• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski Golf Talk

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Old brockway GC down the street opened yesterday. First course in the Tahoe basin! Of course it snowed last night. Ponderosa in truckee will likely try to open this weekend.

These next 4-6 weeks are my favorite time of year. Last year did the "Tahoe spring 18" a bunch of times into May. 9 Squaw laps in the late am, followed by 9 holes twilight. Empty mountain and quick rounds.

You just have to play around the snow sometimes

Old brockway 4/11
image.jpeg

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
The above information is all you need until you hit single digit handicap numbers. Trust me, the game is simple

Skiing is simple as well. Just maintain an athletic posture, balance over your skis and pressure your edges to turn. That’s all you need to ski the diamonds.

Just as simple as golf.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Me and three buddies had a very enjoyable round of golf on Saturday, June 30, 2018 on the Mountain View course at The Woods Resort in Hedgesville, WV. The Woods Resort has two 18 hole courses and is in the far Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, about 15 miles west of Martinsburg, WV and about 90 minutes from the Wash DC area. The Mountain View course is the premier 18 hole layout there and is a true mountain course with nice, elevated views from many points on the course. It was a hot day, probably close to 90 degs, but there was a decent breeze at times and we were very much consoled by the fact that it would've been much hotter playing back home in the Wash DC suburbs. We played a best ball format and everyone contributed enough good shots to go home happy. The course was in great shape and not too busy. The greens were especially lush and friendly. We played from the old guys tees and I'm a hacker, but I guess my highlight was an 8 iron on a back nine par-three to within about 10 feet of the cup and then I sunk the putt. Here are a couple of photos.

Many holes had mountain views to the west.

DSCN1559 - Copy1.jpg

The picturesque par 4 16th hole was a great driving hole with views to the east of the Shenandoah Valley. The tee box was considerably more elevated than it looks in this pic.
DSCN15682.jpg

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
If you have money to burn, Wisconsin has a premier course/courses. I didn't even know we had dunes like this in the middle of nowhere. Friend works here and is also snow ski freak and bourbon lover.

http://www.sandvalleygolfresort.com/

Sand+Valley+%235+-+Website+Golf.jpeg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So watching the Open briefly..if Carnoustie is my local, people are looking for refunds! :roflmao: Just have to play the dirt wedge on every shot...:D

images

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
So watching the Open briefly..if Carnoustie is my local, people are looking for refunds! :roflmao: Just have to play the dirt wedge on every shot...:D

images
It's not my local but it is the next course down the road.
Trust me, it hasn't looked like that in 20 years. It's a monster course, probably the toughest in the Open Rota. However, hitting drivers 465 yards isn't golf. The fairways were running 2 points faster on stimpmeter than the greens. Rain today helped, but I wouldn't mind seeing a nice wee 25moh breeze get up tomorrow just to sort the wheat from the chaff.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Walking up 18 at The Ocean Course, Kiawah Island, yesterday. Wind was plus or minus 3 clubs. My first time playing it.
43ADFC4B-7AB0-48FF-A857-61E45228416D.jpeg

34524618-821D-4BEE-BE6E-AC999E38AF6F.jpeg

Enjoyed it and played better than I’m typically capable of, but would trade for long lift lines and a WROD.