• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSA: That thing that covers your head and neck...

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I use "Buff" branded neck tube that has wind stopper in it. Got it at a running store. Then the http://www.facesavermask.com/. This leaves the mouth and nose free. I find the neoprene maskswith goggles push down on my nose and I can't breath. And anything around the mouth just gets wet and cold - ugly!!

As for Baklava....my small town Canada has too many Greek cooks. And the stuff makes my fillings hurt!!

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I have one of these: https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-coldgear-infrared-balaclava/pid1283116-001
And some days I also wear neck gaiter/buff with a breathing hole, and have one that’s thin and another that’s thick and fleece lined, got them both at Whistler.

All with a helmet of course.

The UA one is perfect, it's thin enough to get a decent helmet fit and it covers my neck and can pull it up over my chin or leave it down. I also have a Sugoi thermal hoodie that's almost as thin and love it as well.

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
if you can get a balaclava under your helmet, your helmet is too big.....:rolleyes:

and so help me understand this, many of you want a soft-eared or cut down helmet....and then you need a balaclava under it to keep warm???? too bad nobody has invented a full coverage race helmet that would do both jobs.....oh wait they have ......:popcorn:

Except I kinda like to hear when I ski, something that just doesn't happen in a full coverage helmet. There's also this crazy thing where it gets warmer sometimes, and I'd rather not have my ears melt off the side of my head when it's above freezing outside.

All that, and I'd rather not look like a racing nerd. :roflmao:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
My face is sensitive from some bad frost bite I got skiing an early tram. sometime I ll ski with out the ear muffs butt still use a thin buff. I hate race helmets for general freeskiing. Plus most helmets are adjustable. Today was the first day all year I wore an actual balaclava and I had to open up the back to let it fit.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I don't tolerate anything close fitting around my neck, mouth face and head. I don't own a single turtle neck shirt.
Loose fitting stand up collars are OK.
I'm rather fond of hoods on parkas, and a bit of a snorkel on the hood opening goes a long way to keeping the entire face warm.

Helmets have provided all the warmth needed, with the parka hood over that. Yesterday, it was windy and never got above Zero F.
My feet could only take about an hour and a half of that in one stretch.

No black lava for me! ;-)

James

Out There
Instructor
and so help me understand this, many of you want a soft-eared or cut down helmet....and then you need a balaclava under it to keep warm???? too bad nobody has invented a full coverage race helmet that would do both jobs.....oh wait they have ......:popcorn:
One of my great annoyances with the stupidity of helmet makers. Helmets used to be warmer than hats. Even non racing helmets. Now, most are colder. They became obsessed with being light and venting as if we all ski in San Diego. Result- helmets are functionally worse. 18 years ago I had a Giro with closeable vents. Way warmer than anything since. Plus, it held the goggle strap on the side. Essential for kids helmets but sorely lacking these days.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
One of my great annoyances with the stupidity of helmet makers. Helmets used to be warmer than hats. Even non racing helmets. Now, most are colder. They became obsessed with being light and venting as if we all ski in San Diego. Result- helmets are functionally worse. 18 years ago I had a Giro with closeable vents. Way warmer than anything since. Plus, it held the goggle strap on the side. Essential for kids helmets but sorely lacking these days.

For those new to the forums, @James has a Koroyd type Smith helmet - the rest of us are perfectly warm :P

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
PSA: That thing that covers your head and neck...

a mullet
balaclava.jpg

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
For those new to the forums, @James has a Koroyd type Smith helmet - the rest of us are perfectly warm :P

I have a Smith helmet with Koroyd too, but it's necessary in the relatively warm PNW - I ski with the vents open 90% of the time.

For the record the powder monkeys and I roll with BlackStrap. @skichickee uses her turtle fur sometimes when it's "cold":
1225171340a.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Don't get me started on the idiots who design helmets...Well, you have...
<Rant On>

I refused to buy any POC helmet for years because the fools couldn't figure out how to incorporate a goggle retainer. Seriously people? And that with their incredible "Design Lab". (Where everyone was apparently required to watch "2001:A Space Odyssey" once a day. Not that I don't love that movie)

"Oh, just use silicone on your strap." Or, omg, they put in a huge rubber piece in the back for goggle strap friction. Wtf? To attempt some semblance of function for those who don't essentially hot glue their goggles to their face upon leaving the lodge, they started with a stupid plastic piece that clips in. And out. Mostly out, because the designers, with not enough time after watching the Kubrick movie, didn't really make a piece that would stay in. "No one really needs that right? Nah. Hey, Let's go back to talking about the black monolith in the movie. Could we make a helmet like that? Yah!! But... it should be made out of air! " In the ensuing argument and philosophical discussion, the seeds for Koroyd were born. Somehow Smith got this, and to appease, apparently, the PNW skiers, they ran with it.

Judging from the statements below, PNW skiers essentially want a stocking that protects their head. So now the Smith designers mandate is how to make a stocking not make you look like you want to rob a bank, and give some protection?

The designers, freed from not having to watch Kubrick's 2001 every day, but apparently given to watching "Point Break" with Keanu, started a design meeting with- "Bro...what would a surfer use? Think about that."

Something light and airy, and floats was the answer. One should drown with their head up at least. Thus we have vents upon vents built on a vent. - Koroyd. Aka honeycomb. Doesn't look like you're going to rob a bank and works on Black Beach or the PNW slopes.

Now, those of us who don't spend all our time skiing in, apparently, the sub tropics, have a problem. Where once a helmet was warmer than a hat, virtually everyone would say that 15 yrs ago, it's now colder. So, besides the helmet, one now needs a thin hat under the helmet. A beanie. Or something that sounds like a Greek dessert, balaclava. Plus, the jacket hood.

At least jacket designers aren't like helmet designers. They make hoods that work with helmets instead of helmets that don't work with heads in a cold environment. Remember, snow grows there.

So one can wear the vents upon vents built on a vent helmet with the hood up over it. Because also, the bros took the surfer thing all the way, making the back much too high. No compensating fabric, god forbid, to keep one's neck warm. Hey, we're surfing, not drowning. Let the water slosh over the neck.

Thus one can get away without the beanie. Unless it's really cold. Then you need one or a Greek dessert.
<Rant Off>
PNW reference source below-
I have a Smith helmet with Koroyd too, but it's necessary in the relatively warm PNW - I ski with the vents open 90% of the time.
View attachment 36809

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@James ROFL! Yeah, the stupid clip on the POC helmets was worthless. However all they needed was a 2 inch piece of velcro instead. I have done that on all my POC helmets and solved the issue. Now that I have switched to Sweet helmets, they have a more robust strap for google retention but I may still change that to the velcro method

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
That, ladies and gentlemen, is how a rant should be done. Excellent.

Don't get me started on the idiots who design helmets...Well, you have...
<Rant On>

I refused to buy any POC helmet for years because the fools couldn't figure out how to incorporate a goggle retainer. Seriously people? And that with their incredible "Design Lab". (Where everyone was apparently required to watch "2001:A Space Odyssey" once a day. Not that I don't love that movie)

"Oh, just use silicone on your strap." Or, omg, they put in a huge rubber piece in the back for goggle strap friction. Wtf? To attempt some semblance of function for those who don't essentially hot glue their goggles to their face upon leaving the lodge, they started with a stupid plastic piece that clips in. And out. Mostly out, because the designers, with not enough time after watching the Kubrick movie, didn't really make a piece that would stay in. "No one really needs that right? Nah. Hey, Let's go back to talking about the black monolith in the movie. Could we make a helmet like that? Yah!! But... it should be made out of air! " In the ensuing argument and philosophical discussion, the seeds for Koroyd were born. Somehow Smith got this, and to appease, apparently, the PNW skiers, they ran with it.

Judging from the statements below, PNW skiers essentially want a stocking that protects their head. So now the Smith designers mandate is how to make a stocking not make you look like you want to rob a bank, and give some protection?

The designers, freed from not having to watch Kubrick's 2001 every day, but apparently given to watching "Point Break" with Keanu, started a design meeting with- "Bro...what would a surfer use? Think about that."

Something light and airy, and floats was the answer. One should drown with their head up at least. Thus we have vents upon vents built on a vent. - Koroyd. Aka honeycomb. Doesn't look like you're going to rob a bank and works on Black Beach or the PNW slopes.

Now, those of us who don't spend all our time skiing in, apparently, the sub tropics, have a problem. Where once a helmet was warmer than a hat, virtually everyone would say that 15 yrs ago, it's now colder. So, besides the helmet, one now needs a thin hat under the helmet. A beanie. Or something that sounds like a Greek dessert, balaclava. Plus, the jacket hood.

At least jacket designers aren't like helmet designers. They make hoods that work with helmets instead of helmets that don't work with heads in a cold environment. Remember, snow grows there.

So one can wear the vents upon vents built on a vent helmet with the hood up over it. Because also, the bros took the surfer thing all the way, making the back much too high. No compensating fabric, god forbid, to keep one's neck warm. Hey, we're surfing, not drowning. Let the water slosh over the neck.

Thus one can get away without the beanie. Unless it's really cold. Then you need one or a Greek dessert.
<Rant Off>
PNW reference source below-

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That, ladies and gentlemen, is how a rant should be done. Excellent.

I'm a bit miffed that we didn't have an imdb survey of the product naming clinic.

'Koroyd' obviously needed both an SF-horror B-movie and an Italian meta-philosophical sex romp (remember, they silicone the straps!)

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm a bit miffed that we didn't have an imdb survey of the product naming clinic.

'Koroyd' obviously needed both an SF-horror B-movie and an Italian meta-philosophical sex romp (remember, they silicone the straps!)

Hell, I'd settle for the MST-3000 version:

83eac191b022165844b39eda8cdecbe4--tv-actors-eps.jpg