• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Good morning Frank !
I appreciate your interest in my progress !! It helps tremendously !
My strength is returning quite well through traditional gym strength exercises i.e. Leg Press Leg extensions Leg Curls etc,,, There still remains troubling movements indicative to surfing that are not responding to just a gym strength protocol !!!
HOWEVER, I have sought out a PT establishment like APEX which is a sports specific rehab facility... Thanks to you, and how your progress is amazing !! This PT firm has a long time surfer PT that is well versed in patella tendon rupture and/or Quad Tendon Ruptures.... My consult with him is tomorrow... He comes well recommended !!
I appreciate your experience with a good rehab facility and it has spurred me into action !!
Thank you !
Cort
Hello Cory ...Glad to hear you are being proactive in looking into additional PT specific to your sport. I presume this will help you get back to surfing. Today at PT I saw a young woman working on leg balance. She was on a board both feet on it and beneath it was a large roller. She had to shift her weight from side to side which made the board act as a see-saw (up &down) while she maintained balance. Might be something to work knee for adjustments like balancing on surf board...just saying.
I had long session with added items. At the end my PT guy measured my ROM in different manner. Normally it is done with my leg hanging over the side of the table. Today he had me in seated position had me raise my knees so both feet on table. ROM hit 95 degrees. He told me this was a better indicator than knee over side :) Happy guy!!!!
Frank

Legtostandon

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all

I’m a veteran from the old epicski forum on this injury. So pleased to find that this forum exists because I would have been lost without the help and support of others who had been through the experience.

I ruptured my right quad tendon in February 2015 and had surgery two days later (in London). I think my progress in the first few months was probably a little below average and rom took ages to come back. But it did with the help of pt and joining a gym. It was probably nearly a year before I really felt it was back to normal but I was a slow recovery.

4 years later I sometimes notice a slight lack of strength compared to my other leg, but not often. Otherwise I would say I’m often dimly aware of it going downstairs but it’s never an issue (and i use the London Underground to commute twice a day with escalators out more often than not!).

This is a great place with great advice and the kind of thing that got me through it. Believe me, if I have managed to get things back to normal then all of you will, and probably way faster than me.

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Hello All Who may read this :) Just had my 8th PT session today (8/13/19) and am pleased to report my ROM is at 110 degrees!!! This is interesting to me as the ROM is tracking the same as the time I had my Quad rupture. I must say I am sum what surprised as when I had my original injury in late Feb if this year My leg was much stronger and well defined. I had come into that injury as a runner and had good calves, hamstrings and Quads. Well I am blessed so far to come to this ROM quickly. My PT guy did caution me 5 degree improvements at this point may slow down. Work, work, work ahead for sure. In the immortal words of Porky Pig "That's All Folks" well until next time :)

Keith

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone

Great to hear of you fantastic progress again Frank, you are definitely the man when it comes to rehabbing!!! Sounds like you're in fantastic hands at the PT clinic too, it makes such a difference. I always felt my PT sessions weren't all they could be and made more progress in the Gym with my buddies spurring me on.

Cortney, nice to hear you're still being positive and looking forward to those waves again. Good to have a goal, particularly with something you love doing. Good luck with the new specific PT approach, I'm sure this will get you where you need to be. You've already made some real impressive gains with strength and muscle rebuilding and this will just enhance that progress.
I'm away on a hiking vacation this week and for the first time since December last year, feels like I'm walking relatively normally and downhill doesn't feel as deliberate.
Strength to you all guys and keep at it.

Keith

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Had PT session #11 yesterday(8/20)and go again tomorrow. My ROM hit 116 :) At session #11 during my original quad tear I was at 117 ROM tracking almost same. So tomorrow if the pattern continues I should hit 120 as I did first time back in May the day I fell broke my knee cap!!! I only had 12 PT sessions the first time before the fall. After tomorrow's session I will probably be renewed by my surgeon for 12 more PTs. I see the doc on Monday the 26th. :) Take care all who read this and continue forward with your recovery :)
Frank

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
Sorry haven’t been on here in awhile. Since about week six I started PT. I’m in week 8 now and I’m bending to 112 degrees and am driving again. My leg is still very weak and will buckle from time to time. My brace is unlocked and hoping to have it off next week. I know I have a long way to go still but seeing the work paying off and reading the other posts gives me hope.

Last edited:

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
Oh one more thing since I’m a member of the club I have to share how it happened. I wish I had a more interesting story but, I was walking in the grass and I my leg went down in a hole. My entire leg gave out, felt a snap and a pop, and my knee cap was up into my thigh. Hurts just thinking about it. Had surgery the very next day and the rest is history. It’s great that there is a site like this.

Keith

Booting up
Skier
Fantastic news Frank, absolutely amazing progress again. Man your positive attitude makes a whole lot of difference too. Keep it up buddy.

J.Fry, driving again at 8 weeks is great news. Gets you some feeling of independence back. I was at week 16 before they'd let me near my car! Fantastic progress on the ROM too. Keep up the great work.

Keith

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
I also wanted to suggest buying a stem unit. They are relatively cheap on Amazon. Using that with the ice has made a difference.

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Had PT session #11 yesterday(8/20)and go again tomorrow. My ROM hit 116 :) At session #11 during my original quad tear I was at 117 ROM tracking almost same. So tomorrow if the pattern continues I should hit 120 as I did first time back in May the day I fell broke my knee cap!!! I only had 12 PT sessions the first time before the fall. After tomorrow's session I will probably be renewed by my surgeon for 12 more PTs. I see the doc on Monday the 26th. :) Take care all who read this and continue forward with your recovery :)
Frank
Fantastic news Frank, absolutely amazing progress again. Man your positive attitude makes a whole lot of difference too. Keep it up buddy.

J.Fry, driving again at 8 weeks is great news. Gets you some feeling of independence back. I was at week 16 before they'd let me near my car! Fantastic progress on the ROM too. Keep up the great work.

Keith

Thank for your always positive remarks and support...great having you post to all going through this "exercise"!
Frank

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
I also wanted to suggest buying a stem unit. They are relatively cheap on Amazon. Using that with the ice has made a difference.
Hello J Fry...driving is a good thing. I felt I was under "house arrest". I could not bend the knee per doc for 6 weeks from my 2nd surgery for the broken knee cap since the 2 pieces were wired together. Then when I was allowed to drive I was still in brace but could not manipulate the leg to get it into the car. I have 2 seat sports type car low to ground. Driving is freedom :)

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
Walked in a pool this morning. It felt ok but the stiffness is killing me. Hopefully that will get better in time. I feel a pulling in my knee weird feeling.

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
My 12th PT session was long almost 2 hours including the 10 minute warm wrap and the 10 minute ice cool down. However, unlike the 12 session I had with my Quad tear on May 17 when I hit 120 ROM I slipped from 116 back to 115. While not much of a change I was looking to hit 120 ROM on this 12th visit since the broken knee cap surgery.
PT guy said not a big deal... I see surgeon on Monday the 26th and may learn more. Got to keep moving forward. :)
Frank

Frank M

Booting up
Skier
Walked in a pool this morning. It felt ok but the stiffness is killing me. Hopefully that will get better in time. I feel a pulling in my knee weird feeling.
Hi J … I get weird feelings as well but write it off to scar tissues breaking up. I presume if it were pain you would see the doc. As I tell my high school cross country team sore or still OK...Pain shut down. Hope this will pass...
Frank

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
Keep your head up Frank. You’re doing really well considering you had to start over again. I’m quickly learning slow and steady progress is what counts. Tough to deal with but, that’s life. Headed to PT now last one for the week going to make it count.

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
Hi J Fry
I can attest to the stiffness being really annoying. My PT said that my swelling ans stiffness was the worse he had seen even after having worked with over 25 clients with a complete quad tear. I was always envious of Frank getting his ROM back so quickly ( I still am envious !! EXCELLENT JOB FRANK !!)
Bottom line, and after a lot of work the stiffness is going away ( still a little bit stiff) ROM at 130-135. Take a look at my posts starting in April. My surgery was Feb 19.
Bottom line the stiffness will abate over time and you'll be getting steady progress !! Frank and Keith can tell you, I was very discouraged at the beginning but now 25 weeks after my surgery, I can really feel and see the improvement !!
Hang in there !!

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
Anybody wake up with pain in the middle of the night. I’m out of the brace when I sleep. Going into week 9 I have been waking up lately with pain and swelling. Of course I’m sleeping on my side. Just curious if anyone else had this.

Cortney Bowman

Booting up
Skier
Anybody wake up with pain in the middle of the night. I’m out of the brace when I sleep. Going into week 9 I have been waking up lately with pain and swelling. Of course I’m sleeping on my side. Just curious if anyone else had this.
Hi JFry
Absolutely, I couldn't sleep on my side until 8-10 weeks after my surgery ! It slowly became bearable after 12 weeks after my surgery. I seemed to heal more slowly than Keith or Frank. It might have been because I didn't get surgery until 12 days after I injured myself. A lot more swelling than most people experienced and I didn't get to 130 degrees ROM until my 16-17 weeks after surgery. On the whole you're doing fantastic !!

J.Fry

Booting up
Skier
Hi JFry
Absolutely, I couldn't sleep on my side until 8-10 weeks after my surgery ! It slowly became bearable after 12 weeks after my surgery. I seemed to heal more slowly than Keith or Frank. It might have been because I didn't get surgery until 12 days after I injured myself. A lot more swelling than most people experienced and I didn't get to 130 degrees ROM until my 16-17 weeks after surgery. On the whole you're doing fantastic !!

Wow why did they wait 12 days? Thanks for the encouragement sorry you had to go through that. Next week I’ll be out of the brace. I’m a little nervous about that but, I guess it’s time to get moving. Going down hill, down stairs, or walking on uneven terrain is still very difficult and downright nerve wrecking. I definitely find myself looking down at the ground or floor all the time when walking.