• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Quad Tendonitis / Knee Pain Putting boot in binding

hilljroberts

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
All, I'm dealing with knee pain right above the front of my right knee just a little toward the inside of the knee, essentially my Quad tendon. The pain is minimal at the start of the season and progresses as the season moves on. The pain manifests the most in trying click my right boot into my binding. At the start of the season I have no issue, but by February, I physically can't do it without pushing the back of the boot down with my hand to help add pressure. Too much pain to do it normally, and almost feels weak. It additionally hurts to a lesser extent turning and carving left when my weight is on that downhill ski. When going down stairs, ESPECIALLY in ski boots, the right knee hurts a lot. The Quad tendon looks fine on an MRI. I've done 18 months of PT, and seen an orthopedic surgeon, all are stumped. I've had a cortisone shot into the tendon, and that took all the pain away for two months, so it confirmed it was tendonitis and not arthritis. Unfortunately, I can't do any more of those shots into the tendon. I'm starting to grasp at straws, and wondering if this is an issue others have dealt with and maybe if it's technique based on my part. Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Here's additional background if desired. I'm 40, in good shape, and ski at a relatively high level (view myself better than 80% - 90% of those I see out there). I ski about once a week, Dec - March. This problem started about three years or so ago when I started skiing again regularly, and originally I thought the pain was volleyball related (which I also play at a competitive level), but I took the last 7 months off of that, and the knee pain was back after a month or so of skiing. In volleyball, the pain manifested itself as a stabbing pain when jumping or pushing off my right leg. (same spot, just above the knee). Most of the PT has been focused on increasing hip and hamstring strength.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Unfortunately, I can't do any more of those shots into the tendon. I'm starting to grasp at straws, and wondering if this is an issue others have dealt with and maybe if it's technique based on my part.

Maybe take a private lesson if you can swing the cost and time, to see if someone can spot something in your skiing that's out of whack and exacerbating things. Or, possibly there is something off with your alignment that puts you in an awkward position.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've had this problem on and off over the last 30 years.

The way i get rid of it, when it happens, is to wear a brace that immobilizes my knee, for a couple of days, but 100 percent of the time, including nights.

TS
H

hilljroberts

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Rod9301, very interesting. Do you feel that your knee starts tightening up/locking up being in a cast that long? do you take it out at all to stretch or really just leave it on for 2-3 days aside from showering? At this point i'm certainly willing to try it, and is an interesting homeopathic solution

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No, i don't feel that it's tightening at all. And i don't stretch, because that will prevent healing the micro tears in the tendon.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Consider a platelet rich plasma injection for that tendon. Nothing else has worked, and this might be the next option. PRP is produced from your own blood which is centrifuged to certain specifications to concentrate the growth factors then injected into the injury site. PRP for tendons may have different centrifuge speed or time than PRP for cartilage repair.
"PRP Treatment Efficacy for Tendinopathy: A Review of Basic Science Studies"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5004020/

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Been dealing with a patellar tendonitis flair up myself and came across an interesting approach to healing. Not enough studies to really take serious but could be something to it and nothing to lose by giving it a shot. Check it out, see what you think -

Sponsor

Staff online