• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Purely an Aesthetic Question

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's spring, flowers are blooming, etc. ....

I'm considering doubling my ski quiver by getting Rossignol Soul 7s as my soft snow ski (my hard snow ski is a Kendo). I think I'll get Tyrolia Attack 13 for the bindings. Apart from the actual merits of choosing this particular ski and binding, there is an important (!?) aesthetic aspect to this transaction: the bindings come in black, neon green, and bright red. Which to choose?
  • The skis are predominately black, so the black binding would be a stately, conservative choice. And Zorro was my hero as a young boy.
  • The green bindings would add some zing*, and would make my skis easier to find on a crowded ski rack after lunch at the base lodge. As you can see from my picture, the rest of my ski outfit has no "zing". (the counter argument is that black bindings would certainly be consistent with that overall gestalt).
  • The red bindings would also add zing, but the tone might be slightly off (and thus possibly clash) with the red/orange trim on my new Lange RX 120 ski boots (thanks, Taos BootDoctors!). Also, I wonder if the green or red bindings would look like that 1994 Corolla where the owner replaced the right front fender but painted it a different color than the rest of the car.
Thoughts? Because it is all subjective, please don't be offended if I my ultimate choice is different from your advice.

Thanks!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd do green. My wife has them on her K2 Fulluvits. They're *snappy*!

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
With Soul 7s you need something to quickly tell them apart from the other 14 pairs on the rack. I have bright orange Look bindings on mine and it really helps. Go with the green.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Seconding black here. Least clash with the ski itself - yes the ski is mostly black, but that just makes the non-black accents stand out more.

What colour are the poles?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How tall are you, how much do you weigh, and what do you like to ski?

For the 188s get the red bindings so you look like a bad ass in the gondola line and can find your skis easier in the deep pow you ski all day.

For 180 go with the black to signify refined confidence in not needing to show off with the biggest ski of the lineup (I recently went from 184 to 181 and have black bindings).

Anything shorter choose neon green for some extra pizzaz and again finding the shorter skis in that soft snow. Definitely match with neon green poles and reflective green goggle lenses.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It's spring, flowers are blooming, etc. ....

I'm considering doubling my ski quiver by getting Rossignol Soul 7s as my soft snow ski (my hard snow ski is a Kendo). I think I'll get Tyrolia Attack 13 for the bindings. Apart from the actual merits of choosing this particular ski and binding, there is an important (!?) aesthetic aspect to this transaction: the bindings come in black, neon green, and bright red. Which to choose?
  • The skis are predominately black, so the black binding would be a stately, conservative choice. And Zorro was my hero as a young boy.
  • The green bindings would add some zing*, and would make my skis easier to find on a crowded ski rack after lunch at the base lodge. As you can see from my picture, the rest of my ski outfit has no "zing". (the counter argument is that black bindings would certainly be consistent with that overall gestalt).
  • The red bindings would also add zing, but the tone might be slightly off (and thus possibly clash) with the red/orange trim on my new Lange RX 120 ski boots (thanks, Taos BootDoctors!). Also, I wonder if the green or red bindings would look like that 1994 Corolla where the owner replaced the right front fender but painted it a different color than the rest of the car.
Thoughts? Because it is all subjective, please don't be offended if I my ultimate choice is different from your advice.

Thanks!

Black. No question. /end

James

Out There
Instructor
These are the skis?
IMG_6241.JPG

You really need yellow. Absent that, the Look Forza's red-yellow fade would be tops.
IMG_6242.JPG

Of your choices, Neon Green.
Black is about as boring as one could get. Even white on this ski would be better.

There's also Orange if you go Salomon Sth2 13 or Warden.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The obvious answer is POLE QUIVER... Yep, I said it and look at my pole quiver..
26904135_1958743690807826_3255167315952571306_n.jpg

Boot quiver maybe, but jacket quiver most definitely. Need a lightweight and heavy weight jacket that matches every pair of skis you own.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Color coordinating bindings can be cool, but becomes limiting later when you want to reuse the bindings (if you care about that sort of thing). That's why black always works.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you love the way they look sitting on the chair during the way up, you'll ski better coming down.
"Just the facts ma'am..."

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier
Best answer:
These are the skis?
View attachment 71164
You really need yellow. Absent that, the Look Forza's red-yellow fade would be tops.
View attachment 71166
Of your choices, Neon Green.
Black is about as boring as one could get. Even white on this ski would be better.

There's also Orange if you go Salomon Sth2 13 or Warden.
Truest answer:
If you love the way they look sitting on the chair during the way up, you'll ski better coming down.
"Just the facts ma'am..."
Wisest answer:
How tall are you, how much do you weigh, and what do you like to ski?

For the 188s get the red bindings so you look like a bad ass in the gondola line and can find your skis easier in the deep pow you ski all day.

For 180 go with the black to signify refined confidence in not needing to show off with the biggest ski of the lineup (I recently went from 184 to 181 and have black bindings).

Anything shorter choose neon green for some extra pizzaz and again finding the shorter skis in that soft snow. Definitely match with neon green poles and reflective green goggle lenses.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you care about maximum resale-ability or possibly using the bindings in a different ski in the future...black.

If you don’t care about those aspects, I’d go green.

TS
Jimski

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The winning reply is....
Whichever color you can find for the best price. Once you commit to a quiver, you have to keep feeding it. Save the difference for skis #3-6.

Ski Essentials had a combo package -- skis and bindings. Combined with the Pugski discount, it was a great deal!

Downside was: no choice of bindings color. So, for bling, maybe I'll upgrade to a flashy jacket... :ogcool:

Sponsor

Staff online