• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski Golf Talk

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Shocked to see Tiger as the favourite in Vegas before the start..like, really? I mean, he's playing legit golf..but..he's been off a long time. Sergio's blow-up on 15 was something..I have to say, I've played greens like that and thought to myself, wtf are they trying to prove? Tomorrow..pulling for Rickie Fowler. Rory..meh...

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Rory is one cocky dude. I doubt Patrick Reed is going to sleep too well tonight. Odds are he will wilt tomorrow under Rory's heat, but if he keeps his hot putter it could cover a multitude of sins.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Reed is going to have a pretty bad meltdown to loose this one. I just don't see that happening.

Muleski

Inactive
I am no Rory fan, but I think tomorrow may be his day. If Reed's putting comes back to earth, we might see him come back to the field. Should be fun watching. Think this could be packed very tightly at the top of the board.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I am no Rory fan, but I think tomorrow may be his day. If Reed's putting comes back to earth, we might see him come back to the field. Should be fun watching. Think this could be packed very tightly at the top of the board.

Today was an entirely different game with the morning rain bringing those icy greens back down to a more spin friendly zone. I bet they roll them out tonight and with the cool temps they'll be like glass again tomorrow. Folks who played poorly Friday but well yesterday might be having trouble again tomorrow.. And folks who played well Friday but mediocre today/Saturday might be back on their game tomorrow.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It will be won on the back nine on Sunday. Cliché? Maybe doesn't mean it's not true. Don't count Speith out.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have no idea but folks on other forums are saying Reed is a first class jackass and that he's not liked by anyone either.. So, there's that..
tenor.gif

Muleski

Inactive
Wait, did Tiger win??

In many ways, yes.

Played four rounds in a major, pain free. Played Augusta on Sunday at two under.
Seemed relaxed, and pleased to be "playing golf" in his own words.

So....I think that's a win. Imagine If Hirscher couldn't just not race, but could not ski because of a back problem. Had back surgery, went through the medication issues, and then...was well enough to push out of the starting gate. Expressed that he was delighted to be there, on tour. Because he didn't know if he'd ever even ski again.

Tiger has a boat load of issues in his past, more than I'm sure almost all of us know about. But, I get the impression that he's overcome a lot lately. And he seems a bit more human. If the reporting of his pain is accurate, this was a big win for him.

His "being the favorite"....don't quite get that!!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Enjoyed catching the last half of the leader's round today. Now on to the real excitement.... WrestleMania Tonight!!! Woot woot!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
In many ways, yes.

Played four rounds in a major, pain free. Played Augusta on Sunday at two under.
Seemed relaxed, and pleased to be "playing golf" in his own words.

So....I think that's a win. Imagine If Hirscher couldn't just not race, but could not ski because of a back problem. Had back surgery, went through the medication issues, and then...was well enough to push out of the starting gate. Expressed that he was delighted to be there, on tour. Because he didn't know if he'd ever even ski again.

Tiger has a boat load of issues in his past, more than I'm sure almost all of us know about. But, I get the impression that he's overcome a lot lately. And he seems a bit more human. If the reporting of his pain is accurate, this was a big win for him.

His "being the favorite"....don't quite get that!!

Tiger will be able to really help revive interest in The Senior Tour pretty soon. I'm honestly looking forward to that happening..

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Spieth played an amazing round today; to get that close to taking it from that far back is incredible.

Fred Couples should get a little love here too, the guy is 58 years old and still playing hard against the kids (he doesn't get to play from the seniors tees either). He is another one with more than a few health issues in his past.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Rory got humbled today. Tough playing by Reed. I haven't really seen what he's done in match play in recent years. Apparently a very tough competitor.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I just started golf lessons in my mid-40s. Never played before, aside from putt putt. Does that count? I did play field hockey in high school, but that was a long time ago, and the swing is not the same. So lessons for me!

The Pro has been great, patient, and has taught me a ton so far in just four lessons. He said it's great that I don't have the bad habits built up. I'm just struggling to remember the proper stance/ball location/swing for each club. Not really hitting very far yet and definitely shanking quite a few balls, but the driving range is pretty inexpensive and a ton of fun. In our next lesson, he's going to take me out on the Par 3 (9 holes) for my first experience on a course.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@laine

I have a couple of hints for you:
1) at your level the ball position should not change much, assuming you are right handed, the ball at address should be positioned directly under the logo on your left chest. Only exception might be for a driver

2) proper alignment is critical, lay down a directional aid to help, improper alignment creates the need to make corrections during the swing

3) a decent (read not perfect) grip is important, otherwise once again corrections need to be made during the swing

4) once you have decent (read perfect is not needed) grip, alignment and ball position, ALL you need to remember is to turn back and turn through to the finish with 85-90% of you weight on your left (once again assuming you are right handed) foot. At the finish your right knee should be touching your left knee.

The above information is all you need until you hit single digit handicap numbers. Trust me, the game is simple

scott43

Skier
I'm not a great golfer..but grip made a huge difference for me. I changed my grip and went from a degenerate slicer to being able to draw or fade the ball at will. I always say, if you slice the ball you look like a hack..if you hook the ball you look like a pro making a bad swing! :D

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just played golf today, first time this spring. Feels kind of traitor-ish while so many are still skiing. But I gotta get ready for possible WV Open later this summer with Pugsters.