• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eastern Canada Quebec Christmas And New Year

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Going to Tremblant for Christmas then Le Massif for New Year's this season. Any advice/suggestions/guidance would be both welcome and appreciated.

Just hope they get some snow before we get there!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dress warm. I am sure some of our north of the border members can fill you in on more but it can get damn cold. up there.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I wish you all the best on the snow. Looking at the long range, they appear to be getting down near zero during the day 14 days out, but who knows that far ahead. They have good snowmaking but they need cold overnight. Judging from things so far, it's quite a bit warmer than normal. Fingers crossed!

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
I'm available for guiding after Boxing Day!! What else do you want to know? And at present we have 4 runs with 2 top to bottom. But the R word in forecast for next Sunday.

I have the Enviro Canada and both resort pages bookmarked! I think best runs to develop skill would be great to know. I'm a beginner trying to move up to intermediate and was skiing Whistler/Blackcomb greens fairly competently last year and starting to get onto blues. Want to shed the beginner tag once and for all this season.

Also suggestions on skis for my wife to demo while we're there (and where from). She's skiing on Salomon Verse5s (73 under foot) that are due for replacement. She has the skill to be a solid intermediate (in my limited opinion) but just doesn't have the confidence on her current ride. We upgraded her boots last year at Whistler and that helped some but she wants skis that will be more stable for her.

And of course, après' dinner suggestions are always appreciated.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Luckily there are beginner runs on both sides of the mountain from the top. Le Petit Bonheur to Beauchemin and the Nansen. Blues - Beauchemin Haut, Beauvallon Haut, Lowell Thomas, Rope Tow and maybe, just maybe the Versant Soleil. If we get cold weather and snow!! That's the usual open ones. Maybe they will get the Edge open, there is a blue over there too. If we get open, there will be lots to ski, I'm just naming a few.

Skis - Atomic and Salomon have specific shops on the mountain that you can rent from. Also the Magasin de Place has a variety of options. Some manufacturers are hard to find....Volkl for one. I'm a Rossi fan, but do know some things about Atomic and Salomon. Does she want a wider underfoot ski? Who did her boots - Ski Connexion by chance?

après - well it's Quebec and they know how to par-tee! My fav is Fat Mardi's. The English is better. If you like brew pubs - Microbrasserie Le Diable, in the lower village. Food depends on your likes as there is almost everything except a really good steak house. Bull's eye tries, but it's not all that good. La Savoie has fondue, but you'll need a reservation unless it's lunch. And there are many great places off the resort.

We'll connect closer to your arrival. And just so you know...I'm a CSIA 2 instructor.

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Finally on our way despite Delta and the weather trying to keep us in Atlanta! :doh:

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you guys are novices You 'll enjoy The Petit and Beauchemin combo on the Versant Nord side , it tables down the mtn is very wide with plenty of wide places to stop if u need them , they may be a bit , a wee bit more challenging than the Nansen on thE Versant Sud . That is also quite wide but has more flat spots IMHO than the Petit / Beau combo .

Hope the snow is good for ya , Tremblant is usually colder than a well diggers butt , however given the North Carolina like weather we have been experiencing here along the border recently ( 60 degrees today along the St Lawrence River) it should be more comfortable .. Hope you did bring some warm stuff tho especially masks or balaclavas .

Enjoy Tremblant it is a great ski village and Quebecois cuisine is tres magnifique

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
@Warp Daddy & @Jilly - Thanks! We arrived late afternoon yesterday, three hours later than planned. Not much open slope-wise but that's understandable. Looks like the Nansens on the Sud side are closed today.

Hoping conditions keep the crowds away! Optimistic for snow-making to kick in with the colder temps for the remainder of our stay here (through the 28th.)

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Awesome full day of instruction w Alex Smith. Conditions on the open runs weren't bad at all. Looking forward to even better tomorrow!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
So met up with Redleg and his DW. Tomorrow DW and I are going to demo some skis. She is in disparate need of new ones! Glad my friend at Magasin de Place did some work on her boots and we'll find out if it works tomorrow too.

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Thanks @Jilly for the great advice and conversation last night! The boot work Marc did made a significant improvement. She demoed some of the Atomic Affinity line and was hooked. She's looking forward to giving them a workout at le Massif later this week.

We enjoyed our time at Tremblant and look forward to returning again, hopefully with more terrain to explore.

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Halfway through day one at le Massif. Excellent conditions, not too crowded, even a good table for lunch. Wife is loving her new Atomic Affinity Pures.

Sponsor

Staff online