• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Question on Sore calf muscles

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I've got over 60 days on the mountain this season so far, and just ran into some sore calf muscles. That seems strange to me. I should be conditioned. 'Feels like the day after running a mile on my toes. (something I DO NOT DO! ;-)

We have had a few warm snows over the past week. The cut snow set up pretty hard (coral reef), then filled with fresh.

Same boots as usual. I did change from skis with Markers to skis with Look turntable. (soft snow skis)

Maybe it's just the rough ride over the reef. What else?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Myself and others had a calf strain. So it could've been a single event that caused a lvl1 strain and microtears from a quick or violent movement. See below, I also posted a link to a pretty good rehab and workout schedule to get back faster.

Other than that i doubt it is setup too much. the calf is used to go all the way up on your tiptoesn and even hop and land while on your tiptoes. So even if something is different with your bindings like ramp angle, its still well within the regular range of motion of your calf. No skiboot will let you dorsiflex or plantar flex that much compared to you doing toe raises/heel dips or jumping jacks in regular shoes.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have you changed what you're wearing on your feet when you're not skiing? That is, is it possible that different footwear with a slightly taller heel has caused the calf muscle to shorten when not in boots.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Have you changed what you're wearing on your feet when you're not skiing? That is, is it possible that different footwear with a slightly taller heel has caused the calf muscle to shorten when not in boots.

After 12 hours in ski boots, then the 45 min drive home to a shower and supper, It's bare foot around the house for me! ;-)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The other possibly is you are older than you used to be and you may need to acknowledge the cruel passage of time and the grim reaper who awaits you at the end.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The other possibly is you are older than you used to be and you may need to acknowledge the cruel passage of time
;-) That has crossed my mind, but why just this week? Age induced New Snow aversion?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Theres a silly theory at least about the knees only have a set number of bumps in them like an odometer so make them count. Once you hit that magic number bye bye knees. :roflmao:

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I stay away from the zipper line for just this reason. [-)

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
could be, but my wife just started trying "designer" salts on just about everything. I "think", I'm OK on that one.
Now Hydration might be an issue....
Now I'm curious. What's a designer salt?

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Now I'm curious. What's a designer salt?
Salt comes in colors these days.

It all tastes like salt to me...

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Urine color only indicates hydration level to some extenr, however electrolytes are a different matter.

As to designer salts, location and extraction methods determine the impurity’s that it contains, these are considered the rare earth salts (and minerals) that can be good or bad for you. They can also impart taste (and color hence designer).

Personally I would go with Cyto Max, tropical fruit flavor, no caffeine added and has the least head twisting taste. I started using on and off tsince 95-96. I don’t go full strength unless competing or exceptionally heavy workout.

While I share this information, do your own research on this topic as there is a lot of potential risk involved and make your own decision.

Sponsor