• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
Wow why did they wait 12 days? Thanks for the encouragement sorry you had to go through that. Next week I’ll be out of the brace. I’m a little nervous about that but, I guess it’s time to get moving. Going down hill, down stairs, or walking on uneven terrain is still very difficult and downright nerve wrecking. I definitely find myself looking down at the ground or floor all the time when walking.
Good Morning JFry !!
A combination of unfortunate circumstances that delayed my surgery... Friday morning injury, emergency doc diagnosed it properly, couldn't get to a a sports medicine assessment doctor till Tuesday, MRI booked couldn't get into a MRI until the Thursday.. Doc called me to do an immediate surgery that day..I Iive alone and my girlfriend couldn't fly into Seattle from Wyoming until the next week.. I would have hired a nurse to help me, however, I couldn't have the surgery that day because I had already eaten and that precluded getting surgery that day... adding to the delay my surgeon was leaving on vacation the next day...He set me up with another surgeon (excellent choice) but it was President's Day weekend and he wasn't available to operate until Tuesday....
So I injured myself on early Feb 8 surgery late Feb 19....
I am an athlete 59 years old.. Surfer.. weightlifter (bodybuilder) which impeded my ROM, but allowed me to regain strength much faster than other athletes ...
All this being said... YOU ARE PROGRESSING AS FAST AS FRANK (the gold standard of recovery)
I am STILL VERY AWARE OF GOING DOWN STAIRS !!! QUITE UNSETTLING !!! EVEN NOW AND I'M 26 WEEKS post surgery !!
YOU'RE DOING FANTASTIC !!!
BRAVO !!!

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Hi Guys...No answer for J on pain when asleep. I must have been fortunate in that regard. You may have bent the knee in some unusual way to cause it. I saw my surgeon first time in 6 weeks. Which just before I restarted PT. He look at X-Rays of my broken knee cap and declared it healed! :) I could see the 2 screws he put in plus the wire. Very weird to think those are in there...Then he declared me ready to run and I was shocked. plus said I did not need any more PT though only at 117 ROM. I did go to my scheduled PT the next day and told my guy. He was not in agreement. I said work it out with doc since he needs to give me prescription for more PT. Personally I feel I can use more. I would like to have leg stronger. Up and down stairs does seem to be an issue as I am walking up and down fine. Well that is it for now. I will go to PT tomorrow and find out if doc gave me more sessions. I hope so :)

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
Hi Guys...No answer for J on pain when asleep. I must have been fortunate in that regard. You may have bent the knee in some unusual way to cause it. I saw my surgeon first time in 6 weeks. Which just before I restarted PT. He look at X-Rays of my broken knee cap and declared it healed! :) I could see the 2 screws he put in plus the wire. Very weird to think those are in there...Then he declared me ready to run and I was shocked. plus said I did not need any more PT though only at 117 ROM. I did go to my scheduled PT the next day and told my guy. He was not in agreement. I said work it out with doc since he needs to give me prescription for more PT. Personally I feel I can use more. I would like to have leg stronger. Up and down stairs does seem to be an issue as I am walking up and down fine. Well that is it for now. I will go to PT tomorrow and find out if doc gave me more sessions. I hope so :)
Excellent Frank !
Of course I wouldn’t have expected any thing less of a miraculous recovery from you !!
Bravo...
Will you start running soon ?

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
Frank I would tell your doctor that you would feel more comfortable with PT. Ultimately it’s your knee and health. Doctors try to discharge you as quickly as possible. If not maybe a second opinion. Good luck glad to hear you’re doing better.

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Just a quick note---Just back from my PT session and hit 120 ROM. This the mark I hit after 12 PT sessions after my Feb '19 Quad surgery. I am in session number 13 for the broken kneecap surgery I had in late May. Look out 130 here I come!!! :)
Frank

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
Just a quick note---Just back from my PT session and hit 120 ROM. This the mark I hit after 12 PT sessions after my Feb '19 Quad surgery. I am in session number 13 for the broken kneecap surgery I had in late May. Look out 130 here I come!!! :)
Frank
Congratulations Frank ! Damn ! Always impressed by your rapid progress !!!

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
Hope everyone is doing well. Another week of rehab down. I’m officially out of the brace.as of today. Awesome feeling but kind of scary at the same time. I definitely feel like I’m getting stronger. Going to try and walk a little more. I have to get to about 140 degrees to have full ROM. Have a good weekend.

Keith

Booting up
Skier
Hi all

Bravo JFry on the ROM progress and it's great to be out of that brace. I know it's essential but man I hated it. I can also identify with the pain you're experiencing in bed. I had that nightly for a good while after my brace came off, but then I just noticed I wasn't experiencing it anymore so not sure when it stopped.
Frank you're rapid recovery and progress amaze me there's really nothing else to say
Hope all's well with you Cortney.
38 weeks post op for me. Completely pain free, still a little stiffness and swelling from time to time, but hey, I can live with that. Never thought I'd be back to normal this quickly. It's flown by
Best wishes everyone.
Keith

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
What did you guys do with your brace once you were out of it? Debating on if I should throw it away. Had another PT session measured at 135 at 10 weeks. Still very weak though. PT said that quad strength takes a long time to get back but, with hard work it will return in another 8 weeks.I really believe the pool on my own, using the stem, and doing extra exercises at home has really helped.

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
What did you guys do with your brace once you were out of it? Debating on if I should throw it away. Had another PT session measured at 135 at 10 weeks. Still very weak though. PT said that quad strength takes a long time to get back but, with hard work it will return in another 8 weeks.I really believe the pool on my own, using the stem, and doing extra exercises at home has really helped.
Good Evening JFry
My experience was that I was out of my brace when I achieved 100 degrees ROM. I did not get ROM as fast as you or Frank, however my PT and OS said that it would be HIGHLY unlikely that I would re-rupture my quad tendon with 100 ROM. I used 2 canes then went to one cane as my strength improved.
We all have differing ways to regain our quad strength. Mine was leg press combined with careful leg extensions and hamstring curls. I also did gait improvement in the pool along with practicing surfing pop up exercises with a diving weight belt, squats too until I could perform them outside the pool with body weight.
I am 28 weeks post surgery. 135 ROM (full ROM for me)
I am now at approximately 75 percent strength of my uninjured leg. My PT and OS said that 85-90 percent is considered a full recovery. I am aiming for 90-95 percent.
I am up to 500 lbs on the leg press with 9-12 sets reps of 10 done weekly (total sets per week). 8 sets of extensions and 8 sets of hamstring curls also.
I believe that Frank and Keith use the stationary bike and /or road bike to increase their strength more than traditional body building exercises which I use (I am a body builder).
All of us are very individualized in our recovery and rehab protocol(s).
I would say to be careful once you are out of your brace because I had the unfortunate predilection to have my leg giving out due to weakness and me "forgetting how to fire my quads properly, especially my vastus medialis. I still have some weakness to lock my leg to 0 degrees but it is improving quickly.
Hope this helps. You are doing very well getting to 135 ROM so quickly... You and Frank are super human !!
Cortney

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
Hi all

Bravo JFry on the ROM progress and it's great to be out of that brace. I know it's essential but man I hated it. I can also identify with the pain you're experiencing in bed. I had that nightly for a good while after my brace came off, but then I just noticed I wasn't experiencing it anymore so not sure when it stopped.
Frank you're rapid recovery and progress amaze me there's really nothing else to say
Hope all's well with you Cortney.
38 weeks post op for me. Completely pain free, still a little stiffness and swelling from time to time, but hey, I can live with that. Never thought I'd be back to normal this quickly. It's flown by
Best wishes everyone.
Keith
Keith !!!
Great to hear from you !!! Glad you are fully rehabbed !! Bravo !!
I am 28 weeks post surgery. 135 ROM (full ROM for me)
I'm now at approximately 75 percent strength of my uninjured leg. My PT and OS said that 85-90 percent is considered a full recovery. I'm aiming for 90-95 percent.
I'm up to 500 lbs on the leg press with 9-12 sets reps of 10 done weekly (total sets per week). 8 sets of extensions and 8 sets of hamstring curls also.
Enough strength to do walking lunges with 95 lbs on my back.
Still somewhat unsteady to "pop up" (the action of going from prone on a surf board to standing, but getting better. Doing it on the floor now. Soon I will put my board on the floor with pillows underneath it to make it a little more unstable to mimic (slightly) how it feels to be in the water and stand up.
I hope to paddle out and surf in about 4-6 weeks
Thanks again for your encouragement all through my recovery; especially in those dark days when I first went to PT !!
Cortney

Keith

Booting up
Skier
Hi Cortney, good to hear from you.
That surf's ever closer, must be a great feeling
I really get what you're saying about fluidity of movement when trying to stand from a prone position. It's strange with this injury how things just seem to suddenly correct themselves. My hair seemed very forced and I was literally thinking about every step and it didn't feel natural at all. Then at about week 32, I suddenly realised that I was walking completely normally and not giving a thought to it!! Everyone who knows me has also noticed the difference. It's weird, like you're brain just suddenly fires the correct muscle groups and tendons at exactly the right time and it's suddenly the new normal
Great to hear of everyone's continued progress on here.
Cheers.
Keith

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
Err my post above should say "my gait was very forced" not my hair
Good morning Keith !!!
I have had many bad "hair" days and bad gait days too !!!! lLOL !!!
We are very much alike !! I am a fanatic about written and spoken language !!!
But the following remains a constant !
I REALLY APPRECIATE and I am indebted to you with your help and encouragement through this damn injury !!!
Thank you !!!
Cortney

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
I have been MIA for a few days but still around :) Well this past week at PT the put me in an Alter G treadmill. It operates as any treadmill with the exception your body from waste down is enclosed in bubble of plastic. You put on special trunks with a hop which has a zipper. Once the trunks are on you step into the deflated plastic bubble and they zip up the pants to top of bubble. The apparatus is turned on inflating the bubble around you and the machine! Strange feeling to say the least. Then before starting the treadmill you are in they adjust your weight while in the machine. In my case they set at 70% of my body weight. Now I start the treadmill and run!!! The idea is to reduce the pounding on the body from waist down thus not causing any extra force to the knee. Did 3/4 of a mile in about 11 minutes, Very different then just running on a treadmill. Then last Friday after I finished coaching my high school Cross Country team for the day. I walk/ran my first 1600 meters on a track since Feb of this year when I had my quad tear followed by my broken knee cap! I did as the doc suggested--- waking the turns and running the straights. I did this for 3 laps then on the last I walked the 100m and ran 300m without stopping :) No pain though in the evening little puffed up. I plan to do this 3 times a week until I can do the 1600m without stopping. That is my goal.
Glad to read all the positive comments on how all of you are doing. Surf is almost up for your Courtney! And Keith I had same type of thing happen when I found myself walking up my stairs normally without thinking about it. Going down while I do it normally I do concentrate. JFry 135 ROM is super at your stage from the op. I am hoping to get to 130 eventually as I have hovered at 121 for last two PT sessions.
Continued success and progress to all for your goals :)

Frank

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
I have been MIA for a few days but still around :) Well this past week at PT the put me in an Alter G treadmill. It operates as any treadmill with the exception your body from waste down is enclosed in bubble of plastic. You put on special trunks with a hop which has a zipper. Once the trunks are on you step into the deflated plastic bubble and they zip up the pants to top of bubble. The apparatus is turned on inflating the bubble around you and the machine! Strange feeling to say the least. Then before starting the treadmill you are in they adjust your weight while in the machine. In my case they set at 70% of my body weight. Now I start the treadmill and run!!! The idea is to reduce the pounding on the body from waist down thus not causing any extra force to the knee. Did 3/4 of a mile in about 11 minutes, Very different then just running on a treadmill. Then last Friday after I finished coaching my high school Cross Country team for the day. I walk/ran my first 1600 meters on a track since Feb of this year when I had my quad tear followed by my broken knee cap! I did as the doc suggested--- waking the turns and running the straights. I did this for 3 laps then on the last I walked the 100m and ran 300m without stopping :) No pain though in the evening little puffed up. I plan to do this 3 times a week until I can do the 1600m without stopping. That is my goal.
Glad to read all the positive comments on how all of you are doing. Surf is almost up for your Courtney! And Keith I had same type of thing happen when I found myself walking up my stairs normally without thinking about it. Going down while I do it normally I do concentrate. JFry 135 ROM is super at your stage from the op. I am hoping to get to 130 eventually as I have hovered at 121 for last two PT sessions.
Continued success and progress to all for your goals :)

Frank
Glad you’re continuing to progress. That treadmill sounds awesome. My PT place has basic equipment nothing like that hahahahaha!

I see the doctor next week he should be pleased with my ROM. PT is still a grind especially trying to work during the week. I’m exhausted by Friday. Still getting pain and swelling especially after PT. I’m able to ride the bike a little longer. Still a long way to go to get the strength back. Hoping to walk down the stairs one after the other soon but it’s still feels weird. Wouldn’t wish this on anyone. Hope you have a good rest of your week. Keep at it!

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
Anybody get pain in the non injured knee? I ruptured the patellar tendon 9 years ago in that knee. Hope I don’t tear anything in that knee.

bruce hunt

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
good morning, just signed up for this site. I feel down the stairs in late June and ruptured my quad. I am now in week 13/14 and I can only bend to about 85. should I be really concerned about this, or dose it just take more time. in PT they have their protocol which says I should be at 130 degrees. the other day in PT they just bent my leg and it hurts like crazy. my issue with were I go to PT is it's never the same session. one physical therapist can be really aggressive and other not. I do go to the pool each day, it's heated and I get a nice workout. I find that to be better sometimes than PT. Any thoughts

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
good morning, just signed up for this site. I feel down the stairs in late June and ruptured my quad. I am now in week 13/14 and I can only bend to about 85. should I be really concerned about this, or dose it just take more time. in PT they have their protocol which says I should be at 130 degrees. the other day in PT they just bent my leg and it hurts like crazy. my issue with were I go to PT is it's never the same session. one physical therapist can be really aggressive and other not. I do go to the pool each day, it's heated and I get a nice workout. I find that to be better sometimes than PT. Any thoughts
Welcome Bruce,
My name is Cortney and you can read my experiences in my posts starting 9 weeks post surgery and 3 weeks into PT. I was injured on Feb 9 and had surgery Feb 19. I was locked straight in articulating (hinged) brace for 6 weeks. then PT starting week 6 and now I am at week 30. Full ROM of 135 (normal for me) and about 80% strength of my uninjured leg.
As I'm sure you know by now this is a very severe, difficult frustrating and painful injury. I can give you my experience, which seems to be close to what you are experiencing now at 13-14 week out. First question is this 13-14 weeks post surgery? When I was 12 weeks I only had 90 degrees and every PT session was a new experience in pain for the first 6 weeks of PT. I was always amazed at Frank and JFry getting their 120 degrees within 3 4 weeks of starting PT. I am a surfer and bodybuilder (a very eclectic combination for sure) and my ROM (Range of Motion) came much more slowly than others.But it came, I was able to discern that leg press in the gym allowed me
to progress faster. I was given the go ahead to do this from my PT and surgeon. This helped me a lot.HOWEVER, we are all different and what worked for me may not work for you.
It will be VERY helpful for you to read about my experience in my posts. Also, reading about Frank JFry and Keith's experiences. We are all different.
If your surgeon is not concerned with your ROM keep at it ! It will come !! DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED !
I check this forum almost everyday and will lend my experience and encouragement.
I know and have gone through what you are going through. Encouragement is vital as it helped me immensely fron the support I received from Keith Frank and JFry !
As I'm sure I speak for Frank, Keith and JFry, we are all here to help you with our experiences and support.
Sincerely
Cortney

Sponsor

Staff online