or other lodge and using the Alta Shuttle from/to airport -- given you're skiing one Saturday only late March. KISS!

JPM

Booting up
Skier
Interesting... I think you all nearly have me convinced!

One more question though. If going to Alta, any advice on a car rental?

Alta's website says state law requires snow tires and/or chains when driving up the canyon, and the road is sometimes limited to 4WD only. But I've never seen the typical rental car companies (Enterprise, Avis, etc.) ever let you specify 4WD, and I've never seen snow tires on a rental before either.

Surely not every Alta visitor is booking through some specialty car rental company, are they?

If it does snow, use your car to get to a bus lot and take the bus. Chances are there is a bus stop very near your hotel and take the earliest bus you can. Also, buy the Altabird ticket if you are unsure of which resort to ski.

FWIW https://www.markmillersubaru.com/mark-miller-subaru-rent-a-car/

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
You didn't tell us why you want to visit Alta the most....
Honestly, just based on the trail maps, Snowbasin looks more like my kind of place. (Favorite mountains so far are Snowmass and Steamboat, and Snowbasin looks most similar to those based on what I've seen.)

But, I've heard so much about how magical Alta is, that I'd like to cross it off the bucket list to finally see for myself. A quick, one day trip seems like an easy, low cost way to make that happen. And of course, the best spring conditions in North America obviously tips the scales heavily in Alta's favor, too.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
If Alta's on your bucket list and the other two aren't, Alta seems like the obvious choice indeed!

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are you going to have a rental car for the business trip? If that car can't meet the criteria, maybe return the car at the airport and grab Alta Shuttle (the best of the airport shuttles, IMO) round trip to Goldminer's. Circa $75. Or keep the car if the weather forecast shows no chance of snow.
Great suggestion on the Alta Shuttle, looking into it. Looks cheaper than the car rental.

I'm assuming I'll have to take the 4:45 PM shuttle to make it to the airport in time for my 8:25 PM flight.

Sponsor

Staff online