• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
If this is directed at me, I am afraid not. There is a glut of Level 4's here though so could be someone I know. Feel free to send me a message and we can see who our mutual connections are...if not directed at me then forget about it!

Thanks Bud. Seems like a revival of the old epicski forum in these threads.

If you're in Banff, I assume you Know Kenji, Morgan, Roland, among others.

Dee

Booting up
Skier
Wow, this thread has gotten interesting again! David, thanks for the great contributions! First off, I'm an often and self-professed fan of CSIA. I've gotten a lot from their online information and videos. I'd love to run up to Whistler and do a 2-3 day clinic to experience things first hand. I've said many times that half my PSIA dues should go north. ogsmile

Relative ability of L3 in both associations... that's a tough one as it's inconsistent within our organization (PSIA). IMHO, the best L3 in PSIA are between CSIA L3 and 4. I think preparing for and passing CSIA L4 is certainly an attainable goal for this group. That said, there are all too many PSIA L3 who are no longer current and couldn't pass their L3 exam if they were required to take it again. This doesn't included those very special instructors who have great eyes and communication skills, are conceptually 'current', but no longer have the physical skills because of age or injury. What David said about 'where' is very important, both in terms of terrain, and the culture of the local ski school. The latter can't be underestimated. I have no first hand experience in the East, but from exam prep videos I've seen, it would appear that there's a lack of time and opportunity to work on skiing skills.

A quick question for CSIA members... Is there a mechanism for helping or requiring your members to continue skiing and teaching to individual level standards?
Yes - you are required to either take an online course or a certification class every 3 years.

Sponsor

Staff online