• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSIA lvl 1 exam

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
It was a 1-1/2 day event when I did it. There was some loose coaching on day one sprinkled between the questions we were asked. I gave some doozies for answers(!) There was a sheet of paper with some questions on it to fill out at lunch on day two, to check something about our knowledge level. After lunch on Day 2 our scores were tallied by the examiners. Then around 2:00 the announcements were given of who passed (everyone) and we were given our pins with a great deal of fan fare.

FWIW - I did my L1 in PSIA-East and it was a 2 day event (4 seasons ago). MA and teach were each about half a day and then a day was spent on skiing tasks (I don't recall how that was broken up). L1 in PSIA-RM is a three day event.

Check with examiners/exam prep guides in your division to see how they implement the national standard :)

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
There is also an online course that you can now take with PSIA (Eastern division, at least) for anyone affiliated or not, to see if it is something they would like to do. It goes over all the basics, teaching, guest services, basic tech, resort & industry knowledge, ect.

you can find it here:

https://lms.thesnowpros.org/getting-started/

I am happy and proud to say that I passed with only 25 years experience under my belt. ;) honestly, its a great introduction with a slightly heavy handed safety awareness portion towards the end of the course. you can take your time with it, revisit sections, take notes, ect....then answer questions about each section as you finish reading them.

There are also some great links to You Tube vids, pod casts, ect.

It may be possible to take the exam unaffiliated, but I have always heard that you do indeed have to be an employee of an active ski school to take the exam.....(not sure how I feel about that detail...I can see both sides of the coin...)

I have also heard that there is more content and expectations in the L1 exam of late. ( Including an online exam, workbook for some, more accurate task performance, professional knowledge, personal skiing, ect.....) But it is also an introductory course/exam with as much learning going on as there is examining....

either way, its a great way to learn as much as you need to directly from the folks who teach the teachers, so to speak....

the advice above is spot on...check with a ski school, even if it is to simply ask some questions....most directors and instructors are happy to talk with you.......

JP

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My level 1 which I took last spring was definitely harder than I was lead to believe. I ski in the northeast and my form to take the exam had to be signed by ski school director and I'd had to meet a certain number of teaching hours to qualify to submit the form. I'd heard the level 1 was easy peasy, everyone passes, all you need to do is show up, etc. I found the whole experience quite the opposite. In our batch it all depended on who your examiner was. One group had an examiner that kept them on all greens and their experience seemed eazy. My group's examiner took us on greens, blues and a black. He was tough, a ball buster and I took it as a 2 day intense clinic. Each lunch break was filled with verbal quizes. He wanted to make sure we know about equipment, could give a narrative about why our teaching mountain was good and just in general we knew all things skiing. When we weren't grilled during lunch he made sure he rode the chair with us to ask us questions then. He told us throughout the weekend that not everyone passes and this was an earned badge, not a given right. There was a lot of blood, sweat and that weekend. It was a very rewarding and intense but awesome couple of days. I learned so much. My examiner told me I'd improved significantly over the 2 days and that I'm very coachable and he liked that a lot. It was a great experience and I definitely didn't feel like it was easy and that I earned it all by lots of hard work. There are benefits to the certification. Having my Level 1 definitely helped me get hired at my vermont mountain and it got me a small raise at my local western Massachusetts mountain. If I wasn't teaching already I'm not sure I would have done it. After teaching for a couple years it just seemed like the next step in the cycle. It's definitely not a requirement to get hired at a resort but it gives you some credibility once you are working as instructor.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
@midwestfabs: "Reason im asking b/c it being end of the season and i was thinking of trying out for lvl 1 and come next season goto clinic, get set up at local hill to be mentored, get some teaching experience, etc."

My suggestion is to teach a season, then take the exam. The exam is also a learning experience, especially if one is lucky enough to take it with candidates that have lots of instructing experience. You will get a lot more out of it if you can relate the exam to some instructing experience of your own. And, one can take it with other candidates from one's ski school, so it can also be a shared experience with new friends. Finally, there's no rush. It's not like you will work on the Level 2 exam during the first season as an instructor. I took Level 1 at the end of my first season instructing.

@Magi wrote
"FAiling the level 1 usually happens because someone assumes they're "A good ______", never get feedback from an examiner, don't prep correctly, and proceed to fail"

That'd be me for my Level 2 exam.

@Magi also wrote,
"The level 1 in PSIA-RM is now a 3 day exam, with one day for MA, one day for teaching, and one day for Skiing"

and @LiquidFeet wrote,
"It was a 1-1/2 day event when I did it"

My Level 1 was at Eastern and was what @LiquidFeet described. The PSIA-RM exam seems so different. But, it is supposed to be a national standard, so I don't get it. Doesn't really matter. I still suggest instructing first, then take the exam.

For some reason +Quote is not working for me at this time.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
In Rocky Mountain, you do not need to be affiliated with a ski school to take the exam:

Alpine Level 1 Certification
  • Minimum 16 years of Age
  • Complete online E-Learning Module prior to exam
  • If you are affiliated with a ski school and have completed in-house training, you may go directly to the Level 1 exam, if not you must first attend the 2-day Level 1 prep clinic before attending the Level 1 on-snow exam
  • Attend 3-Day Alpine Level 1 Exam
The exam consists of three days:
Alpine Level 1 Exam
Day 1: Skiing Demonstration

This on-snow session will focus on personal skiing skills and demonstrations specific to the beginner zone. We will explore green, blue and maybe some easy black terrain. Skiing skills will be tied to technical understanding and to teaching application. Feedback and coaching will be provided to help candidates meet the Level 1 skiing standard.

Day 2: Movement Analysis/Technical

This on-snow session will focus on how to apply the skills concept by analyzing ski and body performance in beginner skiers. Practice, observing other candidates and guests, describing cause and effect relationships and prescribing changes that will enhance skiing performance. Receive feedback and coaching from your examiner to help you succeed.

Day 3: Teaching

Candidates will apply steps in the teaching cycle and make short presentations to the group. You will be asked to track steps in the cycle and activities as others present. Practice, observe and receive coaching from your examiner to become more effective with your beginner zone guests.​

If you are not affiliated with a ski school or have not completed new hire training at a ski school, then you must first take the Level 1 Preparation Course. This is the course description for the Level 1 Prep Course:

Whether you are new to the industry or you are an experienced pro and want to get better at teaching beginner skiers, this course is designed to prepare you for elements of the Level 1 Exam. Spend 2 days on-snow exploring aspects of teaching, movement analysis and skiing demonstrations for the beginner zone. This entry level, discounted course will boost your skills and resume when looking to land that first industry job.
Personally, I think it is a good idea to have some background in teaching skiing before starting to teach skiing. When I took the Level 1 exam, the first day was devoted to the fundamentals of teaching skiing, and the second day worked on our MA and skiing skills. The actual exam was on the third day. I thought that the first two days established a sound foundation to teach modern skiing.

Of course, your path depends on the availability and entry requirements of your division. Personally, I would not wait an entire season to take the Level 1 exam, but even if you do, I strongly suggest you get some good training on teaching skiing before diving in.

Mike

whumber

Putting on skis
Skier
My level 1 which I took last spring was definitely harder than I was lead to believe. I ski in the northeast and my form to take the exam had to be signed by ski school director and I'd had to meet a certain number of teaching hours to qualify to submit the form. I'd heard the level 1 was easy peasy, everyone passes, all you need to do is show up, etc. I found the whole experience quite the opposite. In our batch it all depended on who your examiner was. One group had an examiner that kept them on all greens and their experience seemed eazy. My group's examiner took us on greens, blues and a black. He was tough, a ball buster and I took it as a 2 day intense clinic. Each lunch break was filled with verbal quizes. He wanted to make sure we know about equipment, could give a narrative about why our teaching mountain was good and just in general we knew all things skiing. When we weren't grilled during lunch he made sure he rode the chair with us to ask us questions then. He told us throughout the weekend that not everyone passes and this was an earned badge, not a given right. There was a lot of blood, sweat and that weekend. It was a very rewarding and intense but awesome couple of days. I learned so much. My examiner told me I'd improved significantly over the 2 days and that I'm very coachable and he liked that a lot. It was a great experience and I definitely didn't feel like it was easy and that I earned it all by lots of hard work. There are benefits to the certification. Having my Level 1 definitely helped me get hired at my vermont mountain and it got me a small raise at my local western Massachusetts mountain. If I wasn't teaching already I'm not sure I would have done it. After teaching for a couple years it just seemed like the next step in the cycle. It's definitely not a requirement to get hired at a resort but it gives you some credibility once you are working as instructor.

Do you remember your examiner's name?

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
why it took 25 posts for us to list the exact exam requirements is crazy. thanks mike.

;)

JP

Sponsor

Staff online