• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSIA Community Forum Help Requested

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Maybe from time to time this could serve as the "missing link" to encourage PSIA members who post here to head over to the PSIA National Community Forum to help us out with their brilliance by posting in a particular thread or two by over there.

Let me start. Any input which you could add to this thread would be helpful to me and maybe even others:

https://community.thesnowpros.org/c...digestviewer&ReturnUrl=/browse/allrecentposts

The thread was started by a good person by the name of Sue Trent who is trying to make that PSIA member-only Community site a more useful resource for PSIA members. You will need to enter your PSIA username and password to see or post.

Consider this the "Bat Signal" in the sky calling all you PSIA super heros for help in the Gotham City of forums - which unfortunately currently is the PSIA National Community forum.

Thank you.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Maybe from time to time this could serve as the "missing link" to encourage PSIA members who post here to head over to the PSIA National Community Forum to help us out with their brilliance by posting in a particular thread or two by over there.

Let me start. Any input which you could add to this thread would be helpful to me and maybe even others:

https://community.thesnowpros.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=325&MessageKey=1a186949-7ada-4169-bc14-003a2dec14bb&CommunityKey=89c2402e-da95-4fde-85df-c0907a7f712a&tab=digestviewer&ReturnUrl=/browse/allrecentposts

The thread was started by a good person by the name of Sue Trent who is trying to make that PSIA member-only Community site a more useful resource for PSIA members. You will need to enter your PSIA username and password to see or post.

Consider this the "Bat Signal" in the sky calling all you PSIA super heros for help in the Gotham City of forums - which unfortunately currently is the PSIA National Community forum.

Thank you.

Firstly - thanks for pointing out that we have a PSIA forum - I didn't actually know that.

Secondly - until and unless sane forum software is implemented there - I'll keep my posts here.

I couldn't figure out why my brain was melting trying to make sense of things until I finally figured out that it's a threaded discussion (responses happen to individual posts in order) but the display is linear so that posts happen out of timestamp order with no indication you're jumping between conversation points. The design is literally the worst of both worlds. I actually have a headache from that experience.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
PSIA has never had a good, readable forum for instructors to use for information exchange. They've tried numerous formats and moderation but never succeeded. They should hire the Pugsleys.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
What might be interesting if it were technically possible would be a PSIA/CSIA/your-nat'l-organization-here/etc.... forum that would have to have their current association card info on file to login. Keep it world wide. Require a photo of the card, school affilliation, for initial registration, and keep that private of course, but it'd be a lot of work for the host.

Last edited:

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Even though I don't participate in PSIA specific topics, I do enjoy following the threads as there is often a lot of interesting information in them that helps recreational skiers, like myself, appreciate the bigger picture. I believe removing that type content from general viewing could somewhat dilute the experience for non instructors. It would be a shame if some of the instructional threads ended up in a members only section of the forum.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
What might be interesting if it were technically possible would be a PSIA/CSIA/your-nat'l-organization-here/etc.... forum that would have to have their current association card info on file to login. Keep it world wide. Require a photo of the card, school affilliation, for initial registration, and keep that private of course, but it'd be a lot of work for the host.

Hopefully you can use their authentication via an API.

Even though I don't participate in PSIA specific topics, I do enjoy following the threads as there is often a lot of interesting information in them that helps recreational skiers, like myself, appreciate the bigger picture. I believe removing that type content from general viewing could somewhat dilute the experience for non instructors. It would be a shame if some of the instructional threads ended up in a members only section of the forum.

Viewing should be open . Just MHO.

Yes, but there could be content that only concerns PSIA instructors, such as getting ready for meetings, etc. That content would be ok in a forum only they can see and edit. They could also have forums where only they should contribute (questions on how to get ready for a PSIA/CSIA exam) but like you guys suggested, everyone can see. Obviously, the simpler thing to do is what you guys suggested.

One of the things we always emphasize is that the content we write helps a LOT more people than the forum users.
:pug:

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
I, like Sue have been trying to post over at the PSIA site and it is frustrating and a bit high effort to understand how the system works...the threads often dont make sense chronologically...making it difficult to want to join in. Still, though, I think it can be a work in progress and I do have high hopes.

Sue and I have talked with some members of the National team and mentioned our concerns. it is on their radar.

I support an open forum here at Pugski and dont think we necessarily need any separate members only areas for PSIA, CSIA or any other organization. but I like the fact that we are thinking about options, which is why I hit the like button for the suggestion.

Keeping an open format allows many view points and perspectives. something I have found extremely valuable. Pugski was built on open discussion, honesty, kindness, ect. that is why I stay!

JP

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I would not oppose having a PSIA forum open for all to read. I likely would not participate where others than registered instructors could post.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January