• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski Strava Club

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Since I will probably never have a week like this again, I had to boast with this screenshot of the weekly graph on the pugski club page. :) Forgive me.

Screenshot_20180608-181935.png

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Dude at work here did 300k in one day...15hrs in the saddle.. :eek: He's trying to get into the 2019 Paris-Brest-Paris..

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
@Rainbow Jenny, Ride the Rockies looks like a very cool ride but I wish they did it in the fall instead of spring so I had the summer to get in shape for it. Especially when you consider the altitude and the amount of elevation each day. There is no way I would be ready for that ride this time of year, if ever! I am training for Cycle Oregon http://www.cycleoregon.com/ride/the-classic/ in September and while it looks to have a lot of climbing it is nothing compared to Ride the Rockies.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Rainbow Jenny, Ride the Rockies looks like a very cool ride but I wish they did it in the fall instead of spring so I had the summer to get in shape for it. Especially when you consider the altitude and the amount of elevation each day. There is no way I would be ready for that ride this time of year, if ever! I am training for Cycle Oregon http://www.cycleoregon.com/ride/the-classic/ in September and while it looks to have a lot of climbing it is nothing compared to Ride the Rockies.

Hi @Jwrags, I appreciate your thoughts on Cycle Oregon vs Ride the Rockies. Have fun with Cycle OR!

Last weekend I had a blast riding the 72 miles around Lake Tahoe with a former classmate, his riding buddy C , and @luliski. Ride the Rockies idea came from C who took her dad’s place in it a couple years ago when he passed away unexpectedly. She has ridden it twice and was recruiting us to ride it next year. I’ve wondered how her father managed to train for the event from PNW like you. Anyway, we also talked about Cycle OR as an alternate too.

C made these events sound almost possible for me for the first time and that’s HUGE.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Rainbow Jenny, my sister has ridden Cycle Oregon a few times, and is registered to do it this year. I've seen you ride, and I've seen her ride. I have no doubt that you could ride Cycle Oregon! The whole trip sounds like a blast, too.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not a candidate for Ride the Rockies, but IIRC @Mike King @dondenver @UGASkiDawg, and maybe a few others have either done it or something like it.
It would be cool to have a Pugski Ride the Rockies crew.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Joined. I'm a pretty mediocre cyclist and I don't ride that much, but I like to see what other people are up to. :)
I have figured this out recently, as I get notices about what others are doing. I am one of those non geek geeks who forgets to turn my strava app on when I ride.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm loving seeing other people's rides and runs on Strava while I'm recovering from foot surgery, so turn your app on, @Tricia! I've also been going back through my activity log and adding pictures where I can. That's a fun way to relive some "epic"days.

I joined Strava in 2011, when it was quite new. There especially weren't many women on there, so I had QOMs all over the local climbs. Now it's exploded in popularity and I'm lucky if I'm halfway up the leaderboard. Now I look at the "my results" feature, where you can compare your times across the season or years.

I know some dislike Strava, but I've found it both useful and enjoyable for cycling and running.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have figured this out recently, as I get notices about what others are doing. I am one of those non geek geeks who forgets to turn my strava app on when I ride.

The newer Garmin and Wahoo devices automate this process: if you record a ride with a Garmin Edge or a Wahoo ELEMNT and it's paired to your smartphone, as soon as you save your ride it'll upload to Strava (provided you have it linked to either Wahoo or Garmin Connect). It's very simple. And using a GPS bike computer saves your phone's battery life - a win-win, I think! :)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The newer Garmin and Wahoo devices automate this process: if you record a ride with a Garmin Edge or a Wahoo ELEMNT and it's paired to your smartphone, as soon as you save your ride it'll upload to Strava (provided you have it linked to either Wahoo or Garmin Connect). It's very simple. And using a GPS bike computer saves your phone's battery life - a win-win, I think! :)

I bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt when I got my new bike and really like it. I have mounts on both bikes and moving back and forth is super easy and the battery lasts quite a while.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And using a GPS bike computer saves your phone's battery life - a win-win, I think! :)
I agree. Plus, there seem to be inconsistencies in distances and elevation gains with the Strava phone app. Maybe it's the GPS device that's not accurate-but my Garmin has been almost 100% reliable in terms of recording long rides, no battery issues, etc. even after 7 years.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just joined Strava and used it this AM for a short little test loop. Check it out.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have the apple watch which actually connects nicely. The issue isn't the technology. Its the interface between this human and the technology. :D
I actually recorded my short ride today before we had an appointment
IMG_0226.JPG

I got dirty and it made me happy
IMG_0225.JPG

I just joined Strava and used it this AM for a short little test loop. Check it out.
Since I'm not doing some of the trails that Phil is doing, while I'm building my confidence and skill set, this "strava" day showed that he has been getting in a little more speed and a little more riding in than I am.
I am feeling great about the progress I've made this season.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I haven't really used Strava in years, but just joined the club in case I remember to turn it on someday. I only have used iPhone to date, but have thought of getting some kind of GPS/computer. The sciencey part of me would like to be able to add power and HRM. The practical part of me just doesn't want to smoke the iPhone battery.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't really used Strava in years, but just joined the club in case I remember to turn it on someday. I only have used iPhone to date, but have thought of getting some kind of GPS/computer. The sciencey part of me would like to be able to add power and HRM. The practical part of me just doesn't want to smoke the iPhone battery.
I have just a Garmin Edge 500 and it works great. I also have a Forerunner for running. I like to geek out over the numbers, and you get more options with a GPS device (not to mention saving your phone batteries). I've done rides that took over 8 hours without shutting my Garmin off and had no issues with the battery.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I use my old Samsung S4 and carry a battery bank. I usually don't need the bank on up to 3 hour rides if I remember to turn off data/wifi/bluetooth. It all seems accurate enough. I mostly care about number of rides, hours, vertical and mileage. I'm not a slave to PRs especially since last year's ED visit, but its fun when they pop up.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January