• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski Name Convention,

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I've noticed that several members have changed their posting names from the name used on Epic Ski. Phil did explain his belief that adopting a posting name which uses the persons real name is a means of making posters more accountable for the quality of the post. For those who work in ski associated businesses, Phil stated that using a real name is a means of helping them build a better "brand" and bring more business to that person. So, let's talk about this for the everyday poster.

I choose to keep the name I post under in Epic and 3 other forums. I never, until recently, thought about LP as a "brand", but, it does represent me to those who only know me by my posting, for better or worse. Same with my thinking about others. segbrown and Trecchick will always be how I think of two great women, and, I struggle with a name change. Especially for Trish who has given up a almost a trademark name, while Phil continues to use his valuable trademark. Use of a first name just seems somewhat blahh and I miss the personality that is associated with a nom de plume. A forum can only have so many "Ron" type names (nothing personal, I know he uses that name in other forums), but, does this encourage RonA, RonB etc. I had to smile at Gerry Rhodes use of a personal name, only because of HelluvaSkier who shares the same last but his first is Greg. They only live 2000 miles apart and are in no way related.

I have an unusual last name that is frequently changed to something like dumb shit, so, no way that I will ever use my last name in a public forum. I am concerned that use of a proper name does set some up for harassment by the less responsible internet community, especially for women.

So, jjust my .02 cents, I'd be interested in others viewpoints in how Pugski should communicate expectations when selecting a name.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
LP. I don't feel I'm giving up anything here by dropping the Rossi Smash label that some may know me as. In fact within a few posts most regulars would know it was me just by what is in the posts I make or simply the writing style (or lack there of!). I always treated folks the same as I would in person, be it good or bad. As far as what you mention about possible harassment, well if they were 'themselves' you can see that they would be called out on it immediately.
In the end it's a personal choice but for myself I see only an upside going forward. Phil and I discussed it before this went live and I agree with his thinking on this. One can always scoot over to another "skiing" forum where folks hide behind screen names and act like asshats most of the time if you enjoy that sort of thing. I do not.

This is "Ski talk at a higher level", let's do what we can to make that true...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mike, sorry, I didn't convey my complete vision, it has been a whirlwind for us. My thoughts on using real names are not so much for civilian member but industry members that are here as professionals. I understand that some cannot use their real names for either privacy or security reasons.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
LP, take a look at this post by @Bill Talbot. We want you to be comfortable here. If you want to stay with LivingProof or if if you want to change it, we have the technology.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
LP. I don't feel I'm giving up anything here by dropping the Rossi Smash label that some may know me as. In fact within a few posts most regulars would know it was me just by what is in the posts I make or simply the writing style (or lack there of!). I always treated folks the same as I would in person, be it good or bad. As far as what you mention about possible harassment, well if they were 'themselves' you can see that they would be called out on it immediately.
In the end it's a personal choice but for myself I see only an upside going forward. Phil and I discussed it before this went live and I agree with his thinking on this. One can always scoot over to another "skiing" forum where folks hide behind screen names and act like asshats most of the time if you enjoy that sort of thing. I do not.

This is "Ski talk at a higher level", let's do what we can to make that true...

I recognized you from your quiver...

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mike, sorry, I didn't convey my complete vision, it has been a whirlwind for us. My thoughts on using real names are not so much for civilian member but industry members that are here as professionals. I understand that some cannot use their real names for either privacy or security reasons.
Thank you for clarifying. As I posted in another thread, I do prefer SkiNurse in the vast expanse known as the Wide World Web, than my real name for personal & professional reasons. But, then again, I also have other nicknames: Feather, Powkin & CJ and I'm sure there are several more that do not adhere to the posting guidelines. :p

Gaby

aka Noofus
Skier
I have no issue using my real name but I do find it funny to see next to forum posts. I chose to stick with my previous screen name only because others here know me by that. However I would happily post with my real name if that is going to be the forum guideline.

For what it's worth I like the idea of only "requiring" that of people actually in the industry. I do feel that we would all benefit from having our real names in our profiles even if it isn't what is displayed next to your posts. It gives you the same level of accountability without having to deviate from a "brand" you might have had before using the handle.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@noofus You could change you name to Gaby and where you have User Title on your page, you could change that to "aka Noofus"

TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I opened this thread with the intent of learning others opinion on the subject. Phil pointed out another thread by Bill Talbot who said:
"I am encouraging folks to use their actual names here @ Pugski. I think it is part of the feel that Phil and Tricia are trying to create here.
They want to take it to the next level where screen names are not needed as we are surrounded by friends. It also makes things easier to deal with as we most certainly will be skiing with other members. It would also be great if you would include where you are and what areas you ski most often. This helps with others understanding your perspective on skis, conditions, etc."

I'm not sure how "taking to the next level" and "being surrounded by friends" can be objectively quantified. Using Epic as a baseline, 99% of the discussion is at a pretty high level, and, I've always felt like a friend to most who post there on a regular basis. Meeting Epic posters for a first time was always enhanced because their writings convey great insights into their personality. Just my opinion, but, I don't need to know the real name to better understand them. My belief is the the future Pugski culture will be shaped by how the fourm is moderated when some testosterone loaded humanoid, hidden behind a keyboard, decides to tell the universe just how things should be done. I can think of at least one Epic poster who fits this description and posted under a real name.

So, in the welcome to the new Pugski guidelines, I would not put an expectation that a real name is used other than for industry insiders or commercially sponsored skiers. Both posting naming conventions should be welcomed. The welcome should make crystal clear the behavioral requirements to conform to "taking it to the next level".

Again, my .02....diversity of thinking is a good thing.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I opened this thread with the intent of learning others opinion on the subject. Phil pointed out another thread by Bill Talbot who said:
"I am encouraging folks to use their actual names here @ Pugski. I think it is part of the feel that Phil and Tricia are trying to create here.
They want to take it to the next level where screen names are not needed as we are surrounded by friends. It also makes things easier to deal with as we most certainly will be skiing with other members. It would also be great if you would include where you are and what areas you ski most often. This helps with others understanding your perspective on skis, conditions, etc."

I'm not sure how "taking to the next level" and "being surrounded by friends" can be objectively quantified. Using Epic as a baseline, 99% of the discussion is at a pretty high level, and, I've always felt like a friend to most who post there on a regular basis. Meeting Epic posters for a first time was always enhanced because their writings convey great insights into their personality. Just my opinion, but, I don't need to know the real name to better understand them. My belief is the the future Pugski culture will be shaped by how the fourm is moderated when some testosterone loaded humanoid, hidden behind a keyboard, decides to tell the universe just how things should be done. I can think of at least one Epic poster who fits this description and posted under a real name.

So, in the welcome to the new Pugski guidelines, I would not put an expectation that a real name is used other than for industry insiders or commercially sponsored skiers. Both posting naming conventions should be welcomed. The welcome should make crystal clear the behavioral requirements to conform to "taking it to the next level".

Again, my .02....diversity of thinking is a good thing.

In the social aspect of this site, (and other forums) I think you're 100% correct. We get to know people fairly well and have no problem creating relationships with someone with a creative username. Where we saw the break down is when Pros hid behind a screen name while behaving badly.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
How Can I change my name ? I want to model Tricia's profile with my AKA below.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Same with my thinking about others. segbrown and Trecchick will always be how I think of two great women, and, I struggle with a name change.

I'm here to blow your mind - segbrown and trekchick *both* use different usernames on skidiva.

@noofus You could change you name to Gaby and where you have User Title on your page, you could change that to "aka Noofus"

Hi @noofus ! I mean Gaby!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm here to blow your mind - segbrown and trekchick *both* use different usernames on skidiva.

Hi @noofus ! I mean Gaby!

What's segbrown doing on skidiva? She's a dude isn't she? hahahaha jk...

Jake M

AKA Gunnerbob
Skier
My EpicSki name was originally started as a temporary joke that ended up sticking, though the name was not my preference. I guess I get a clean slate here, so to speak, so I'm using part of my real name. I'm not an industry insider whatsoever, but I think have a somewhat of a sense of personal familiarity now, so this way I can also retain some semblance of anonymity if I choose. Win-win for me, I suppose.

Sponsor