• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Question ? For the Pros and Experts and also just ski enthusiasts

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Good examples. I saw that pole example exactly, guy hit it dead on, fatal unfortunately. It's happened to me a few times and you have to focus..especially when I've been following a slower rider and setting up for a pass and they low-side and slide to the outside of the corner. It's a surprisingly strong instinct to follow him out there. Have to really focus on following your line. It's a funny thing when you experience it and you're aware it's happening.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember the first time I let @Tyler Pugliese drive. It was in the Miata, a rear wheel driver car, in a gravel parking lot. He took it around a turn a bit fast and gave it a bit of throttle and the tail end came out. He immediately counter steered into the turn and the car straightened out. I asked him why he did that, counter steered, he said he just pointed the wheels in the direction he wanted to go. It gets down to the old @Bob Barnes ism, point the skis where you want to go, if that doesn't work, go where the skis are pointed.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't think anyone wanted to drive into a pole or a car. Or ski into them. The effect is real. The absurdley bright lights they use now also seem to contribute to a moth effect.

TS
dustyfog

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Interesting. Yep, that's it. Dangerous for skiing trees.
Interesting article here on it and moth effect. Relates to dusty's original question.
http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/motheffect.html

Now with gopros we have filmed examples of target fixation.

This video is quite illuminating, and logical, "Don't look at trees" adage works, I know, I looked, and slid slowly into one sometime ago!

Target fixation happens with drivers of cars, too. Here's disturbing evidence.

This is genuinely painful to watch, holy sh-t!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January