• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Weather and conditions report for 23rd June in Nevados de Chillan......

They had the big storm as you saw reported here, but then it warmed up and they lost the snow down low. According to the official Nevados de Chillan social media feed, they were shy of about 25cm's from the mid-level down, so they have not opened the resort yet. Another big storm is on the horizon, starting Tuesday. If this comes in, then I think this will be the storm to get everything open and a big base established for the season.

Looking at the long-range forecast, there is a lot of moisture in this storm - https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/14-days/nevados-de-chillán_chile_3895086. This should be a good one. Let's see how it shapes up between now and Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

@SBrown will be there in Nevados de Chillan with her family on the 10th to the 20th August. Who wants to join her? We have 2 spots left for a couple of strong skiers.

- Matt

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This is as close as I'll get to chili powder this summer:

bbxVpM6zT2H7FSA5grjAY64RQLySZW3OgH_K4VQtT7Zbjt-fVsqddyT9-V4mkNtG7rw5agQyE3sg1h0yPbcfojtZwMrHt5He7E5gZT0g3nvuIxnXXpZm_3FRD2X70CDGOxNkGUpbgvWBE5fqLWaCVGjJnqX1EagMNquFrmGCBfOKdGRx7EI=s500-pd-e365-rw-pc0xffffff

I still dream of my 3 weeks in Portillo in 1977. I look forward to hearing about the fantastic time people have on this trip.

Edit: Linked image I meant to post.
81ttpjuimhl-_sx522_-jpg.48368

Curiously, the image I pasted shows up as I edit this post.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Going to Corralco, Chile with the family for a milestone birthday this weekend. Very excited, but strange to think about packing for cold and snow in the summer.

I think that's one of the things I like about heading down to South America; wearing shorts at the airport, pulling a ski bag and all the funny looks I get, even when flying out of Denver. Your timing is looking really good @Mister Mann, looks like a massive amount of snow heading that way (218cm's), starting tonight. You might even get a pulse of snow for the weekend you are there. I might swing down to Corralco at the end of my trip to check the place out. Have a great time!

- Matt

Mister Mann

aka ADKS
Skier
I think that's one of the things I like about heading down to South America; wearing shorts at the airport, pulling a ski bag and all the funny looks I get, even when flying out of Denver. Your timing is looking really good @Mister Mann, looks like a massive amount of snow heading that way (218cm's), starting tonight. You might even get a pulse of snow for the weekend you are there. I might swing down to Corralco at the end of my trip to check the place out. Have a great time!

- Matt
Thanks!

Mister Mann

aka ADKS
Skier

- Matt
Does anyone know if they rent AT/backcountry gear and have guided back or sidecountry tours at Corralco? I'm bringing my alpine gear, but hear the backcountry is phenomenal. I am not avi trained/experienced.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Does anyone know if they rent AT/backcountry gear and have guided back or sidecountry tours at Corralco? I'm bringing my alpine gear, but hear the backcountry is phenomenal. I am not avi trained/experienced.

I have some feelers out for you, I'll let you know when I hear back. The local rental store on the mountain doesn't have any BC gear for rent (apparently they plan to in the future), but I've asked about off-mountain rentals. If I hear anything, I'll let you know.

- Matt

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider

Here's a start for you. Try the Valle Corralco Hotel and Spa, they do some backcountry tours and there are people there that speak English - https://corralco.com/invierno. Maybe try sending them an email and see what they say? [email protected].

Mister Mann

aka ADKS
Skier
Will do, thanks. I think that’s where we’re staying. My wife made the arrangements, and she apparently has some connects there through work.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Will do, thanks. I think that’s where we’re staying. My wife made the arrangements, and she apparently has some connects there through work.

That's handy then. I spoke to a friend that runs avi courses up there and he says that finding a guide should be ok to do once you are there (sounds like the hotel can help with that), he says that finding touring gear and avi gear will be the challenge. He says best to rent in Santiago and then take down with you. Is that an option for you? I have a message out to the GM of the resort, we'll see if he gets back to me and has anymore intel.

- Matt

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That's handy then. I spoke to a friend that runs avi courses up there and he says that finding a guide should be ok to do once you are there (sounds like the hotel can help with that), he says that finding touring gear and avi gear will be the challenge. He says best to rent in Santiago and then take down with you. Is that an option for you? I have a message out to the GM of the resort, we'll see if he gets back to me and has anymore intel.

- Matt

@Mister Mann , I don't know about logistics or the appropriateness of skiing on AT gear for the duration would be, but you could just bring AT gear with you and ski it the whole time. It might be a less expensive rental and you wouldn't have to rely on local sources. I have AT gear that I ski inbounds all the time and it works great. YMMV.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider

Ok Mister Mann, some good news for you. The GM of Corralco (Mr. Jimmy Ackerson, thank you greatly for this!) got back to me today and he recommended Isoterma Cero and it looks like they do rentals and guiding, so a one stop shop with everything you need. Here is the website - http://www.isotermacero.cl/en/equipment-rental-2/. Sounds like the gentleman in charge, Ignacio Donoso has worked in the US so probably speaks some gringo. Here's his email - [email protected]. Best of luck!

- Matt

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Every time I see this thread I think about training DH at Portillo, being lodge bound due to too much snow and Pisco sours.

DSC06228.JPG
More of a beer/wine guy myself, but did have a couple of cheeky pisco sours last season during our cultural day......

- Matt

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
i would consider it but cant go that many days. I think 7 total is tops.

G'day Ron, well, if that's something you wanted to do, I could make that happen. I can price out a 7 day trip for you if you wanted (7 days airport to airport?). Start (in Concepcion) would be on the 10th August and we'd have you back at the airport on the 17th August. If you'd like me to price that together, then let me know.

- Matt

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mmmmm. Pisco sours. Valle Nevado also makes ginger pisco sours. Good stuff. On the rare occasion that I buy pisco here (I can get 3 different brands and a local small liquor store) I usually mix it with cucumber Dry Soda. A few other members here have imbibed in that with me. Interesting things happen after that.

Sponsor

Staff online