• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jonnyillegal

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Awesome work. Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll just take it slow and keep my brace on. Tough to be patient good luck on everyone’s recovery!
Read your guys’ replies about 30 times now. Nice to know what to look forward to and have some goals. LOVE LOVE LOVE the support here.

Thanks again!

Andy53

Skier
Update from Idaho. First PT session today, 32 days post-op R complete quad tendon tear and repair. Same PT as 9 years ago with same injury L quad tendon back then. His memory is better than mine, says I have less swelling this time and less quad lag. I could pull my leg back to 74 degrees on the table and when I was loosened up I could hang my leg off table to 90 degrees. Lots of quad contractions with straight leg and straight leg raises. No active exercises yet. Brace set at 30 degrees. Finally got all the Christmas stuff put away today and washed our cars as I am getting around so much better. My son-in-law came to get a couple snowmobiles for riding this weekend, including the Polaris Quadbuster that got me on Dec 30th. I actually road it around the backyard for a couple minutes before he loaded it up, kind of a man over machine mental thing. So goes the rehab, formal PT 2 days a week and lots of work on my own. I’ve said this before, but I love the pool for rehab. I swam 3/4 mile yesterday, carefully kicking with straight leg is no problem. Also working the leg with the water buoyancy is very forgiving. Best of luck with your rehabs! Andy.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Curious

I've been pulling injured skiers off this bump for over twenty years , and have NEVER had a patient with a ruptured Quad.

Must be a "west coast" thing.

Jonnyillegal

Skier
Must be a west coast thing lol.

13 days post op and man, was this second week ever better than the first. Still really swollen and a little sore but not too bad.

Made it to the gym the other day for a little shoulder and back workout. Wife was SUPER pissed at me for it hardest part was getting in the truck. Was tricky but I never told her that part sore by the end of the day but I was up and down the stairs a lot and outside grilling dinner (also a first since the surgery). Pretty swollen and sore by the end of the day.

So yesterday just had it up lots and rested. Gonna do it again when the wife goes to work

One thing that has been giving me problems over the last few days is my Achilles’ tendon. Super tight and sore, was fine the first week. I’ll do some stretches and ice, same as the top of my quad. Since the surgery the incision site has not hurt at all but my quad all the way up to my hip is super sore. And the muscle feels like plastercine ‍♂️ Still. Massage, ice and drink lots of water? Kinda thought it would start going back to normal by now.

Well, that’s my story 13 days out, hope y’all have a great week!

Andy53

Skier
Tomorrow will be 6 weeks post-op R total quad tendon tear repair. Two more PT sessions this past week, slow steady improvement. Started on recumbent stair-stepper Friday, I was nervous at first but I could do it with some resistance. 95 degrees ROM. Thursday I swam my normal mile no problem. I started my truck up and drove it for first time since since that terrible day, Dec 30th. Brace set at 40 degrees but I rarely wear it anymore. Haven’t used any Motrin for a couple weeks now, and not really icing except at the end of PT. I don’t really have pain, just a stiff knee with weak quads, but it’s coming along. I can now kneel down on both knees beside my bed when I pray for all my fellow quadbusters each night. Got the bill from the hospital, $34k, and that doesn’t include the surgeon’s fee. Thank goodness for insurance! I went to college back East and no injuries, lived many years in the Seattle area and no injuries, tore my L pec tendon in Kansas, tore both quad tendons 9 years apart in Idaho, so for me it’s a Midwest/Mountainwest thing. Good luck with your recoveries, keep fighting! Andy.

Jonnyillegal

Skier
$34000 without even the surgery fees?!!

Man I’m glad I’m Canadian. $0

Sounds like you’re healing nicely! I’ve been spending a bit of time in the pool myself and am heading down to Mexico for a bit on Wednesday. Beach and pool therapy, surgeon said he didn’t like the idea of me going into the ocean quite yet so I’ll respect that for sure.

Andy53

Skier
7 weeks today from surgery to repair R total quad tendon tear. Continued recovery, now doing stair master while supporting some weight with my arms. Can go up stairs while holding handrail including up with bad leg, but can’t go down stairs yet while supporting weight with bad leg. I tried the exercise bike and I can get over the top with seat all the way up, but therapist says wait a week or two before I start cycling. ROM was 110 degrees at PT on Friday. Swelling worse at end of the day but better day by day. Walking well and faster, did a mile on the treadmill in 19 minutes this morning. Haven’t had the brace on for over a week now. Even took the dog for a walk yesterday, I was worried she would pull me down, but it was fine. Getting in and out of the car is easy now. Time sure does heal! Looking forward to working more on quad strengthening, maybe leg presses and such, also quicker movements and more balance training, my PT brother-in-law seems to have a plan. Good luck as you continue to recover. Andy.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious

I've been pulling injured skiers off this bump for over twenty years , and have NEVER had a patient with a ruptured Quad.

Must be a "west coast" thing.
I remember reading this thread's predecessor, and I occaisionally scan it here. (I never had that injury, just got curious about other injuries when I blew my ACL.) I don't remember anybody doing it skiing. If my vague memory serves, I think it is mostly running, weight lifting, and just bad genetic luck -- as evidenced by people who have separately injured both legs.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ruptured mine skiing 8 years ago, it was particularly torn for a few years but skiing finished it off.

Andy53

Skier
2 months today, R complete quad tendon rupture repair 1/6. 130 degrees at PT this morning. Started bike and leg presses this week. Doing both stationary bike and stair master. Rode my mountain bike outside just 4 miles a few days ago. Swimming a lot. Jogging in the pool up and back in shallow end, the ladies in water aerobics class laugh at me. Walking better and better, as long as I focus going upstairs is no problem. No pain, just stiff and swollen by end of the day. Therapist says I’m doing good. That’s a quick update, hope you all are doing well, Andy.

nighthiker

Skier
Hi all,

I am not a skier but and avid hiker/backpacker. 54 years old. My wife and I walk 3 miles a day, 6 days a week to maintain our health. I hike probably twice a week on top of that and do some upper body strength training.

On 12/29/2019 I slipped on a slick concrete surface in a loading dock/parking garage area where I work, fell and ruptured my right quadriceps tendon. I had just exited a vehicle. At the moment of the injury it felt like someone hit my kneecap with a baseball bat. I was able to crawl to the door of the car, pull myself up get on my good foot, take a few pictures of the scene then get back in the car. I had to pull my injured leg up by my pant leg to get it in the vehicle. From there I drove to my personal vehicle, drove home and had my wife drive me to the hospital.

Xrays at the hospital revealed a ruptured right quad tendon. I was issued a foam/Velcro brace to lock my leg straight. The next day I went to an orthopedic doctors office where they confirmed this and scheduled surgery for 1/3/2020.

After surgery the surgeon spoke to my wife. He told her the procedure went well. I was unable to talk to the doc as the medical staff was pumping me full of morphine and fentanyl as I was in great pain. This was to be an outpatient procedure. I ended up staying the night so I could get pain managed. I stayed in the foam/Velcro brace until my first follow up with the surgeon.

I am an IT guy and was able to work remotely from home. I missed little work.

1/20/2020 was the first follow up with the surgeon. The appointment went well. I was fitted with a Breg T Scope knee brace and permitted to bend 10 degrees. No exercises yet. I was not cleared to drive yet or go to work. Thankfully my wife was very gracious during this recovery. My daughters also helped.

2/17/2020 was my next follow up with the surgeon. That went well. He adjusted the brace to a 50 degree bend. Cleared to drive and go to work.

On 2/18/2020 I started physical therapy. Tested at 43 degrees
2/25/2020 - Tested at 60 degrees
3/3/2020 Tested at 75 degrees
3/10/2020 Tested at 80 degrees. Started tougher ROM manual PT.
3/11/2020 – More brutal ROM PT involved being strapped down to a table with a seatbelt.

Thank you for this thread. It has been encouraging reading what others have gone through with this injury and the recovery. I hope to encourage others.

Reactions: mdf

nighthiker

Skier
3/17/2020 - Tested at 83 degrees. Feel like I've plateaued on flexibility. Frustrating. All of that painful ROM PT for almost nothing.

Andy53

Skier
I was 10 weeks yesterday from right total quad rupture repair. I must confess that I went snowmobiling last weekend Friday and Saturday up near Yellowstone. Rode right past the spot where I crashed 12/30/19 and tore the quad. I was super careful, had the brace on under my ski pants at 90 degrees, stayed on groomed trails, we did about 150 miles total. I have been fortunate to get my ROM back quickly, pretty much full ROM now. Knee still stiff but better day by day. Working on strength, stair master or bike every morning. Lots of leg presses. Lots of stairs, up easy, down only with lots of holding onto handrails. Walking dog faster every night. I can do a very slow old man jog. They closed the community rec center and my pool, so that is on hold for now. Getting in the pool early on was very helpful. Going thru this same thing with my left leg 9 years ago has surely helped me in this recovery. Hang in there Nighthiker and everyone, we will all get better. The current world situation has helped me keep my little problems in proper perspective. Andy.

nighthiker

Skier
Thanks for the encouragement Andy. Glad to hear you are back out with good ROM. Keep at it. I'm counting my blessings through this.

50+ Year Skier

Loving Loveland - 50+ yrs
Skier
Hey all, been a while since I posted and "welcome" to those new to our club. I'm now eight and a half months post injury and still progressing from the double QTR. I hit full 140 deg ROM at about 6 months and am now at around 147. Back in the leg press machine in February and able to finally start rebuilding the quads. It is slow but there is progress.
I agree with several posters who have noted their need for side leg raises. In my case, I am needing a LOT of work on hip and glute strength to stabilize knee mobility... don't forget those in the quest for quad strength. Lots of leg raises, abduct and adduct work.
My biggest challenge now is grinding through these really boring exercises and seeing only very incremental change. I think it's the nature of the recovery so I soldier on.
Now with coronavirus, rec centers and gyms are closed so access to exercise equipment had been cut off. Don't stop working but reach out to your PT for exercises that you can do at home.
Oh, and as if this wasn't enough, I tore my rt distal bicep tendon and had that repaired last Tuesday before all elective surgery was suspended in CO. Just a little more joy.
Hang in there everybody and know you will make full recovery with a lot of hard work and PATIENCE!!!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good luck to everyone in this thread. Fortunately I am not a member of your club, but your perseverance and (mostly) optimism have been an inspiration.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Hey all, been a while since I posted and "welcome" to those new to our club. I'm now eight and a half months post injury and still progressing from the double QTR. I hit full 140 deg ROM at about 6 months and am now at around 147. Back in the leg press machine in February and able to finally start rebuilding the quads. It is slow but there is progress.
I agree with several posters who have noted their need for side leg raises. In my case, I am needing a LOT of work on hip and glute strength to stabilize knee mobility... don't forget those in the quest for quad strength. Lots of leg raises, abduct and adduct work.
My biggest challenge now is grinding through these really boring exercises and seeing only very incremental change. I think it's the nature of the recovery so I soldier on.
Now with coronavirus, rec centers and gyms are closed so access to exercise equipment had been cut off. Don't stop working but reach out to your PT for exercises that you can do at home.
Oh, and as if this wasn't enough, I tore my rt distal bicep tendon and had that repaired last Tuesday before all elective surgery was suspended in CO. Just a little more joy.
Hang in there everybody and know you will make full recovery with a lot of hard work and PATIENCE!!!
I would hope that a bicep repair wouldn't be elective.

nighthiker

Skier
March 24th - Tested at 87 degrees. Just a little better. My PT was saying he might have to tell my surgeon that I plateaued and would need me to be put under anesthesia to get range of motion back. He is holding off on that as I am making progress. The key to this progress is the PT using a method called distraction, where he pulls the lower leg away from the joint to create space in the joint so the ROM is not as painful. It still hurts really bad, but not as bad as before. PT says the pain I was feeling before was joint pain.

Sponsor

Staff online