• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pugski.com is one of the "Top 5 Ski Forums"

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We're #1 in the Americas.. #2 in the world. Anyone else think it's weird that an Australia based forum is so popular globally? I'd think Austria or some place in the Alps might be the top dog, but Australia??

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We're #1 in the Americas.. #2 in the world. Anyone else think it's weird that an Australia based forum is so popular globally? I'd think Austria or some place in the Alps might be the top dog, but Australia??
Honestly, I didn't know that forum even existed until I saw the list. It looks like ti was started around 2000, so about when Epic started. In lurking around the site, Pugski.com is referenced quite often. Congrats to them for coming out #1.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Don't want to piss on anyone's cornflakes but that's one hella weird algo that site is running if its truly ranking forums. J2ski is many things like a very useful database/blog but it isn't an active forum community like pugski and snowheads gets multiples of forum posts per day compared to J2ski. Example you have to go back to 7 November to find the last post on Equipment (hardly a COVID excuse there).

As for Euros - people are going to post to their local area groups etc in the main. In fact the whole concept of forums is a bit outdated - local groups on Faceache much though I hate it outnumber forum activity by heaps.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We were recongized and we acknowledged it.
I understand why some @SpikeDog mentioned weren't on the list if its truly about forums because most of those are blogs or data websites, but I was suprirsed at TGR's position as well, and I wonder where Newschoolers and SnowHeads are?

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
An Oz forum being the top ski forum in the world. That's the craziest thing I have heard for a long time.

I think Feedspot's moderation team have paid too much attention to their google search results (ski.com.au comes in top two spots on a search for "Ski Forum"). @Tricia they do mention newschoolers and snowheads in the "other forums" list.

So in fairness to Feedspot they may be moderating numerous blogs without community specific knowledge, therefore we need to apply our own ski community knowledge and get the following result:

Ski Forum
1. PugSki
J2Ski
2. TGR
TheSkiDiva
FirstTracksOnline
3. Newschoolers
4. Snowheads

Top result either way @Philpug and @Tricia :thumb:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
An Oz forum being the top ski forum in the world. That's the craziest thing I have heard for a long time.

I think Feedspot's moderation team have paid too much attention to their google search results (ski.com.au comes in top two spots on a search for "Ski Forum"). @Tricia they do mention newschoolers and snowheads in the "other forums" list.

So in fairness to Feedspot they may be moderating numerous blogs without community specific knowledge, therefore we need to apply our own ski community knowledge and get the following result:

Ski Forum
1. PugSki
J2Ski
2. TGR
TheSkiDiva
FirstTracksOnline
3. Newschoolers
4. Snowheads

Top result either way @Philpug and @Tricia :thumb:
So, you're saying we're number 1?
I did join the AU site and lurked a bit. Its got some good discussion. I'll pop back over when I have time.

Reactions: BMC

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Remarkable that the Alpin Forum (German/Austrian) is not in that top-5...
Suspect they are only ranking English language sites anyway and as we've said not distinguishing between blogs and forums. All seems a bit crude but then I don't expect they are doing much more than robo scraping some data and ranking based on it.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
Remarkable that the Alpin Forum (German/Austrian) is not in that top-5...
The Feedspot list ignores online forums outside the Anglosphere i.e. Alpin Forum (DE) and Ski Pass (FR) which is a pity because both sites contain a wealth of information and using today’s technology anyone with a Google Chrome browser can automatically read and translate.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

From my limited time on that forum, I can only take one guess on why they've created such a large global following...Australian skiers travel for skiing...a lot. Many take trips to the Northern Hemisphere during our winter, plus they have a good amount of resorts for their winter. This creates a pretty solid following year round. Plus, the site itself is an incredible wealth of information for ski travel advice; which I think would create a global following rather than a local one. I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of invaluable advice from that forum when planning my Japan trip...they have an entire Japan subforum.

Last edited:

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
Congrats guys. You both obviously work really hard at everything "ski" and I've personally benefited from your work many times. Thanks

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Ski Forum is a good site. I don't hang out there much but they have a lot of good info, even some Japan skiing stuff I didn't know about.
As @elemmac said, Aussies ski all over the world so if global traffic enters into the ratings...
Nevertheless, we know the real #1 :pug:

Sponsor

Staff online