• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pushing the Envelope on Private Lesson Pricing

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
This year’s window price for a private lesson at Vail is ...

wait for it...

$1,249

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait, for a full day, half day? How about a WEEK?
Dude, you'll be RICH if they tip accordingly! (Or, people will be so broke from paying for the lesson that they won't tip.)

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Wait, for a full day, half day? How about a WEEK?
Dude, you'll be RICH if they tip accordingly! (Or, people will be so broke from paying for the lesson that they won't tip.)
That's the window price. Book now online and save!
8-23-2019 5-21-33 PM.jpg

Is it just me, or does $1,249 seem like a lot :eek:

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

wait for it...

$1,249
I wonder how many will book a lesson at that price. On the surface it seems a bit insane but need some more information about what you get for the money.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder how many will book a lesson at that price. On the surface it seems a bit insane but need some more information about what you get for the money.
You get a 6.5 hour private lesson, from 9 to 3:30. It includes lift line cutting privleges, and you can include up to 5 friends/family. That's it. Nothing else included.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Whatever you think of them, the suits in Broomfield are not stupid. They have a pretty good idea what the market will bear.
But it blows my mind.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You get a 6.5 hour private lesson, from 9 to 3:30. It includes lift line cutting privleges, and you can include up to 5 friends/family. That's it. Nothing else included.
For 6 people that’s more reasonable, but still pricy for what amounts to a one day group lesson.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

wait for it...

$1,249

For Half of that or less I rather go cat skiing, and get some great pow and pow skiing tips in the process :D:D:D

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Whatever you think of them, the suits in Broomfield are not stupid. They have a pretty good idea what the market will bear.
But it blows my mind.

There IS an "underground" private lesson market in Vail... I dont and havent had ANY part in it but have known about it for the past few years.

Last edited:

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting tidbit that I have picked up from many experiences over the years - the best way to get a private lesson for a group rate price is to be a true level 9 skier and sign up for the all day group. Most times you are a group of one or maybe two. You get a full day of skiing with a great skier who gives you the “local” knowledge of the mountain. The pro loves it because he/she is skiing with someone who really enjoys skiing and the “student” loves it because they are getting a great day of skiing along with some good tips on how to take their skiing to the next level

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
For 6 people that’s more reasonable, but still pricy for what amounts to a one day group lesson.
That is a little over $200 per person for an all day small group lesson with line cutting privileges and the people in the group are family or friends. I don't think I would do it but it doesn't seem that bad for those that can afford it.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, but look at the deal. If you buy now it’s "only" $1059. :yeah: You save $190. :rolleyes:

I hate it when they use the word save when they sell you something on "sale." You still end up spending.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
There are places you can get a WEEK of cat skiing for that!

There are some great L3's on mountains all over the country for under $100/hour.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There are places you can get a WEEK of cat skiing for that!

There are some great L3's on mountains all over the country for under $100/hour.

Around here, privates are usually $100-$125 an hour. For a 6.5 hour lesson, that would be $650-$812.50 ... though I think some places lower the rate a bit for multiple hours. Of course, the place around here I've taken the most lessons (Whitetail) is now owned by Vail, so we'll see what happens to lift tickets and lesson prices this season. I'm guessing not much change initially - and they had already been raising private lesson prices the last couple of seasons.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My advice: learn how to ski somewhere else, before you go skiing at Vail.

I can understand splurging on lift-cutting privileges if you are ON A VACATION. "ON A VACATION" is an attitude as much as a description of an event (kind of like a "load and go" for patrollers); all the little things you splurge on when ON A VACATION add up and make the vacation that much greater, the expensive scotch, the high end ski rentals, the expensive restaurant meals, the Margaritas at the expensive airport chain restaurant, the blueberry pancake breakfast at the expensive hotel....Not being worried about how much you're spending makes a vacation that much happier. Of course, eating what's on sale instead of what you want, driving an inexpensive old 4-cylinder car AT THE SPEED LIMIT:( to save gasoline, and generally living like a popper the rest of the year so you can afford to do that also makes the vacation better by comparison.

Sponsor

Staff online