• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear PSA - Mammut backcountry kit up for auction

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pugski.com is hosting some auctions to help the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame raise funds by auctioning off items that were acquired for the silent auctions at the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony which was cancelled due to COVID-19.

This is your opportunity to purchase some top of the line backcountry gear and support a non profit that honors those who've left an imprint on this sport we love.

This Mammut backcountry set up was donated to honor the Mike and Steve Marolt, who were inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2018.
The entire package is valued at $810.00 with a starting bid of $400.00.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post here and I'll be happy to answer.

All proceeds benefit the US Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame, a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit (38-2561101), and a portion of each purchase may be tax-deductible.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
That’s a really nice beacon. Can use lithium batteries, can switch to analogue mode.
It also has a sophisticated beacon checking mode to check the signal other beacons.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That’s a really nice beacon. Can use lithium batteries, can switch to analogue mode.
It also has a sophisticated beacon checking mode to check the signal other beacons.
What I liked when I was looking up information on the auction items is that the beacon seems to be extremely advanced, yet its built with a simplicity that an entry level adventurer can understand.
The importance of advanced and simplicity is that, when you need it you may not be in the best frame of mind and simplicity may save a life.

James

Out There
Instructor
What I liked when I was looking up information on the auction items is that the beacon seems to be extremely advanced, yet its built with a simplicity that an entry level adventurer can understand.
The importance of advanced and simplicity is that, when you need it you may not be in the best frame of mind and simplicity may save a life.
Definitely. I looked into them last summer, that’s the one I wanted.
Money got spent on the plane ticket instead.

You don’t have to use the features, but they’re there if you want to.
You can check the signals of your friend’s beacons way beyond yes or no. In Prochek mode it looks at frequency, signal period, and pulse width. It’s something prob best done well before leaving so someone could replace their beacon. Again, this feature is only there if you spend effort looking for it. The basic beacon check is there by default.
www.mammutavalanchesafety.com/2019/03/the-supplementary-pro-check-feature-in.html?m=1

It’s easy to update too.

If you plan on being in Europe, you can have the W-link switched to a Euro frequency by some dealers. I think. Or send it to Mammut.
The W-link supplies info on whether a person is moving slightly, and allows updates.

I would think it rare one would use this, though a guide faced with multiple burials might.

—————
Vital Data Detection
The Barryvox® S contains highly sensitive sensors (g-sensor) that can detect slight motion of the body, such as a pumping heart or breathing lungs. Any motion within a certain time is interpreted as vital data. The buried subject with a heart-icon
indicates high chances of survival. It can be assumed
that buried subjects, which have survived the first 35 min, are still able to breathe (air pocket), and therefore have increased chances of survival. At the same time, the detectability of
vital data decreases due to hypothermia. Therefore, buried subjects who have transmitted vital data for the first 35 min are considered to belong to the category with high chances of survival for the rest of their burial duration.
All the buried subjects, whose transceivers are technically
not capable of detecting vital data or cannot detect any for whatever reason, belong to the category unknown chances of survival.
If you carry the transceiver in a trouser’s pocket, the detection of vital data is not possible due to the almost non-existent movements.
—————-
Pg. 57-https://static.mammut.com/file/Barryvox-S-Extended-Reference-Guide_EN.pdf

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
F3C42484-2745-4DFF-9338-BCA2FA737F12.jpeg

The US Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame, in partnership with Pugski.com, is proud to announce the launch of a perpetual series of online auctions and a new online store featuring unique, limited-edition, and one-of-a-kind items. Our short-term goal is to raise the necessary operational 2020 funds for the Hall in lieu of the Sun Valley Induction being postponed; the long-term plan is to build a fan following and create online opportunities for collectors and historians to find neat gear and sport heritage memorabilia.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
WINNING BID: $451

Pretty sweet deal!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’d say someone stole it at that price !
Tried to get in on the action with :60 seconds to go and couldn’t bid ?!?
Oh well, hope it went to a good home.
I'm sorry about that.
:(