• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

h2walaska

Booting up
Skier
If I could impose, did you have day surgery? My understanding is that they will be putting me under and that the surgery Wil be 45 minutes to an hour and in recovery for 2 hours before being released. How are you doing getting around your home? Are you on pain meds or Tylenol?
I sincerely look forward to hearing about your progress and following in your shadow.
Yes, day surgery and just as you described. Didn’t have any real issues. I’ m now stayIng in one level of our house as stairs are a problem but getting around as necessary on crutches. I can see that having some grab rails in the bathroom would be helpful as the one sore leg locked in a straight leg brace is awkward. Still using hydrocodone but am going to try Advil during the day and narcotics at night as needed. FYI just turned 65 but in decent shape (still play hockey twice a week)tore my leg up swinging a golf club on a frosty tee box, Impose any time you like...

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
If I could impose, did you have day surgery? My understanding is that they will be putting me under and that the surgery Wil be 45 minutes to an hour and in recovery for 2 hours before being released. How are you doing getting around your home? Are you on pain meds or Tylenol?
I sincerely look forward to hearing about your progress and following in your shadow.
Welcome KMAC, from a relative old timer 32 weeks post QTR surgery. My surgery was a bit more complicated since I tore my quad tendon/ MCL and LCL !! 3 hour surgery for me. Most that just quad tear,the surgery takes about an hour to an hour and a half. I'm 80 and in good shape (weightlifter and a surfer). You can go back to page 13 (i think) and followmy progress frustrations PT and all.
This is a very frustrating injury but progress and a a good outcome has happened for almost everyone on the QTR forum !!
I know that I was helped immeasurably by those who had and were going through surgery and rehab. I can give you my experiences and how I rehabbed my injury with my PT and Surgeon.
Remember DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED !!! PROGRESS MAYBE SLOW BUT IT WILL COME !!!
Tank care and let us know how your surgery goes !!
CORT

50+ Year Skier

Loving Loveland - 50+ yrs
Skier
Hey all, new poster here as I just found this blog courtesy of a friend. Responding to KMAC as well, re recovery. I'm almost 16 weeks past surgery for a double QRT. Walking to get a sandwich at lunch on a level sidewalk when the left then right quads just failed. Joy. Happened on Monday, ER sent me home in leg immobilizers until surgery on Wednesday. Five hours later, awake and in hospital for four days. Only consistent answer to this failure in a 56 year old active guy who coaches youth mt biking and had skied for more than 50 years is the use of statins for cholesterol. Needless to say, I'm not taking those anymore.... Anyone else have similar issues?
Spent the next six and a half weeks in a rehab facility, GOING NUTS! Enough whining... started passive ROM week three and released to weight bearing week five. That was momentous and really started my recovery.
I was off crutches eight weeks post surgery, doing pt twice a week. Biggest challenge had been to not overdo my physical activity... every time I do, I spend four days doing very little.
Last week, I finally felt like I was walking normally on level surfaces. Stairs are better but still "uncomfortable". Biggest frustration is the time it's taking to rebuild the muscle mass and strength that was lost through almost five weeks of no physical activity. This is getting better but not as fast as I'd like. That's true for everyone who wants to get back to normal asap. I write this as much to myself as to you....just keep plugging away and recognize and enjoy the small victories that happen along the path. This is a long term recovery (and I've had two rotator cuff repairs so I know about looking recoveries). If the object, like me, is to get back on the slopes, take the tone necessary for full recovery.
The doc cleared me to ski in February 2020 but I know my leg strength won't be there yet. Why tempt fate, after all, this has already been such a fun experience!
So, for three rest of you that might be reading this, any suggestions for braces to use when I do get back to the slopes during the 20/21 season? Lots of folks say they're not necessary but I'd target be safe than sorry.

h2walaska

Booting up
Skier
KMAC and H2walaska my posts start on page 11 if you like to see how my PT unfolded ...and progressed
Cortney,
Thanks, There is a lot to learn here. I can see one has to develop patience, be philosophical and dedicated and goal oriented. None of which are my strong suits. Staples come out in a week and then I guess I get started ...

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Hi All,
First off I'm not much of a skier, howver I was diagnosed with a torn right quad on Wednesday, October 23rd for which I'll be having surgery on Tuesday the 29th. I missed a step on the stairs outside my home and sent my kneecap somewhere it didn't belong. Initially the ER said it was a dislocation of the patella, but the ortopedic confirmed the quad tear. I feel so badly for my wife having to take on all the household chores while also getting me to pre-op appointments. I've been reading most of the day about other folks experiences as I came across the forum while trying to determine what I'll be facing going forward. Being stuck in the house all day with limited mobility is taking a lot to get used to. I hope to continue reading about your recovery and would appreciate any tips on coping. Thank you.
Your biggest challenge will be to get through the first 3 to 5 days after surgery. Here are a few tips in no particular order.

1. Set up a nest in front of a TV with snacks, power supplies for your phone, magazines etc. You'll be there a while though you've probably entered this stage. I lived for 3 weeks in a recliner
2. Plan for how you will go to the bathroom. If you have patient support teams ask about a urinal but you're probably already learned this as well.
3. If you have a nerve block you will be fine for a while but when it wears off the fun will start. Take your pain pills as scheduled even if you're not in any pain If you do have a nerve block. You DO NOT want to wait the pain to start before you take them.
4. Don't be afraid to ask your Dr. to take more if the pain is bad enough.
5. Ice helps a lot but you'll have your immobilizer and a lot of bandages. The brace has two rails on either side of your knee which will minimize contact with the ice. Ask if it's ok to open up the immobilizer so you can get more contact with the ice.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Hi All,
First off I'm not much of a skier, howver I was diagnosed with a torn right quad on Wednesday, October 23rd for which I'll be having surgery on Tuesday the 29th. I missed a step on the stairs outside my home and sent my kneecap somewhere it didn't belong. Initially the ER said it was a dislocation of the patella, but the ortopedic confirmed the quad tear. I feel so badly for my wife having to take on all the household chores while also getting me to pre-op appointments. I've been reading most of the day about other folks experiences as I came across the forum while trying to determine what I'll be facing going forward. Being stuck in the house all day with limited mobility is taking a lot to get used to. I hope to continue reading about your recovery and would appreciate any tips on coping. Thank you.
Your biggest challenge will be to get through the first 3 to 5 days after surgery. Here are a few tips in no particular order.

1. Set up a nest in front of a TV with snacks, power supplies for your phone, magazines etc. You'll be there a while though you've probably entered this stage. I lived for 3 weeks in a recliner
2. Plan for how you will go to the bathroom. If you have patient support teams ask about a urinal but you're probably already learned this as well.
3. If you have a nerve block you will be fine for a while but when it wears off the fun will start. Take your pain pills as scheduled even if you're not in any pain If you do have a nerve block. You DO NOT want to wait the pain to start before you take them.
4. Don't be afraid to ask your Dr. to take more if the pain is bad enough.
5. Ice helps a lot but you'll have your immobilizer and a lot of bandages. The brace has two rails on either side of your knee which will minimize contact with the ice. Ask if it's ok to open up the immobilizer so you can get more contact with the ice.

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Hello All those who had recent surgery. The Last in Lin has given you great advice! Follow it and life will be easier the first few weeks... Now here is something I did the second time I had gone through this procedure. I am going to try to up load a file of Straight Leg exercises I did while in the locked straight leg brace. I ask my surgeon if I could do them at the 3 week mark. I faxed these to his office and after his review he said go ahead and start. I feel this allowed me to get a head start when I arrived at managed Physical Therapy! IMPORTANT----ONLY TRY THESE IN YOUR LOCKED BRACE and ONLY IF YOUR SURGEON HAS REVIEWED/APPROVED!
Note there are 4 pictures on the sheet---Do Not Attempt do the one the one the Woman With The Resistance Band is doing.
Just ask to be able to do the 3 the man is doing. Again this helped me as it felt I was doing something positive to help my recovery. The PT people confirmed I was helped by doing these before I arrived for my sessions out of the Brace! I hope your circumstance allows your Surgeon to approve this head start for you. Only your doctor can determine whether your particular repair would be able to handle these exercises. I hope you get the green light...

Frank M
002.jpg

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Hello All those who had recent surgery. The Last in Lin has given you great advice! Follow it and life will be easier the first few weeks... Now here is something I did the second time I had gone through this procedure. I am going to try to up load a file of Straight Leg exercises I did while in the locked straight leg brace. I ask my surgeon if I could do them at the 3 week mark. I faxed these to his office and after his review he said go ahead and start. I feel this allowed me to get a head start when I arrived at managed Physical Therapy! IMPORTANT----ONLY TRY THESE IN YOUR LOCKED BRACE and ONLY IF YOUR SURGEON HAS REVIEWED/APPROVED!
Note there are 4 pictures on the sheet---Do Not Attempt do the one the one the Woman With The Resistance Band is doing.
Just ask to be able to do the 3 the man is doing. Again this helped me as it felt I was doing something positive to help my recovery. The PT people confirmed I was helped by doing these before I arrived for my sessions out of the Brace! I hope your circumstance allows your Surgeon to approve this head start for you. Only your doctor can determine whether your particular repair would be able to handle these exercises. I hope you get the green light...

Frank M View attachment 83218
True. I was given the front leg raises after two weeks. At first it was almost impossible but after a week or two I was doing 50 per set. One thing I regret is not asking for some side leg raises or other exercises. Also, Kmac, if you're allowed to stretch (bend) your knee ask about ROM exercises while in the immobilizer. After 2 weeks I was allowed to bend my knee as much as I wanted but not necessarily encouraged to do it. Your biggest rehab challenge will be range of motion.

50+ Year Skier

Skier
Big point..... patience!!!! It will come but follow your doc's direction. It about killed me mentally to be fully immobile for 4+ weeks with the double quad rupture but the main thing is to make sure you get good adhesion for the repair site. As for ice, if you don't have the cold water pump thing, get one. I had these for about two weeks inside the immobilizers... ice replaced every four hours. A pillow case folded in quarters makes a good barrier to the cold pad.
Last in Lin was also dead on.... don't get behind the pain, there will be time to wean off the meds but not during the first couple of weeks. I was down to ibuprofin about two and a half weeks after surgery, but that's me. Pain will be your guide, both in pain management and in activity. The time I spent fully immobile was difficult but well spent as I've had a good repair. Listen to your doc and ask a LOT of questions. Don't assume that anything you ask is stupid, information is power in your understanding of what you need to recover!
Hang in there, we've all been there and are here to support you in your recovery!

h2walaska

Booting up
Skier
Big point..... patience!!!! It will come but follow your doc's direction. It about killed me mentally to be fully immobile for 4+ weeks with the double quad rupture but the main thing is to make sure you get good adhesion for the repair site. As for ice, if you don't have the cold water pump thing, get one. I had these for about two weeks inside the immobilizers... ice replaced every four hours. A pillow case folded in quarters makes a good barrier to the cold pad.
Last in Lin was also dead on.... don't get behind the pain, there will be time to wean off the meds but not during the first couple of weeks. I was down to ibuprofin about two and a half weeks after surgery, but that's me. Pain will be your guide, both in pain management and in activity. The time I spent fully immobile was difficult but well spent as I've had a good repair. Listen to your doc and ask a LOT of questions. Don't assume that anything you ask is stupid, information is power in your understanding of what you need to recover!
Hang in there, we've all been there and are here to support you in your recovery!
Guys,
Thank you very much for your advice and support. All has been spot on. I can’t imagine how you could survive a double quad rupture. I’m excited to get permission to do leg lifts at the proper time. I do have an ice machine and am nested up. I have to confess to a little melancholy as we had bought Epic passes to ski the West this year and I can’t see myself getting in an airplane cockpit for a while, but I’ll take it one day at a time. Thanks again & Ill stop whining.

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
Hey all, new poster here as I just found this blog courtesy of a friend. Responding to KMAC as well, re recovery. I'm almost 16 weeks past surgery for a double QRT. Walking to get a sandwich at lunch on a level sidewalk when the left then right quads just failed. Joy. Happened on Monday, ER sent me home in leg immobilizers until surgery on Wednesday. Five hours later, awake and in hospital for four days. Only consistent answer to this failure in a 56 year old active guy who coaches youth mt biking and had skied for more than 50 years is the use of statins for cholesterol. Needless to say, I'm not taking those anymore.... Anyone else have similar issues?
Spent the next six and a half weeks in a rehab facility, GOING NUTS! Enough whining... started passive ROM week three and released to weight bearing week five. That was momentous and really started my recovery.
I was off crutches eight weeks post surgery, doing pt twice a week. Biggest challenge had been to not overdo my physical activity... every time I do, I spend four days doing very little.
Last week, I finally felt like I was walking normally on level surfaces. Stairs are better but still "uncomfortable". Biggest frustration is the time it's taking to rebuild the muscle mass and strength that was lost through almost five weeks of no physical activity. This is getting better but not as fast as I'd like. That's true for everyone who wants to get back to normal asap. I write this as much to myself as to you....just keep plugging away and recognize and enjoy the small victories that happen along the path. This is a long term recovery (and I've had two rotator cuff repairs so I know about looking recoveries). If the object, like me, is to get back on the slopes, take the tone necessary for full recovery.
The doc cleared me to ski in February 2020 but I know my leg strength won't be there yet. Why tempt fate, after all, this has already been such a fun experience!
So, for three rest of you that might be reading this, any suggestions for braces to use when I do get back to the slopes during the 20/21 season? Lots of folks say they're not necessary but I'd target be safe than sorry.

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
Hello KMac and the other newbies lol. First off I’m sorry this happened to you. Most people will not understand how devastating of an injury this is and how much it takes to get back to “normal” again. Number one take it day by day and small battles matter. I’m happy to say I’m 19 weeks post op and have been released from PT. Still not where I want to be but, I’ll keep grinding until I do. Keep your head up and keep working. I promise you it will get better. This blog has helped so many of us during a pretty dark period.

kmac

Booting up
Skier
Hi Folks,
Been awhile since I first posted, but have read all 18 pages of posts and was able to utilze some of the information to my advantage, starting with being able to research, understand and ask my surgeon if he recommended a nerve block which he did! Had my surgery on October 29th to which my doctor replied "looked like an explosion". Slept downstairs in a recliner the 1st night which wasn't to bad and my wife slept on the couch in case I needed anything. Slept okay the 1st night probably due to the effects of surgery, but the next 2 nights may have gotten a total of 6 hours. Night 4 I made it upstairs and slept fairly well ( I should note I didn't like how the pain meds made me feel and went to Tylenol only after 4 days)
Had the staples removed on November 11th and immediately felt a difference though as you know....two more weeks of straight leg immobilization followed. Had an appt on November 27th and surgeon was pleased that I was able to raise my leg on my own. Now in brace that was supposed to be set at 30 degrees, but noticed this morning it appears to be allowing up to 40. Additionally have not slept well again the last two nights so I assume it's adjusting to the new brace. I asked about exercise and was told walking only. I'm scheduled to go back in two weeks to then be set at 90 degrees.
My doctor is very much about taking things two weeks at a time, but after my appt on Wednesday, I called my employer to provide an update as I have been doing and a comment was made that they were under the impression I would be back on December 9th as that was a date the insurance company provided them. I could sense my supervisors frustration, but after calling the insurance rep this morning with an update from my appt Wednesday as I'm required, I questioned the date of the 9th and it was indicated that was just a placeholder as something needed to be inputted to their system and that the date would be "pushed out" until the end of December and then reevaluated.
Could anyone provide a timeframe based on your experience as to given this is my right (drivers) leg, when in your recovery were you cleared to drive? Did you return to work at that same time?
For now; since daytime TV is mind numbing I've been spending time reading, reviewing bills and trying to contribute around the house as best I can.
Thanks for taking the time to read.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Hi Folks,
Been awhile since I first posted, but have read all 18 pages of posts and was able to utilze some of the information to my advantage, starting with being able to research, understand and ask my surgeon if he recommended a nerve block which he did! Had my surgery on October 29th to which my doctor replied "looked like an explosion". Slept downstairs in a recliner the 1st night which wasn't to bad and my wife slept on the couch in case I needed anything. Slept okay the 1st night probably due to the effects of surgery, but the next 2 nights may have gotten a total of 6 hours. Night 4 I made it upstairs and slept fairly well ( I should note I didn't like how the pain meds made me feel and went to Tylenol only after 4 days)
Had the staples removed on November 11th and immediately felt a difference though as you know....two more weeks of straight leg immobilization followed. Had an appt on November 27th and surgeon was pleased that I was able to raise my leg on my own. Now in brace that was supposed to be set at 30 degrees, but noticed this morning it appears to be allowing up to 40. Additionally have not slept well again the last two nights so I assume it's adjusting to the new brace. I asked about exercise and was told walking only. I'm scheduled to go back in two weeks to then be set at 90 degrees.
My doctor is very much about taking things two weeks at a time, but after my appt on Wednesday, I called my employer to provide an update as I have been doing and a comment was made that they were under the impression I would be back on December 9th as that was a date the insurance company provided them. I could sense my supervisors frustration, but after calling the insurance rep this morning with an update from my appt Wednesday as I'm required, I questioned the date of the 9th and it was indicated that was just a placeholder as something needed to be inputted to their system and that the date would be "pushed out" until the end of December and then reevaluated.
Could anyone provide a timeframe based on your experience as to given this is my right (drivers) leg, when in your recovery were you cleared to drive? Did you return to work at that same time?
For now; since daytime TV is mind numbing I've been spending time reading, reviewing bills and trying to contribute around the house as best I can.
Thanks for taking the time to read.
Based on my experience with my left leg I would estimate 8 weeks post-op provided you've had a couple of weeks of therapy. Think about how fast you get your foot off of the gas and on the brakes. Is your company willing to cover Uber, Lyft or a taxi? Maybe for even 2 or 3 days a week? My county has low cost public transportation for those that can't drive any longer.

50+ Year Skier

Skier
Based on my experience with my left leg I would estimate 8 weeks post-op provided you've had a couple of weeks of therapy. Think about how fast you get your foot off of the gas and on the brakes. Is your company willing to cover Uber, Lyft or a taxi? Maybe for even 2 or 3 days a week? My county has low cost public transportation for those that can't drive any longer.
from Thorion....For me, it took about 8-9 weeks before I had enough range of motion to physically get into the front seat of a vehicle, never mind driving. I kept my driving to local roads only for the first week but was able to get back to work the day after labor day, 9 and 1/2 weeks post injury. I was only able to do this as I drive a Ford Expedition. It would have taken longer if I had to get up out of a sedan as there was no way I'd have had the strength or range of motion without help from someone else. Hang in there and stick with rehab... you'll get there.

kmac

Booting up
Skier
Reaching out yet again, this time for brace/compression recommendations. Currently in a brace and 30 degrees and anticipate being at 90 degrees around the 16th of the month thru the 30th. I'm planning a vacation for some time shortly afterward which will require a bit of walking albeit slowly. Would feel more confident if I was to wear some type of sleeve during those walks. Anyone have an opinion based on your experience for a sleeve to consider? Thank you.

The Last in Lin

Booting up
Skier
Reaching out yet again, this time for brace/compression recommendations. Currently in a brace and 30 degrees and anticipate being at 90 degrees around the 16th of the month thru the 30th. I'm planning a vacation for some time shortly afterward which will require a bit of walking albeit slowly. Would feel more confident if I was to wear some type of sleeve during those walks. Anyone have an opinion based on your experience for a sleeve to consider? Thank you.
My surgeon suggested a thermal compression sleeve for the first winter. The one I got was WAY too thermal and I didn't wear it long before I gave it up. I think I have a Copperfit that is better.