• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PRP injection report- On going with updates.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I don't typically post up on my injuries but since this is going to be about PRP which is still a relatively new and unproven technology (there is very little imperial data) , I thought I would post up my results.

What are they doing? I am having PRP injections at Steadman-Philippon in Vail in my Iliopsoas, TFL, Rectus Formoris, Glute Med and Glute Max They are a research clinic and treat the worlds top athletes. Their clinic has been researching PRP efficacy for many years. In my past surgeries there, I received PRP as part fo the surgery but was always told it was for research purposes and they could not say it would help with any certainty. However, they are now confident that for certain ares of the body, they are seeing demonstrable results. One of those areas is injections into muscles.

I have cortisone injections in my lower back (L4,L5, S1) with limited success. I will probably still have additional injections. I had an MRI this week to rule out hip issues and fortunately, none were found (I've had 3 hip surgeries) however, when they looked at the muscles that are involved with lower back pain, they found significant inflammation in the muscles listed. I've been in treatment of these muscles for several months (back before my feb hip surgery) for being inflamed and over-tightened and still get dry needling and massage on them.

For those that don't know, the Iliopsoas connects to the L1-L5 and can be a cause for lower back pain.

Here's a video on the Iliopsoas

So on October 23rd I will have about 120ml of blood drawn, spun in a centrifuge and the platelets re-injected into my muscles. Its an in-office procedure . I will be hooked up to an IV, given some valium, hydration and electrolytes and some other stuff to help with the loss of blood. it should take about 2-4 hours, more likely 2 plus hours.

I should start to feel results in the 4-6 week zone and I am not allowed to ski until 4 weeks. You can't fall or have impact on the injection zone. After 6 weeks is where most patients start to experience more significant results.

I thought I would post up a sort of journal and hopefully will have positive results.

added: steadman says at this point these injections are not successful for all locations, for instance, they are showing good results for Patella's, certain areas of the Knee, some hip issues, elbows and muscle tissue.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Your lower back pain is the reason for your treatment, n'est pas? Is this treatment intending to relax the muscles you mention? It is curious that you can't ski after injections into the muscles. I'm not doubting it, but it seems out of the ordinary for something as minimally invasive. But this is (pardon the pun) bleeding edge technology. I hope this treatment produces the results you are looking for. Pain sucks.

I recently had my knee scoped and Dr. Sterrett offered to extract marrow from my pelvis and inject stem-cells into my knee. I went for it. The results from SC therapy aren't supposed to be noticeable for many months.

I had to look up PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) and suspect others might have to as well. Here is an article I found. I can't vouch for the accuracy but for a layman it provided me with some idea as to what PRP is and how it differs from SC (Stem-Cell) treatment.

Stem-cell therapy and platelet-rich plasma in regenerative medicines

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
So on October 23rd I will have about 120ml of blood drawn, spun in a centrifuge and the platelets re-injected into my muscles. Its an in-office procedure . I will be hooked up to an IV, given some valium, hydration and electrolytes and some other stuff to help with the loss of blood. it should take about 2-4 hours, more likely 2 plus hours.

I should start to feel results in the 4-6 week zone and I am not allowed to ski until 4 weeks. You can't fall or have impact on the injection zone. After 6 weeks is where most patients start to experience more significant results.

Ron - Thanks for posting about this. I just met with a Dr who talked to me about doing PRP. He seemed optimistic, but since its not covered by my insurance (out of network) I am looking to learn more about the success rates of this type of therapy. If you have any resources you have discovered, can you PM me?

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interested in results, having the same issues for years and shots are not very effective anymore

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
It is curious that you can't ski after injections into the muscles. I'm not doubting it, but it seems out of the ordinary for something as minimally invasive.

as I said, you cant risk any impacts to the injection areas.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Ron - Thanks for posting about this. I just met with a Dr who talked to me about doing PRP. He seemed optimistic, but since its not covered by my insurance (out of network) I am looking to learn more about the success rates of this type of therapy. If you have any resources you have discovered, can you PM me?

I do know that not all methods are the same so be careful who is doing it. my insurance does not cover this. my cost is $1,500.00

I just added a note to the original post. The injections are not successful in all locations. read the bottom of the OP.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Doug Briggs the minimum time to wait is 2 weeks but for 1,500, I can wait two more weeks. :). BTW- I trust you are healing up well

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Doug Briggs the minimum time to wait is 2 weeks but for 1,500, I can wait two more weeks. :). BTW- I trust you are healing up well

They 'rolled' my SC treatment into the surgery so it was fortunately covered.

Yes, thank you, I'm doing well. I'm on track to be back to 'normal' at the 6 week mark, 1 week from this coming Tuesday. Woohoo. The biking season isn't over and I can dual-sport-day with skiing, too!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
They 'rolled' my SC treatment into the surgery so it was fortunately covered.

Yeah, steadman does that on all surgeries where they are doing the Stem cells. very smart as they know insurance won't cover. they use that for their research.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Inflammation is tricky...cause or effect. We truly hope this works for you. Sounds reasonable that tight, irritated muscles could cause lower back pain. Good luck Ron!

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the objective is for the PRP to help repair the muscle.

they no longer inject muscle with cortisone due to the damage it can cause

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
fyi- this is on hold. I have had a bronchial/asthma/gerd things going on for over 2 months and was put on antibiotics so this was cancelled. I am waiting to be rescheduled however, it will most likely be late November meaning I couldn't ski until late December. Thats not good. :). I will see if I can just ski reasonably and maybe look at it in April. In the meantime, they can do more spinal injections and possibly Traumeel injections.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:( so sorry Ron. Seems unfair. Here is hoping for health for you.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Best wishes, Ron.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
...I recently had my knee scoped and Dr. Sterrett offered to extract marrow from my pelvis and inject stem-cells into my knee. I went for it. The results from SC therapy aren't supposed to be noticeable for many months.

I had to look up PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) and suspect others might have to as well. Here is an article I found. I can't vouch for the accuracy but for a layman it provided me with some idea as to what PRP is and how it differs from SC (Stem-Cell) treatment.

Stem-cell therapy and platelet-rich plasma in regenerative medicines

The doc that injected stem cells and platelet rich plasma into my knees gave me this layman's description: The stem cells from my hip bone marrow will grow into new cartilage. The stem cells extracted from my fat tissue will provide a matrix for that growth (mini-liposuction). The PRP from my blood will nourish the stem cells. The benefit was very good. It took about 4 months to get back to full speed. His injections were about 20 cc, and he used an ultrasound at the time to get the injection into the right spot. There was trauma just from the volume of the injection that took time to work out. He said that a Harvard study showed that the larger volume produced better results. In other parts of the world one's stem cells would be cultured (grown in a lab) to increase the volume. Here they're not allowed to culture them, so larger amounts need to be drawn. The 1st ski season after the procedure went fine. At the start of the 2nd ski season I had some knee pain, so he gave me another PRP injection. That worked very well. I feel good to go now at the start of the 3rd ski season after the procedure. For the procedure the doctor, his medical assistant, and a tech from the centrifuge company were in the treatment room with me. They centrifuged on the spot. He says he prefers this brand of centrifuge due to it's larger volumes...their web site offers some info: https://www.emcyte.com/pureprp-sp.html

My knees aren't yet bad enough for replacements--they just hurt when I was having fun. A friend got the same treatment, she needed replacements but wanted to avoid it, and the injections didn't work for her. I guess there wasn't enough cartilage left in her knees to work with.

Be wary...there's a lot of scam out there. If it's not your stem cells...I'd avoid it. Here some chiropractors buy processed stem cells made from amniotic fluid or umbilical cord, hire a nurse-practitioner for a day to do the injecting, and collect a lot of money. My doc said that the processing to prevent infection and rejection killed the stem cells.

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
Reviving this old thread as I am planning on having PRP injection done on my arthritic knee in 2 weeks. Different than in a muscle as you were planning (did you ever have it done?)

Anyone else have any experience with PRP for knees?

Reactions: AJM

Sponsor

Staff online