• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski.com is one of the "Top 5 Ski Forums"

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Just heard about this (regular on the AU forum).
The “frequency” measure is quite the lol.

Congrats on @Tricia and @Philpug on what has been created here in a relatively short time.
Definitely different in flavour to other forums on that list (not saying that’s a bad thing :)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just heard about this (regular on the AU forum).
The “frequency” measure is quite the lol.

Congrats on @Tricia and @Philpug on what has been created here in a relatively short time.
Definitely different in flavour to other forums on that list (not saying that’s a bad thing :)
Hey Jellybeans! How's it going in the Southern Hemisphere?
Been thinking about you while talking about the promise of a La Niña.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Freshtrackonline.com number 5???

I’m laughing my xxx out on that one! I browse it occasionally. It has how many active posters? 10??? It goes weeks without a single post.

Yeah, right.

Sorry, in that light, I’m not sure what’s there to celebrate being In the running of “top” spots.

James

Out There
Instructor
Freshtrackonline.com number 5???

I’m laughing my xxx out on that one! I browse it occasionally. It has how many active posters? 10??? It goes weeks without a single post.

Yeah, right.

Sorry, in that light, I’m not sure what’s there to celebrate being In the running of “top” spots.
I guess this is like Liftopia ranking Magic as #1 in North America.
Anyway, congrats to pugski for making the list.

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Hey Jellybeans! How's it going in the Southern Hemisphere?
Been thinking about you while talking about the promise of a La Niña.
No skiing here, stuck in a citywide COVID quarantine bubble :(
Nina doesn’t look too strong, but certainly will be back to talk about it more, once NH fall starts to come, and we can get the details.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congratulations to the site. I don’t know about algorithms, but for this skier Pugski is definitely #1. Between the Dependable information, the fact that it’s welcoming of all skier types, and the civility exercised here I am sold.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
pugski for all the factual stuff, newschoolers for all the skit, weirdness, edits and reviews on the parkstuff.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Truly a tribute to Phil and Tricia for all the "behind the screen" grunt work keeping this place up and running in addition to all the content they provide. Also, a tip of the helmet to all the volunteers and the members who contribute to this community. We are #1.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Truly a tribute to Phil and Tricia for all the "behind the screen" grunt work keeping this place up and running in addition to all the content they provide. Also, a tip of the helmet to all the volunteers and the members who contribute to this community. We are #1.
I don't know what the total number of members is but there is about two or three dozen that are steady posting members. I guess that is true with any organization and it's participating members.

NOIP

Booting up
Skier
there are so many more posts and posters at TGR. so I guess the question is what does top ski forum mean?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
there are so many more posts and posters at TGR. so I guess the question is what does top ski forum mean?
TGR is also a lot older of a site, it has been around for almost 25 years. TGR has expanded to be much more than just skiing and even spending time there (I do check in a few times a week), skiing is less of a focus of the site and has expanded into much more a social community with a multitude of topics no longer seeming to be the main focus of the site. TGR is just not the ski centric site it once was.

Last edited:

green26

Putting on skis
Skier
Congratulations and thank you for everything you do. The forum is invaluable, and in these weird and perilous times your site provides a space for some dreaming and optimism. Some times I just can't take the News and come here instead to be reminded of good things.

Skicomau

Ski.com.au
Industry Insider
Hello everyone

I am Richard from ski.com.au and I’ve been running that site since 1995.

This ranking of #1 is news to me too (discovered via this thread) so I thought I’d add my 2c as to perhaps why and dispel a few misconceptions.

Our forum was launched in Jan or Feb 1998. That’s quite a while back in Internet years and that also makes us one of the longest continuously running forums by founders anywhere on the Internet.

I’m also the guy that ‘invented’ snow cams, installing 17 snow cams across 9 Aus resorts in 1998 to create the worlds first web cam ‘network’ with complete coverage of Australia’s snow industry from the get go. (Every dog has its day in the sun and that period was mine).

However, we are not globally popular. Audience is 90+% Australian and always has been. I suspect that annual ‘page views’ and ‘unique visitors‘ (quaint old-school metrics but still somewhat useful) for Pugski already outstrip ours by some margin.

What we do have though with our community is age and history and depth of knowledge.

We have a core of perhaps 100 members who have been continuously active for over 20 years, a half dozen of which are founding moderators and still with us. We also have many threads that have been continuously active for over ten years (they would likely be older except we have had to move forum software three times)

As identified, the heart of our content is the depth of travel info, especially Japan and our ‘Trip Report’ culture by punters is strong. The other engine of our forum is the weather section. Snow in Australia is fickle and as a consequence watching potential snow storms form and roll in is taken very seriously by a great many Aussies. Thus our snow forecast pundits are collectively among the best anywhere and the conversation is very very technical.
We also have a large off-topic après section that motors all year round and the community is very tight and well known to each other, both online and offline (I’ve lost count of the hookups that have led to marriage over the years).

All that said, this forum is the only ski forum I take notice of. I’ve been loosely monitoring Pugski since the death of Epicski and I’m impressed with the ‘Article/Review culture you have cultivated - obviously driven by Phil. I also can see that Phil and Trish have got a very even handed tone with the moderation - no small thing that is waaaaaaaaay harder than it seems to outsiders.

Because of our .com.au domain and the inner workings of Google, we will never attract a truly global audience, remaining AU-centric so I’m sure that Pugski will be ranked by feedspot as #1 in good time - not that spurious rankings by some half-baked other web service means anything. Economic survival is the only thing worth applying focus to. That shit ain’t easy

cheers

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome Richard @Skicomau
Its great to have you here.
Phil and I both joined your site after we saw the rankings. Quite a nice site.
I'll try to pop in and particpate from time to time.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hello everyone

I am Richard from ski.com.au and I’ve been running that site since 1995.

This ranking of #1 is news to me too (discovered via this thread) so I thought I’d add my 2c as to perhaps why and dispel a few misconceptions.
It was posted on your own site HERE. ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online